Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Posted

snow has turned into a slushy mess now, and it is a hassle to walk in, since we aren't gonna have a fresh top up, i say roll on the weekend and the milder air to clear this disgusting slush

didn't do that great here tbh only the three inches, but it was still a decent cold spell in terms of the longevity, usually its a two day toppler then back to mild crap but two weeks of cold. albeit not very cold is good for this country, it would be silly to expect weeks and weeks of cold and snow consecutively

Edited by Snowy Easterlies
  • Like 1

Posted

Agree re above, also there are reports of dogs becoming very sick and worse because after a walk they lick their paws and ingest the salt which can lead to severe de-hydration and the de-icing chemicals can be fatal to dogs. Screen wash contains ethylene glycol. I love the snow, but but it may be a good idea to wash/wipe dogs paws in fresh water before they lick themselves.

Edited by Golden Hound

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

What we need is a NEly, Nly or NWly like Dec 2010 which was super sunny for northern and western areas. This SEly flow is a real drag, but it's worth it if it means I can have a decent snow cover. Better than cloudy and wet, anyway.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

snow has turned into a slushy mess now, and it is a hassle to walk in, since we aren't gonna have a fresh top up, i say roll on the weekend and the milder air to clear this disgusting slush

Here here, although I dislike snow generally I am looking forward to the heavy snow event at the weekend if it happens, I love big snow to rain events, the fun of watching snow fall and sticking knowing its got its card marked, then just vanishing later as the rain moves in, the contrast is great, not sure if this is how it will actually pan out here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunder

Nothing all winter but heavy rain, even starting to flood in my lanes. Only snow seen was a slight dusting this morning, not even covering everywhere. Got a weather warning Friday and Sunday for more...heavy rain!

Posted

Just like to say that I fully concur and agree with what teits posted this evening on the models thread

The last week or so was good from a coldies pov, but let's not kid ourselves we were lucky.

No heights have been evident to our North all Winter and the recent cold spell was from a flimsy half hearted high cell to our Northeast

Is this stratosphere warming over analysed for delivering cold to the UK - YES

Are long range forecasts becoming more accurate beyond say 10 days - NO

I mean c'mon this cold spell was average fare and as teits and Steve Murr say sure any ol winter will give some few days of cold

No matter what comes in February this Winter has been a disappointment more particularly becuase lrf's have been almost completely inaccurate.

Nobody blames anyone for having a go at them, but I blame myself and other for believing them!

Posted

20 years ago and a kick in the teeth for snow fans. A chance of snow further south which had virtually seen no snow by that stage of winter 1992-93, 24th January. Ian McCaskill warns a spell of severe wintry weather from an Arctic Northwesterly with snow showers coming through the Cheshire Gap, blizzards in the north and lying snow from North Wales northwards. The Granada TV region even gave a flash warning.

What happen? Nothing. We had a few rain and hail showers but that was it. Woke up next morning to a green landscape and scratching my head what went wrong.

• Like 1

Posted

Some of the posts in here show how our expectations have been increased/skewed by the 2009/10 freezes. I myself feel disappointed by this cold spell, mainly because it hasn't been that cold, and there have been occasional thaws. But when we look at it, by Friday we/I will have had 16 days of cold, several days with snow falling, 10 days of snow lying in varying amounts & 5 consecutive days of complete snow cover. That puts it up with, and probably beyond, any cold spell between February 1993 and November 2009. And this is before a potential heavy transitional snow storm on Friday.

Also, December wasn't that bad temperature wise either, sure all the rain was awful, but the first half was quite pleasant and frosty, with lower temperatures than we have had in this spell. And we still have February to come, which may turn out to be a corker, or might not. This cold spell came out after a rank spell of model watching, whats to say after a week of our normal weather we wont start to see something more interesting?

Edited by trickydicky
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

[whats to say after a week of our normal weather we wont start to see something more interesting?

Somehow, I very much doubt it.

As you quite correctly say, this cold spell wasn't that cold, although some of the higher areas around here had quite a lot of snow. The whole event really was quite strange.

It's also odd that the mid February cold spell, so confidently predicted earlier in the week, has been so suddenly dropped by the Met Office. I assume the BBC will follow suit this Monday ?

I do have the feeling thats it for this winter, sadly.

5 weeeks tomorrow will be the 1st March, by which stage we might as well forget it. 9 weeks and it'll be Easter.

I'll be glad when it's spring/summer.

• Like 1

Posted

Do you remember seeing these type of weather broadcasts during the 90s and 00s wondering why can somewhere like Jerusalem can get all this snow and we can't?!

