Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Posted

Just thought i would have a moan about having no snow in early November lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I had snow on Sunday, but would prefer it on a Saturday....damn weather, can't get anything right.....does that qualify as a moan?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Did anyone rate this easterly from December 1997?

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=omMQlzjufk0

brought quite a bit of snow to the south west only a short lived affair though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Did anyone rate this easterly from December 1997?

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=omMQlzjufk0

Yeah it was great for me, Wed 17th was a very snowy day, but turned mild on 18th

Ive still got to get used to AJ, still thinkikg wat he has I have as well, but I am still completely snowless this autumn/winter so far

Edited by ihatetherain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

That December 1997 easterly was a non-event in Tyneside- three dull days with a bit of drizzle, then a belt of rain and sleet moved up from the south. The south was colder though, presumably due to the shorter track over the North Sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

I would like to moan about some people on the winter thread who say winter is over, because they saw one mild model run. Also people who say we are 'overdue' a certain weather type, it is ridiculous. Rant over Posted Image

Edited by Barry95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Last winter was great here - so sunny and wonderfully mild (and sunny!) over christmas made travelling to & from gatherings much easier. I walked home in a t-shirt on boxing day!

The big snow dumping in Feb topped it off.

Worst winter weather is always the raw, cold & cloudy stuff off the North Sea courtesy of easterly winds. No frost, no snow, no sun, no temperature variation day & night - just gas sapping raw, dull cold.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

from what i heare on this and another forum the euro seasonal has updated and they going for a mild winter. Now i could have red it wrong, i hope we dnt get another 2011-2012 even the feb snow only lasted lessthan 12h.

from what i heare on this and another forum the euro seasonal has updated and they going for a mild winter. Now i could have red it wrong, i hope we dnt get another 2011-2012 even the feb snow only lasted lessthan 12h.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm more with Bottesford on this one- if I had to cite a least favourite winter weather pattern, it would probably be those dry cloudy east/south-easterly types with relatively mild air at the 850hPa level but surface cold off the continent, resulting in stratocumulus underneath an inversion, unrelenting greyness, temperatures between 2 and 5C by day and night and a bitter wind. Similar conditions can arise in association with anticyclonic gloom but without the cold wind.

The Jan and Feb sound horrid, the Dec not too bad at least dry, SE winds i would have thought very snowy for aberdeen, coming off north sea

Only if they are cold in the upper atmosphere (see above). I'm guessing that the 4 days of snow lying would have resulted from the brief easterly incursion at the end of January 1972- the trough that formed on the 31st would probably have helped to deliver a fair number of snow showers to eastern Scotland:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1972/Rrea00119720131.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1972/Rrea00219720131.gif

I can't deny that I often get quite bored with some varieties of Atlantic-driven weather, particularly the type with persistent high pressure to the SE and belts of grey drizzly weather interspersed with dry bright interludes and the ridging high preventing any sunshine-and-showers days, but it still contains more of interest than those cloudy south-easterlies, and the milder temperatures make it possible to go outside without having to wrap up excessively.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm feeling a little dispondent this morning I have to say with the ECM and CFS seasonal models pointing towards prevailing mild condtions to feature. Also the strat doesn't seem too promising at the moment either. Just waiting for the Met Office seasonal model to back away from the cold outlook now.....Today's Met Office 16-30 day forecast is also more uncertain regarding the chances of colder weather occuring at the end of the month into December.

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Cold fans worst type of set-up! This from early January 1998

Absolutely horrific, pleasant nevertheless...but horrific! Posted Image

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i would haf to say i agree with u there don it is rather disapointing, ah wel i suppose it was expected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I'm feeling a little dispondent this morning I have to say with the ECM and CFS seasonal models pointing towards prevailing mild condtions to feature. Also the strat doesn't seem too promising at the moment either. Just waiting for the Met Office seasonal model to back away from the cold outlook now.....Todays Met Office 16-30 day forecast is more uncetain regarding the chances of colder weather occuring at the end of the month into December.

