Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Has anyone notice despite the recent wetness, the lack of gales? Strong gales have been a rare feature the last 5 to 6 winters.

Speak for yourselfPosted Image Last winter was about the windiest I can remember for up here, with 'Hurricane Bawbag' closing the schools and the 'Great Storm' at the start of January seeing gusts of over 100mph on the Tay Road Bridge. Fairly gusty here too on the 29th-31st with squalls and at times gale force winds.

The track of the storms seems to have been further north though and on a more WNW-ESE trajectory though, which probably explains the lack of wind further south, but really you would be welcome to take them off our hands in the New Year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Has anyone notice despite the recent wetness, the lack of gales? Strong gales have been a rare feature the last 5 to 6 winters.

Good, dont want gales, but do remember 05th Jan last year being horrendously windy,

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Yes. I have. Seems strange to hear a bit of noise outside when there's a puff of wind. Seems to have been like that for months.

Don't mind it though. Calm weather has made all the rain a touch more tolerable.

But what about lack of sunshine. Are there any stats for this year and previous, specaially for western hills?.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

@gimmiemoresnow...speak for yourself...I love storms just not when they hurt anyone

@lomondsnowstorm...ok now you're making me jealous...you have the most diverse weather up there, I love it!

@weatgerhistory...yes I have noticed...when I was in little I used to always hear the wind howling...maybe it's because we didn't have double glazing....not sure?! I can't remember the 1987 storm but I think the 1991 or 92 (can't remember which year it was) i can remember that well, tiles and branches flying everywhere! We had to stay in classroom and weren't aloud out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yes. I have. Seems strange to hear a bit of noise outside when there's a puff of wind. Seems to have been like that for months.

Don't mind it though. Calm weather has made all the rain a touch more tolerable.

But what about lack of sunshine. Are there any stats for this year and previous, specaially for western hills?.

I tend to agree, when you look back at the winters from 2000 up until around 2007, Gales were almost ever present at some stages of winter, only a few times so far have we seen strong winds and that was around Mid November, when a few Atlantic Systems had strong winds entow!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Crap Winter continues and looks like doing so for the next two weeks if the GFS is proven half right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

im glad im flying back to Calgary tomorrow..it has done nothing but rain and be dull for the 2 weeks i have been home..i forgotten how crappy and depressing the UK winter can be!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Just 8 gale days here this year ( Met' office definition ) compared to a 30 year average of 17.5. That's the second lowest annual total on record with 2010 holding the record of 6. The last year with above average gale frequency was 2008 with 24.

The sunshine total here this year was 1125.1 hrs, 82% of the 30 year average, 1 hour more than in 2008 and 5 hours more than 2004 which was the dullest year on my record.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The sort of weather that we've been taught to love at this time of year- dry, cloudy (lenticular cloud in the lee of the Pennines) and 11.4C. I wouldn't mind a mild settled spell if it included a fair amount of sunshine, particularly given the flooding situation, but it looks likely to be predominantly cloudy for the foreseeable as the near-continent is also pretty cloudy- time to concentrate on things other than weather observing maybe!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

I hope so as I'm not the biggest fan of the dull quiet weather we have going on right now!

Come on snow or throw us some good severe gales in the south!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The sort of weather that we've been taught to love at this time of year- dry, cloudy (lenticular cloud in the lee of the Pennines) and 11.4C. I wouldn't mind a mild settled spell if it included a fair amount of sunshine, particularly given the flooding situation, but it looks likely to be predominantly cloudy for the foreseeable as the near-continent is also pretty cloudy- time to concentrate on things other than weather observing maybe!

There is the possibility though that whatever weather type you have to endure in the next 10 days that you may, after that be rewarded with another weather type that i know you love but does involve sunshine, it does of course involve something else as well!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

I hope so as I'm not the biggest fan of the dull quiet weather we have going on right now!

Come on snow or throw us some good severe gales in the south!!

i agree this cloudy dull mild weather so boring would b ok if a bit of sun was thrown in dunno how people can enjoy this set up its depressin i want cold n snow to hurry up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Good we got shut of rain but today here been very dull amd misty, The standing water on fields slowly retreating but being replaced by mud, Got lot of work to carry out on river banks after being devastated by flood water, Also have to rebuild Otter Holt that been trashed by mud from river, Would really like some frost in ground make life less troublesome while work carried out, Also nice cold icy days be good for the grayling fishing,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Please please don't let the Daily Express get wind of a possible SSW event, they'll go ballistic!...and game over.

• Like 1

Posted

Watching that 18z GFS come out and having piano rave and house tunes from 87 - 91 on my headphones while watching it come out gave me such a buzz, that ECM on the 5th Dec, a 12z ECM from end Jan 2012 that brought the -18c uppers into the SE were other great moments since being on the forum, a few runs in late 2010 were also great but nothing like it will be if one comes off, just hope it does not all mess up again!!!

Please please don't let the Daily Express get wind of a possible SSW event, they'll go ballistic!...and game over.

Look at it the positive way though, they have to be right one of these times!!!

Posted

All hell breaking out on the strat thread now as well!!!!!!!!!!

*** CARNAGE !!!!!!!!

Posted

FLOODGATES ABOUT TO BE SMASHED ON GFS 0z, -10s powering in with -15s not a million miles away.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

COULD MY 22 YEAR WAIT OF CHASING THE DREAM FINALLY BE COMING TO AN END,

And a long way back to anything mild from there too, judging by this,

Posted Image

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

FLOODGATES ABOUT TO BE SMASHED ON GFS 0z, -10s powering in with -15s not a million miles away.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

COULD MY 22 YEAR WAIT OF CHASING THE DREAM FINALLY BE COMING TO AN END,

And a long way back to anything mild from there too, judging by this,

Posted Image

What do you mean Blizard?

Posted

What do you mean Blizard?

Sorry for this late reply, i was up in the middle of the night to watch the 0z GFS run come out, my post was an emotionally charged, possibly over the top one to a chart that was 360+ hrs away, what i mean was that an easterly was showing with -10 or less 850mb temps (these are usually between 1.2km and 1.5km (roughly) above sea level), these sort of temps usually mean very cold weather with daytime max temps at or below freezing widely and snow penetrating inland possibly and a chance of becoming widespread and heavy, this depends also on wind strenghth and exact direction, no one can predict these things until they get much nearer to the event, it was just a real buzz to see this chart from someone who witnessed feb 1991 and Jan 1987 events with similar setups although with significant differences.

The chart shows the stratospheric chart at 30mb (a long way up, around 70 or 80,000 feet (roughly), the longer the higher pressure and higher temps remain over Greenland and to the east, the less chance of mild weather occuring quickly afterwards, some more knowledgeable people would be able to explain better but the jist is that if we could get to that position (obviously massive doubt given the timeframe), it would be stonking cold and snow chances)