Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Posted

Seeing as this Autumn so far has felt more on the typical side than the last few with more Autumnal type weather to come over the next weeks could it that we're one for more of an average winter this year which has mild spells without leaving fans of colder/snowier weather too shortchanged?

Now I'll first to admit that is just a wild stab in the dark but just putting out there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I must say, I'm not getting good vibes for this winter. I think many of us cold and snow lovers could be left disappointed come March. This being said, I have been cautious since the outset this year whilst other members have been ramping away. I remember my forecast of increasingly mild and zonal November being met with hostility a good few weeks back......doesn't look like a bad call now eh?

Here's hoping we see some positive signs emerging as we head towards December!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Yup same here Crewe Cold , I've gone through the latest CFS V2 run for December, and if anything it looks like a it'll be milder than October and November :-(

Dare I say this, but could we actually have record Mild for December ??

I really hope not, and I doubt it will be THAT bad, I expect that the cold will never be that far away from the UK in December, so I suspect some of us will be lucky enough to tap into it from time to time throughout the month, but I can't see the UK being enveloped in cold weather at least until 2013 ...by which time the world will have ended anyway so no one will be around to really give a monkeys Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

I cant believe all this winters over nonsense its bound to b mild now n again its still autumn as far as i know

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I cant believe all this winters over nonsense its bound to b mild now n again its still autumn as far as i know

True, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

A lot to be happy about regarding the weather today, well here at least. Lovely blue skies, fantastic visibility and pleasant temperatures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Every year we get a selection of people who think they know mother nature, if you know her that well then please ask her to come round for a cup of tea and perhaps pleed for a cold winter, if i hear another 'winter is over' post based merely on a hunch or for attention I will scream.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

I know I shouldnt, but im getting very excited at the trends on the models backing a greenland block around 28nov-1 dec. It's reminding me of 2009 when we had mild, wet and windy through november then BAM! middle of december cold spell with snow. I know i'm getting a bit carried away but hey ho

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

To be honest im "retrogressing"to a negative take on the upcoming winter?????thank god for gp,sm,chino etePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! The negativity based on individual runs is doing my nut!! Ohh it's going to do this now cos 12z or 6z said so!!! Come on people think about it realistically at the moment fi starts at about +72/96!! This is a big pattern change and it will take a while longer yet to get details and specifics!! Ohh and talking about a breakdown before the cold and change is here!! Lord have mercy on some of you!!!! Rant over !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Well I think it looks like we can write off 1/3 of WINTER going by the latest developments, god knows what January and Feb will hold.

Sods law really, and just because of a few slight alterations we find ourselves looking BEYOND FI for anything that might signal a turn to cold and snow.

Once again it's the same old places that get the snow...I'm going to Scotland with a million trucks and I'm gunne steal their snow and dump it into a million planes which I shall then distribute across the UK.

Posted

Well I think it looks like we can write off 1/3 of WINTER going by the latest developments, god knows what January and Feb will hold.

Sods law really, and just because of a few slight alterations we find ourselves looking BEYOND FI for anything that might signal a turn to cold and snow.

Once again it's the same old places that get the snow...I'm going to Scotland with a million trucks and I'm gunne steal their snow and dump it into a million planes which I shall then distribute across the UK.

As the other GP said on the model thread 2-3c below December mean to mid month... What else can we ask for - that is significant!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

the problem is that people take the models and longrange forecast as gusble for e.g this cold snap was set in stone last week as a long sbell, and when certain people tried to bring some realaty into the discussions they were shot down with flames.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

In Scotland, the only meaningful falls will be over higher ground. They have exactly the same climate as the rest of the UK, and large parts of Scotland had far less snow than England last winter.