All I can say is that the CFS tends to chop and change, if you are feeling despondent, remember that the MetOffice are pointing towards a much colder than average scenario towards the end of the month, the BBC have also created a video on this as well...something must be brewing.

Posted

All I can say is that the CFS tends to chop and change, if you are feeling despondent, remember that the MetOffice are pointing towards a much colder than average scenario towards the end of the month, the BBC have also created a video on this as well...something must be brewing.

True but today's Met office 16-30 day outlook appears to be more uncertain about the colder than average option for the end of the month although they still favour it over a milder scenario.

Posted

Yup, even by lower standards last winter was pathetic especially in this area where we had to make do with mostly rain/freezing rain rather than snow during that so called 'cold snap' so a repeat of that doesn't even bare contemplating.

Posted

Winter is nearly here, will it be cold, will it be mild, will it be in between the two, have recent forecast updates left you confused, worried we're in for a drizzle fest or maybe you're hoping the snow stays away? If the rollercoaster is starting to make your stomach churn, please post in here and let it all out Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Well, I think most of the regular visitors know my emotions.

Hows this for one....this Winter is going to SUCK if you are looking for cold and snow, and I'll be only too happy to eat my words come March / April.

I think this Winter will be the mildest since 2007/2008 , dominated by High pressure to the South of the UK, the Azores High will set up shop, shift around from time to time, it will be wet, windy and god damn awful for anything remotely cold and snowy, give or take a few topplers and just maybe we'll get lucky and it'll have a sting in it's tail.

Posted

We just about to see a major change in the jet stream on the eastern side of USA which is bound to effect Europe, plus extremely low solar activity ,IMO we about to enter a major change in European weather .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Hows this for one....this Winter is going to SUCK if you are looking for cold and snow, and I'll be only too happy to eat my words come March / April.

I think this Winter will be the mildest since 2007/2008 , dominated by High pressure to the South of the UK, the Azores High will set up shop, shift around from time to time, it will be wet, windy and god damn awful for anything remotely cold and snowy, give or take a few topplers and just maybe we'll get lucky and it'll have a sting in it's tail.

I just do not see any logic in what you say, i am not saying for one minute that a cold winter is nailed, if i were pressed i would say a degree or so below average as a whole with some spells of potent cold, January below and feb well below, December around average but with some cold spells, however, no certainty in anything at this stage, i think we will just miss out on an early cold spell TBH, and i can see logic in people saying that, even then though there is no certainty, i just dont see how you can write it off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

We just about to see a major change in the jet stream on the eastern side of USA which is bound to effect Europe, plus extremely low solar activity ,IMO we about to enter a major change in European weather .

Well nothing will change in the near future, what is being modelled for the next few weeks is pretty normal for November. But certainly, an interesting period coming up at the end of the month.

It's the Met Office v Netweather...who wins? The weather decides haha!

I just do not see any logic in what you say, i am not saying for one minute that a cold winter is nailed, if i were pressed i would say a degree or so below average as a whole with some spells of potent cold, January below and feb well below, December around average but with some cold spells, however, no certainty in anything at this stage, i think we will just miss out on an early cold spell TBH, and i can see logic in people saying that, even then though there is no certainty, i just dont see how you can write it off.

Well to be fair, it is the emotions thread...

?

Is this based on anything other than pessimism?

Posted Image

Edited by Chris D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

?

Is this based on anything other than pessimism?

Edited by snowstorm445

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Well nothing will change in the near future, what is being modelled for the next few weeks is pretty normal for November. But certainly, an interesting period coming up at the end of the month.

It's the Met Office v Netweather...who wins? The weather decides haha!

Well to be fair, it is the emotions thread...

Yes, i am not having a dig, i am all for free speech, its just that i think even this time last year it was too early to write off, it would have only needed a few hundred miles shift North in the wavelength pattern (feb) and we would have had an 87 on our hands, no one could have been that precise at 3 months, GP came closest, best LRF ive ever seen from the best LR forecaster ive ever seen, as explained in vid, no overriding signals for a strong jet this year.