Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

I have got a bad feeling about Winter 2012~2013 in the south. I have had this for some time and if the rest of 2012 is anything to go by then I sincerely hope I am wrong about the continuing trend of missing out every event going like it has been this year.

The last few winters have all been interesting with decent snow and cold in 2008~09, 2009~10 and 2010~11 winter (although '11 was a let down). Even last winter 2011~12 had the goods in February and the mild and dry conditions were advantageous for cycling and work.

My pet hates concerning type of weather are damp, dull and dreary conditions, windy conditions, along with drizzle and mediocre amounts of rain. Cold and damp conditions are thoroughly unpleasant especially with wind. Another dislike is a term I simply call 'unfairness' where local areas miss out and other locations have all the excitement. Boring anticyclonic weather can be dealt with by ignoring the weather and focusing on other interests. However, a mild and dry winter could help assist with hobbies like cycling in comfortable conditions. If there are exciting conditions like snow, then cycling may suffer but it is worth it for the winter weather thrill & interest.

Bad winters in my opinion are perceived by the 3 following features and often a combination of all 3;

(1) Amount of 'UNFAIRNESS'.

(2) Amount of 'BOREDOM'

(3) Amount of 'DISCOMFORT'

The following are a list if the nastiest winters in my experience and the dominant features;

2005~06: Uncomfortable, Unfair (no snow, missed all the snow events - late Nov.05, late Dec.05, Feb.06 / frustrating Europe-wide snow except U.K. & frequent model downgrades for the cold in U.K.).

2001~02: Unfair (Mainly mild with limited snow in U.K.- poor snow distribution Christmas week where we miss everything - completely snowless winter).

1998~99: Unfair & Boring (Mainly mild and Atlantic type zonality - Brief cold with northerly toppler in January - no snow locally).

1992~93: Unfair, boring & unpleasant (hardly any snow, mild zonality in December & January with frequent snow up north. Horrendous February (1993) with extreme boredom from anticyclonic gloom, breezy, damp and cold but very low rainfall - my most uninteresting month ever following the disappointments in Dec & Jan)

1991~92: Boring. Almost snow free. Tedious at the time but can see the advantages of this winter nowadays. Very little snow anywhere in U.K. so no unfairness and hence little 'weather jealousy'. Conditions would have been good for outdoor activities with dry ground etc. Driest winter on record locally.

1988~89: Boring. Almost snow free & very dry. Similar to above but very mild - definitely good for outdoors had I been cycling in those days.

1983~84: Boring, VERY unfair and probably very uncomfortable given the frequent rain. (Virtually no snow locally, much snow from midlands Northwards and over prolonged period - very disappointing).

I would rate 1992~1993 as the worst winter in my perception as the frustration just seemed endless!

As can be seen, 2005~06 was the last horrid winter and being 7 years ago, I feel another is due. Let's hope I can be proved wrong.

Posted

here we go again, chasing snow and good synoptics at T180 + who knows we might be third time lucky, i think i need to recharge the batteries

no doubt when/if we do get snow falling i will probably be asleep during it due to exhaustion of chasing it in the models and typically miss it, or it will snow when im at work

For all we know this could just be one last final tease from the Models before the inevitable knock out blow.

Either I guess we'll see soon enough.

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted

I think people allow themselves to get sucked into believing what the models show a week or 2 ahead if its something that they want to see. I follow the models with great interest and look for trends but don't take anything as more certain until we are a couple of days out.

Several have moaned about being 'led up the garden path' but you are willingly holding out your hands and being taken along by the models. Look for trends by all means, just realise that things change and nothing is certain.

I think the problem of late has been that the models have indeed been showing solid trends and consistency, Then throwing it all away 4 days out. Thats not people fault.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

the problem here is that peeps take the charts for granted and too much faith get put on longrange forecasts i mean for all we know jan and feb could be mild. If i remembor some peeps discredited weather outlooks w2012-2013 forecast because they didnt go for a harsh winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

As can be seen, 2005~06 was the last horrid winter and being 7 years ago, I feel another is due. Let's hope I can be proved wrong

Last winter was pretty awful in these parts. Completely snowless and virtually frost free.

After a promising start, This December is shaping up to be a generally mild one, if the current models are to be believed.