Posted

Am staying positive as were in a much better place than last year it could of been worse

Posted

People should remember that the first 10 days of December traditionally are very mild when westerlies reach their yearly maxim, but once again we are entering a December where the westerly and southwesterly is not going to steal the show - instead there is much potential for quite a wintry start to the month with proper polar air invading the country, yes its not going to be a 2010 start, but compared to perhaps what we would normally expect to see it does look like being preety wintry - it seems if we don't get a Dec 2010, then nothing else will do...

Dec 2011 - first half whilst it did see the atlantic stealing the show, we saw a NW-SE diving jet which enabled polar maritime air to invade the country from time to time bringing decent frosts and snow to high ground and lower ground in the north at times with average temps.

Dec 2010 - freezing and blocked, highly unusual synoptics.

Dec 2009 - saw a mild wet westerly to start but was then replaced by a build of pressure before mid month and a very cold snowy second half.

Dec 2008 - the first third saw a northerly/northwesterly episode with snow in the north - indeed it was the coldest start to Dec since 1978, however, mid month saw a much milder southwesterly phase which broke down around christmas being replaced by a cold frosty end.. quite an unusual pattern.

However, between Dec 97 and Dec 07 the first part of each Dec in the main saw little cold weather with a few exceptions , the arctic plunge around the 6th in 1998, and the dry cold frosty weather in 01 and 02 and to a lesser extent in 2005, but 'cold' rather than 'very cold'.

Posted

When people keep saying it's only October then it's only November! Now it will be it's only December winter will come. Their eternal optimism and denial of the facts is astounding. As far as I am concerned we should expect at least 1 frost day in October,7 in November and one or two snow showers in November. We have had the second mildest November on record. Early December does not look good. So will they be saying it's only January give it time? Posted Image

Just got to face facts it's been pants so far!

spot on, you were right, although that potent spell in early feb was decent for me, but it only lasted about 5 days the rest of the winter was total crap

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn and Winter

Morning,

I can't for the life of me understand why so many people are getting upset over the weather outlook Posted Image

We are a small island on the side of the Atlantic and we get really what we get.

The forthcoming series of winter months may or may not produce the freezing sub-zero temps that most people seem to crave.

A word to the wise, be careful what you wish for, my thought's are we are going to get more than we thought we would. The usual forum experts are thinking the same....but it takes time.

If we tapped into the cold pool like UKMO were suggesting last week, our snowy spell would of been a "flash in the pan", let the cold pool get bigger, and the dam will break Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Morning,

I can't for the life of me understand why so many people are getting upset over the weather outlook Posted Image

We are a small island on the side of the Atlantic and we get really what we get.

The forthcoming series of winter months may or may not produce the freezing sub-zero temps that most people seem to crave.

A word to the wise, be careful what you wish for, my thought's are we are going to get more than we thought we would. The usual forum experts are thinking the same....but it takes time.

If we tapped into the cold pool like UKMO were suggesting last week, our snowy spell would of been a "flash in the pan", let the cold pool get bigger, and the dam will break Posted Image

i would like a slow burner type winter where the cold builds n builds and gets colder than a quick cold snap

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fresh n Funky

There is no reason for negativity at the moment. Check out the latest ensembles, below average all the way with some nice cold options in the mix. Technically winter's coldest conditions tend to occur after the solstice due to seasonal lag. Building cold at the end of november and start of december is a very positive sign. I suspect most of the most negative posters here are too young to remember the mild mucky horrors of the even larger teapot. If they truly remembered winters which were a mere extension of autumn then they'd be a lot more positive.

Posted

Probably best to keep things in perspective here and try to remember where we were 12 months ago, rather than 24 months ago. OK things don't curently look perfect, but they do look a whole lot better than they could, so as ever it's all relative.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

I have to say I was becoming pessimistic about the prospects for cold but since yesterday I've become rather excited!

Posted

Once again this morning we see some very juicy cold synoptics showing, but the problem is they remain outside the reliable and look like yet another case of 'jam tomorrow'. Let's hope what is being shown longer term starts to appear pre +T180hrs sooner rather than later. Carrot and stick come to mind right now.