Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Posted

The second half of February is definitely colder on average than the second half of November. The only factor which works in November's favour is shorter daylight hours and weaker sunshine, but that counts for nothing if you don't get the right synoptics (which you hardly ever do in November).

Posted

Some people really do hate nature it seems, why else would they want 20C and sunny all winter, god knows what the world would be like without any seasons, i suppose like bottesford you want 24 hour daylight 365 days of the year, doesnt matter that would completely screw nature up does it, only ME matters.

Blimey Eugene!

It's not going to happen so why get so upset about it, we'll get a decent winter one of these days.

I'm glad that spring has sprung now anyway, it's been so dire for cold this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

The second half of February is definitely colder on average than the second half of November. The only factor which works in November's favour is shorter daylight hours and weaker sunshine, but that counts for nothing if you don't get the right synoptics (which you hardly ever do in November).

We all have opinions on season start dates, mine are winter 15th Nov-15 Feb, Spring 15th Feb-15 May, Summer 15th May to 15th Aug, Autumn 15th Aug to 15th Nov, Nov definitely more winter than Feb as weaker sun, short days, run up to Xmas etc,

still got your great profile pic, the class song and video (so give me coffee and tv, easily, take me away from this big bad world, and agree to marry me, start over again!)

Posted

We all have opinions on season start dates,

Fair enough. It still should be a lot more wintry at this time of year than it currently is though. Ditto for late August and summery weather in recent years.

"Coffee & TV" is class. The ending where he ascends to heaven to rejoin his departed love interest always warms the cockles of my heart.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Beggining to think I have really left trouser leged off the weather gods....after a totally abysmal snow-less winter, I start to look foreward to some warmth....Big fat high pressure sat over the country and its totally pee soup outside and has been for the last 2 days whilst the majority of the country is enjoying the sunshine, probabbly those who had all the snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

Beggining to think I have really left trouser leged off the weather gods....after a totally abysmal snow-less winter, I start to look foreward to some warmth....Big fat high pressure sat over the country and its totally pee soup outside and has been for the last 2 days whilst the majority of the country is enjoying the sunshine, probabbly those who had all the snow!

Yep, sadly it's a cloudy high so doesn't do anything for the Venus/Jupiter conjunction later over the next few evenings. We missed out on the aurora display last week as well.

The mild dry weather is nice, but I'm fed up with the gloom.

Still, I do hope next winter is a bit better than the one that has just passed.

Noticed we got a mention in the BBC winter summery i.e. NI had it's mildest Christmas day since records began !.

whilst the majority of the country is enjoying the sunshine

A very small minority more like, its very misty in most areas of the midlands, southeast and north today even our resident HP lover is under cloud cover.

Temps are below average Peter in wide areas of england and under all that mist, fog and cloud it feels anything but mild.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Today is the first totally overcast day for 8 days.

And Eugene I insist you stop trolling please, you are getting a tad irritating.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

you are wasting you typing finger I am afraid.

I also find it rather amusing how the seasons are 'different' for some folk.

Quite how they would expect any statistics to be derived by everyone having their own version of the dates for winter, summer etc is really quite funny.

Only by having fixed months can any averages have any meaning.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

No point looking back now. It was a crapp winter but nowt anyone can do about the weather it just happens. Will have to look forward to the first proper warm spell now. Ski season definately gone!

• 7 months later...
Posted

I would like to vent my frustration at people who write off winter because it hasn't shown on the charts by the middle of November.

And those moaners were right about last winter, so lets not have "its only november posts" again this year, of course im not saying it will be like last year and if we got raging zonailty it could be replaced by a scandi high 5 days down the line, but we all know how stubborn the PV and azores high can be and if that sets up shop it, well it don't bare thinking about Edited by Snowy Easterlies

Posted

Good grief, we haven't even really got going yet!!! :doh:

*Breaths deeply, thinks positively*

• Like 2

Posted

The worse type of winter weather for me, anticyclonic gloom and not a lot happening

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=pmZ438dwGJE

my worst type of winter weather is raging Atlantic and rain, a bit like 23rd Dec last year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Agree - easterlies with gloom and those sorts of temperatures 24 hours a day is the ultimate worst weather - there's just no 'weather' plus is cold but not cold enough...

Much prefer Atlantic stuff as at least stuff is happening, it costs less to heat against and (like last winter) its more prone to sunny periods.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

my worst type of winter weather is raging Atlantic and rain, a bit like 23rd Dec last year.