Posted

i said weeks ago that it is a myth that the models underestimate northern blocking, this is the second time already this winter that the models have got rid of northern blocking closer to the time

GFS and UKMO are so bog standard it bores me to tears, but i can't give up this hobby cos i have been into the weather for a about 15 years

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

^ Incorrect.

Posted Image

Current northern blocking anomalies.

Posted Image

Anomaly for first 8 days.

It is a misconception that because the UK hasn't see notable/widespread snow- northern blocking has been evident.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i said weeks ago that it is a myth that the models underestimate northern blocking, this is the second time already this winter that the models have got rid of northern blocking closer to the time

GFS and UKMO are so bog standard it bores me to tears, but i can't give up this hobby cos i have been into the weather for a about 15 years

So are you blaming the models for the weather you get rather than the weather they predicted?

Posted

its not incorrect because the northern blocking all but disappears for later this week, when a few days ago they was showing strong blocking for later this week, how many times does FI show amazing blocking only for it to be watered down

i see people are still clutching at straws

Edited by Snowy Easterlies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Got to feel sorry for those Russian folk who will not be skiing on Thursday because of the cold http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Klyuchevskaya/6day/top

ah well guess it's just....karma! http://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/KARMA-What-Goes-Around-Comes-Around/171707979806

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

I think the problem of late has been that the models have indeed been showing solid trends and consistency, Then throwing it all away 4 days out. Thats not people fault.

Models can show trends and consistency and then change a few days out, its people's fault for taking it as gospel and then throwing a tantrum because it has changed. If people learnt that things constantly change then there would be less twisted knickers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Ahhhhh,Don't worry all (BIG) upgrade tomorrow.

Posted

Oddly enough I think my social circle and family must be a bit of an anomaly, because I think I actually know more people that like snow than don't like snow, or at least those that I know well enough to know whether like it or not.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Oddly enough I think my social circle and family must be a bit of an anomaly, because I think I actually know more people that like snow than don't like snow, or at least those that I know well enough to know whether like it or not.

I've had much the same experience, though I often wonder if it's because the sort of people that I like to associate with are statistically more likely than average to like snow- academics, scientists and weather enthusiasts are certainly examples of this. Many of the people that I hung out with in secondary school love to go on skiing holidays and are attracted to snow partly for that reason. My family are divided roughly 60-40 in favour of snow, but then again many of them have an above-average level of interest in the weather- not as strong as mine, but appreciation of weather certainly runs in my family.

Then again, when UK media sources survey opinions on snow they tend to focus on the likes of elderly people at bus stops and business people whose livelihoods depend on lack of disruption to road transport, so a cross-section like mine helps to add an element of counter-balance.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Many people I know like snow - I've asked people in my family on their weather opinions, and snow seems quite popular, especially over rain, and heat is not liked at all. My elderly relatives prefer mild climates, that are not hot or cold, while some like thunderstorms, and even like being outside in rain! One thing I've heard quite frequently is rain at night is nice and soothing.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I am so disspointed we wont be getting any snow, I live in the southwest of the uk so we're always the last to get any way if ever. But with all the forecasts and news reports about the 'Beast from the East' that was meant to be coming i was hopeful for snow!

I have little faith in forecasters and will not take too much notice of news reports in future.

I am so PO'd that we'll probably being heaving a green christmas, I knjow it's to do with where this country is situated right on the Atlantic but we really do get the onionstiest weather, no summers and crap bloody winters....At least in the Europe mainland it's warm in the summer with sun and cold and snowy in the winter, arghh!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

well at least joe public are happy that there won't be any snow, i have told people that its not gonna snow now and they all said "oh good" i bit my tongue though

Hmmm...let's see how happy Joe Public are once they're having to get the sandbags out again, to try to stop their homes being flooded out (again!)