28th January 2000

Oh yes, remember plenty of this sort of thing during the virtually snowless (here) 1997-2000 period in particular. Jerusalem and Athens seemed to be the places to go to see snow then! Also remember in about 1993 being reminded what snow looked like while watching the Italian football on Channel 4 that was on around then. At the time there had been no lying snow here since Feb 1991

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I am very disappointed with this winter personnally especially after all the hope and hype back in the autumn. Back then things were looking good,there was a bit of or at least attempted northern blocking about ,disoraganised PV,good snowcover over Asia,it looked like we could see some blocking at times over Greenland during winter etc etc. But in the end this winter has flattered to decieve. I think we've only ever really flirted with the cold especially here in Ireland and western parts of the UK. True some parts of the east UK have not done too badly but taking the BI as a whole it hasnt been great.

The most disappointing aspect of it all has been the lack of northern blocking and the NAO never going negative. When that infamous debacle happened in Dec i felt hmmmmm maybe not going to be our year and thats how it has turned out (though im sure there are some in eastern UK who are happy enough with their lot). The models have not been great this winter imo and have often led us down the garden path i wonder what has been the average timescale for FI this winter 72 hrs?

It has been an improvement on last winter it must be said but nothing too drastic hopfully next winter will see a further improvement.

Posted

As much as IB has gotten stick for it I think to say but the more modern type weather pattern tendencies have had an impact on this winter as you bet your bottom doller that we wouldn't have had quite this many near misses back in the old days.

Don't really hold out much hope for next two seasons either given these factors, it'll probably be yet another Greenland high dominated summer followed by a raging Zonal Bartlett type pattern next winter, see this forecasting malarky isn't really so hard when you think about lol

Edited by SnowObsessor90

• 8 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters
IB and SH, Would you kindly decipher why you believe Past and current output displayed, Leads to a short cold blip, Leading to average zonality. I know the strat thread concluded by Ian stated, Zonal December, However is any UK Winter that straight forward from output, Every Winter output starting, Starts with awesomeness, To be downgraded or a non starter, However 3 bites of the cherry, Brings the Winter Nitro Express charging in and maybe JUST maybe we get a Winter to really remember.However what models have seem to (Not go with the flow) GFS and The ECM, Both have varied step runs, With no sustained pattern,However UKMO AND the Meto seem to have great confidence In the hopefully true Outcome. 

Many thanks Guys.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

So after days of model watching it all boils down to a breif cold snap then? Was under the impression we were set for a long spell of cold setting in. But looks like we have all been made fools of by the models once again. But i guess a few days of cold and frosts is better than nothing i suppose. seems to me we will be heading back to a westerly regime in the not too distant future. Which would tie in well with rjs forecast. Looks like madden will be wrong though. So i guess every cloud has a silver lining.Posted Image

Posted

Anyone know what piers corbyn is predicting

No one seems to know, he doesn't give much away tbh. If you go on his website and read some of the comments sometimes there's a few hints there but thats all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Remember this one from 3rd February 1994. We had heavy wet snow and a freezing easterly wind from thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Ag2iwN-KkAnd will it rain or will it snow from 3rd February 2001http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7DG8k-6JrQ

2nd one rings no bells for me, must have missed out (or listening to the new Atlantic 252)

3rd Feb '94 I do remember, very heavy snow almost blizzard like in strong E wind, but thaw soon arrived from the south

Posted

Do you remember seeing these type of weather broadcasts during the 90s and 00s wondering why can somewhere like Jerusalem can get all this snow and we can't?!28th January 2000http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsVk0OxXqhE

Yes, this was at the time when the jet was rampant to our NW in the winter periods, so that HLB could not be achieved, hence given the right setup, the cold was sent in no particular order to Eastern Spain, North Africa, Cyprus, Greece, Turkey and as Kev shows even into Israel on that occasion.

Posted

20 years ago and a kick in the teeth for snow fans. A chance of snow further south which had virtually seen no snow by that stage of winter 1992-93, 24th January. Ian McCaskill warns a spell of severe wintry weather from an Arctic Northwesterly with snow showers coming through the Cheshire Gap, blizzards in the north and lying snow from North Wales northwards. The Granada TV region even gave a flash warning.What happen? Nothing. We had a few rain and hail showers but that was it. Woke up next morning to a green landscape and scratching my head what went wrong.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1FnsszcV4w

I remember this let down and watching Countryfile with  a little bit of surprise at the forecast. Without the benefit of computers impossible to know what went wrong, but I don't think anywhere had snow from this one. We will never know what exactly what went wrong but the actual never suggests anything like the forecast unless you were on a hill in N Scotand :

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1993/Rrea00119930124.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A few light snow showers here on the morning of the 25th from that  'event'. There was a trace of lying snow but not enough to count as a morning with lying snow. The maximum temp' was 2.2c on the 25th but by the 26th the colder air had gone and the max' was 7.9c.