Agree - easterlies with gloom and those sorts of temperatures 24 hours a day is the ultimate worst weather - there's just no 'weather' plus is cold but not cold enough...

Much prefer Atlantic stuff as at least stuff is happening, it costs less to heat against and (like last winter) its more prone to sunny periods.

Last winter was nice. There was often a brisk westerly blowing which brought quite a bit of rain, but also some nice clean air and plentiful sunshine to the eastern half of the country. Winter can be often characterised by stagnant days where it remains dull and damp all day like today. But last year days like that were few and far between.

Posted

my worst type of winter weather is raging Atlantic and rain, a bit like 23rd Dec last year

My worst winter weather is any form of mild - I cannot explain in words how much I detest it!!
  • Like 2

Posted

yes, that was an awful month as far as I'm concerned.

Posted

Lol, you won't like this, look how mild those minima are for mid December

Wow, 15C minima in December? That's slightly outrageous. I detest them sort of conditions in winter, persistent thick cloud that keeps all the mild air in. Does anyone happen to know what the record mildest/warmest minima are for each month?

Posted

Worst type of weather for me is the garbage we had for the last 3 weeks of October. Grey skies day in day out with drizzle/light rain nearly every day and a lack of variability in temperature. Conditions as boring as they are unpleasant. Thankfully I managed to escape it for a week and got plenty warm sunshine in the Canaries last week.

I'd rather have mild south westerlies than cold, grey rubbish with rain/drizzle and little or no frost and that applies in winter too. A winter similar to the last 3 weeks would be my worst nightmare and it happened in 1971/72 and also 1979/80.

1971/72 really was the bottom of the barrel - virtually snowless with a very mild anticyclonic gloom dominated December, which had no frost at all in parts of NE Scotland, followed by a cold, dull and wet January and February which saw rain and maxes of 5-6C nearly every day.

These were the stats for Dyce:

Dec '71 – Mean Max: 9.0C, Mean Min: 3.3C, Sunshine: 35hrs, Sunless Days: 11, Rainfall: 19mm, Rain Days: 12, Snow/sleet falling: 1, snow lying: 0

Jan '72 - Mean Max: 5.2C, Mean Min: 1.8C, Sunshine: 35hrs, Sunless Days: 18, Rainfall: 135mm, Rain Days: 26, Snow/sleet falling: 5, snow lying: 2

Feb '72 - Mean Max: 6.0C, Mean Min: 1.4C, Sunshine: 41hrs, Sunless days:17, Rainfall: 101mm, Rain Days: 17, Snow/sleet falling: 2, snow lying: 2

What a load of tripe and not surprisingly south easterlies featured more prominently than usual during that vile winter.

Posted

Worst type of weather for me is the garbage we had for the last 3 weeks of October. Grey skies day in day out with drizzle/light rain nearly every day and a lack of variability in temperature. Conditions as boring as they are unpleasant. Thankfully I managed to escape it for a week and got plenty warm sunshine in the Canaries last week.

I'd rather have mild south westerlies than cold, grey rubbish with rain/drizzle and little or no frost and that applies in winter too. A winter similar to the last 3 weeks would be my worst nightmare and it happened in 1971/72 and also 1979/80.

1971/72 really was the bottom of the barrel - virtually snowless with a very mild anticyclonic gloom dominated December, which had no frost at all in parts of NE Scotland, followed by a cold, dull and wet January and February which saw rain and maxes of 5-6C nearly every day.

These were the stats for Dyce:

Dec '71 – Mean Max: 9.0C, Mean Min: 3.3C, Sunshine: 35hrs, Sunless Days: 11, Rainfall: 19mm, Rain Days: 12, Snow/sleet falling: 1, snow lying: 0

Jan '72 - Mean Max: 5.2C, Mean Min: 1.8C, Sunshine: 35hrs, Sunless Days: 18, Rainfall: 135mm, Rain Days: 26, Snow/sleet falling: 5, snow lying: 2

Feb '72 - Mean Max: 6.0C, Mean Min: 1.4C, Sunshine: 41hrs, Sunless days:17, Rainfall: 101mm, Rain Days: 17, Snow/sleet falling: 2, snow lying: 2

What a load of tripe and not surprisingly south easterlies featured more prominently than usual during that vile winter.

The Jan and Feb sound horrid, the Dec not too bad at least dry, SE winds i would have thought very snowy for aberdeen, coming off north sea