Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Posted

funny how we all get excited about an inch or two of snow, a lot of people got nothing or a dusting, they would laugh their heads of in other countries at us, even algeria and Jerusalem do better for snow than us at times

just a pathetic dusting here by the way, no need for you guys in wales or the west to be jealous of me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

4 Degrees Celsius and rain last night and today in Chester and Birchwood as the warnings shift east and everyone else gets snow. Seriously.

Well, onto the weekend perhaps? Would love the UKMO from earlier today to verify on Saturday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Marginal event here in Guildford with a pleasing hour of moderate snow from 11 am to noon, when I happened to be cycling in it, so got full effect of the days offerings. The overnight dusting was thawing by this time and the new snow was not settling. The dreaded rain set in after 1 pm. Heavy shower this evening with ice pellets leaving slush on skylights for a time. Horrible damp and yukky cold now with temps just above freezing and everything soaked. Debating whether to have bike ride tomorrow early but don't feel at all motivated with the bone aching damp and cold.

Dreadful inaccuracy in Daily Express with the usual culprits coming out with even more tosh and bilge than usual. It was suggested that 1993 (20 years ago) was a cold winter! 1992~1993 was one of the most snowless, depressing and dreary winters I have ever had my misfortune to experience. Indeed, more snow fell today than in the whole of that winter. Many 'feet' of snow are to be expected in the U.K. - what? 12 inch imperial feet or cats feet (eg. 4 cm units). Nuthouse so-called experts in this trash media will probably adopt the cats-paw as a unit of snow depth measurement - the new SI unit. My 31 cm snowfall on 2nd February 2009 would have to be rewritten as 7.75 cats paws - now that is a lot of 'feet' depth. lol.

Sorry could not resist a bit of good natured sarcasm and I am a cat lover too!

Hope all dispirited coldies and snow lovers get their wishes soon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

funny how we all get excited about an inch or two of snow, a lot of people got nothing or a dusting, they would laugh their heads of in other countries at us, even algeria and Jerusalem do better for snow than us at times

just a pathetic dusting here by the way, no need for you guys in wales or the west to be jealous of me

Jerusalem rarely gets snow, and Algeria? Most of it is a blazing hot desert. Posted Image

Another moan - people saying there is no cold spell because it hasn't snowed in their back yard. There's 5cm of snow on the ground here and the Met Office have 3 ice days on the cards and only one day with a maximum above 0 degrees, with lows of -6 o -7C. The snow isn't anything special but it's pretty typical for a UK snowfall. Definitely a cold spell in my books.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

But it's a lot colder - 3 ice days in one week (which is what we're forecast to have) is not common anywhere in the UK, bar Cairn Gorm summit and Great Dun Fell (perhaps Braemar too). Posted Image

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting ??️?️??️

Driving back from Manchester on Sunday evening was typical, heavy snow settling as far as Warrington then sleet and finally heavy rain Temps went from -0.5 to 2.0, i just accept now that if i want to see cold and snow i need to move.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

popping in for a rant, where's my blimmin snow? coldest snap in 20 years they said, deep snow they said! so i wake to spring like temps and what looks as tho my garden was attacked with flour!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Hopefully be able to head upto Dartmoor for some fun this weekend if the forecast is good but be nice to see some snow falling out the window again, but I think I could live in Plymouth for another 50 years and not see that.

Driving back from Manchester on Sunday evening was typiical, heavy snow settling as far as Warrington then sleet and finally heavy rain Temps went from -0.5 to 2.0, i just accept now that if i want to see cold and snow i need to move.

know the feeling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

I a"int moaning about the cold weather as it is sunny....Better than the ruddy rain....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Not always true, TG. My heaviest snowfall so far this winter, came from N-W's Santa Shaker!

But that never effected Cornwall and Devon which is the southwest....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

It has not snowed (apart form a couple snow flakes) once yet this winter in Devon & Cornwall....You guys are lucky that live in the South East and North....You always see all the snow!!!

Our nearest hope is this Friday and already that is being downgraded for us, I'll still have a little hope though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

It has not snowed (apart form a couple snow flakes) once yet this winter in Devon & Cornwall....You guys are lucky that live in the South East and North....You always see all the snow!!!

Our nearest hope is this Friday and already that is being downgraded for us, I'll still have a little hope though

tis sad. Drove upto Dartmoor in the middle of the night just to see some fall, although that was possibly a little extreme

post-17991-0-30180100-1358267848_thumb.j

post-17991-0-26491700-1358267881_thumb.j

Posted

It's not that long since I had winters with no snow at all. Ice was the problem here this morning when cars were slipping about after rain fell on a frozen road, and we had several accidents in my locality. I personally would like snow mid-week so I get snowed in like I did for a day or so last year. The pub was open so I walked there and had a pint! The only drag is my employers make me take the day off as annual leave even if I can't possibly get there!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

This gaves 8inches of snow in the midlands?

check out the 850's:

Posted Image

Thats tropical compared to Friday and Sundays 850's!!

I was 15 at the time living in merseyside our school was shut for a week. Best snow event I have ever seen.
  • Like 1

Posted

This gaves 8inches of snow in the midlands?

check out the 850's:

Posted Image

Thats tropical compared to Friday and Sundays 850's!!

To be fair colder air did move in during the event giving it a boost:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1996/Rrea00219960207.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Really warm summers, really cold winters

OMG this is a repeat of Feb 2012 all over again, stupid altantic refusing to give up it's grip over rep of Ireland and whilst UK gets a pasting we miss the party yet again! So frustrating! :(

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heatwave, Thunderstorms

Feb 2012 was only good in the southeast for a short time. It was dry apart from a spell of disappointing snow from the NW, and exceptionally cold. Minus 15 here one night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

can anyone please tell me, based on the current models, what the percentage chance of disruptive snow on fri/sat ? for north midlands. Need to drive from Chesterfield to Manchester over the peak district friday evening. thanks.

Posted

Peter Cockcroft said at 6.50 this evening that there would be Snow followed by rain on Friday bringing less cold temps.

I don't think anyone really knows what will happen, reminds me of 80s Winters when this was always happening.

all depends on where you live i suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Certainly in January 1987 and February 1991 I remember daytime maxima of -5 in central London and icicles the size of kitchen knives hanging off the black cabs. The Continent was ,however, considerably colder and we had straight Easterlies for the majority of those two cold events.

Thank you. Most of the snow events I remember from the 80s had below freezing maxima day and night for a few days at least. All this marginal crap can go do one lol :)
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Quite possibly, though my long term memory is pretty good, thanks all the same.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Peter Cockcroft said at 6.50 this evening that there would be Snow followed by rain on Friday bringing less cold temps.

I don't think anyone really knows what will happen, reminds me of 80s Winters when this was always happening.

It will be like an 80s winter if we actually get the snow and not just the forecast for it with it turning out like Mondays sleety mess for half the country lol fingers crossed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Nope: more meridional frontal approach was touted yesterday and supported by EC. Broad development Thurs-Fri with good ARPEGE support. UKMO-GM sat at more extreme backed solution. Hence FAX strikes decent median route.

Ian do the Met see the milder air only making inroads in the SW/Wales or much further north and east?

• Like 1