Yep...bet they'll be absolutely overjoyed! Posted Image

Posted

Wooo Hooo! Milder weather on the way. My winter emotion is veeery happy at the moment. My heating bills will stop rocketing, I'll stop freezing my preverbials off waiting for trains and buses and, most important of all, it means the people in the care home I work in won't be put at risk. Some of the cold lovers in here should take a few minutes to think of those us who HAVE to get to work regardless of the weather because the people we are responsible for would not survive without constant care and attention. What would you think or feel if it was your elderly family member in a home where no staff could get in, there was always the risk of pipes freezing and/or heating breaking down. I know that cold lovers have as much control over the weather as us mild/hot lovers - absolutely zilch! Nevertheless I'm really pleased the weather is turning milder. Rant over!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i c now some peeps r now saying how crap the ec32day because its not showing what they want to c. I must say im quite disapointed after all the promises and how all the signals r favouring us and the peeps in sw certainly dnt need anymore rain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

@Fendermaestro...of course it is dangerous but I am young and enjoy the snow and think it's magical....I do not enjoy all the rain that comes with the mild weather you talk that brings wind and rain that drowns people and ruins livlihoods, also mjild weather in winter does not kill bugs which as I am SURE you understand is not very benificial to the elderly people you care....

Yes well I'm not too stupid and have a job that I can walk to even in bad weather so I don't have that to use as an excuse for a snow day!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Wooo Hooo! Milder weather on the way. My winter emotion is veeery happy at the moment. My heating bills will stop rocketing, I'll stop freezing my preverbials off waiting for trains and buses and, most important of all, it means the people in the care home I work in won't be put at risk. Some of the cold lovers in here should take a few minutes to think of those us who HAVE to get to work regardless of the weather because the people we are responsible for would not survive without constant care and attention. What would you think or feel if it was your elderly family member in a home where no staff could get in, there was always the risk of pipes freezing and/or heating breaking down. I know that cold lovers have as much control over the weather as us mild/hot lovers - absolutely zilch! Nevertheless I'm really pleased the weather is turning milder. Rant over!

Your position is understandable, but you are on the wrong forum, because you won't get much sympathy on here.. there are too many things that are enjoyable that are considered risky or dangerous, how dull would life be if we only did things or enjoyed things that pose absolutely no risk?

We need to be realistic here - only mild, tepid weather that is accompanied by constant sunshine, is not dangerous or a risk to human life. Mild weather associated with the usual rain causes misery for thousands due to flooding, which isn't good at all, is it?

Heatwaves claimed the lives of thousands of elderly people in 2003, and probably 2006 too, so they're no good either I'm afraid.. so you can scratch that off your list of things you can enjoy.

Come on, this is a weather forum for people who are generally nuts about exciting and unusual weather. Please don't lecture us about things we already know.

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

You are as entitled to your opinion as the next person, but might I suggest that when the floods return, perhaps you take a trip to the affected areas, witness the misery of those suffering first hand, and trumpet your joy to them about the fact that it is mild. You mention the elderly freezing in their homes.....just to refresh your memory a tad here....an elderly lady drowned in her own home in St Asaph not long ago due to the incessant rain that the mild weather you appear to be such a fan of brought.

I don't particularly care whether it snows or freezes...all I care about is some desperately needed dry weather (more than a couple of days!) so that the flood affected areas get a break....I am sick to the back teeth of rain...rain...floods...mud...grey miserable autumnal-style mild crap.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 2

Posted

Oooooh I do seem to have put a cat amongst a few pigeons. I have NO regrets. The Winter Rampers or Snow Lovers are just as selfish and self centered as us warmth and heat lovers. I know it's not what you want to hear in December but there you go. TwisterGirl makes a good point about cold weather killing off bugs but apart from that nothing will change my view. I should point out that just because the weather is mild, it will not necessarily follow that ther will be floods of biblical proportions as some of you seem to think. The Meto are going for 'the signal for rain and snowfall amounts and distribution shows a high degree of uncertainty. On balance, it seems most likely that many areas will receive average amounts of rain' in their 25th Dec - 8th Jan forecast.

At the end of the day, it's all a mute point because the weather will of course be what it will be and no amount of 'hopecasting' from me or anyone else will change what is going to happen.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

The 'milder' or should I say "the not so cold" weather is only going to skirt the far south and southern Ireland with average (7ºC) to a little above (10-11ºC) at best and this looks at the moment to be a fairly transient affair lasting a couple of days then joining the remainder of the country with average to slightly below (4-6ºC) with the lowest temperatures further north and east you go, the winds are also forecasted to strengthen so its going to feel raw wet and cold. I'll certainly not be putting my winter clothing away for awhile yet.!!

• Like 1