Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Yes aaron i completely agree cold and snow is much more likely than summer like temps, 20C isnt common at all in March until the end into April when the chances increase.

Latest runs do not bring an end to winter at all, alot of egg on the face of some members i feel calling it way too soon and even it did turn milder it could go cold again just like that, winter is never done with the UK until late May onwards, spring is much colder than autumn on average.

Edited by Eugene

Posted

had about 6 inches Saturday night, thawed slightly but now Frozen solid and rock hard, looks like we could be getting a similar amount tomorrow evening and Friday. Im in South Northamptonshire by the way.

Posted

Tonight's event missing me by less than 50 miles, giving snow to areas that have already had it, and probably to where I was only yesterday. Then a boring quite cloudy mild northerly round the top of a big fat Atlantic high, a pretty boring set up.. Yay. That's my moan for this evening.

At least we have had some cold temps at times and a couple very cold nights.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I'd like to moan about the lack of sunshine so far this month. We've probably only seen an hour or so and thats it. After getting 150% of the average sunshine in both December and January this is getting quite tiring now. Hopefully the change in wind direction will do the trick.

Posted

Yes aaron i completely agree cold and snow is much more likely than summer like temps, 20C isnt common at all in March until the end into April when the chances increase.

Latest runs do not bring an end to winter at all, alot of egg on the face of some members i feel calling it way too soon and even it did turn milder it could go cold again just like that, winter is never done with the UK until late May onwards, spring is much colder than autumn on average.

Personally I like the snow in March / April. Can get decent amounts but it goes quickly. Don't get me wrong, I would love endless days of snow but normally (as last weekend) you get snow (15cm) it freezes and in a couple of days becomes an ice rink. No more snow just endless skating to the station.

Posted

I'd like to moan about the lack of sunshine so far this month. We've probably only seen an hour or so and thats it. After getting 150% of the average sunshine in both December and January this is getting quite tiring now. Hopefully the change in wind direction will do the trick.

Suprised to hear that! We're about where we should be at the moment on around 31 hours. The February average is 71 hours here so we're doing alright after 9 days.

Tomorrow and Saturday should add quite a few hours to that total, though this toppler coming up needs to ridge far enough North or it'll be more anticyclonic gloom even without easterlies!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

So much more snow tonight bloody moan, is this what the thread is about ?

7 days lying snow by saturday

moan moan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Suprised to hear that! We're about where we should be at the moment on around 31 hours. The February average is 71 hours here so we're doing alright after 9 days.

Tomorrow and Saturday should add quite a few hours to that total, though this toppler coming up needs to ridge far enough North or it'll be more anticyclonic gloom even without easterlies!

Oh yes, slight exaggeration. I dont keep records as you can probably tell. It seems much longer ago that we got that dry easterly bringing plentiful sunshine, but it turns out that the first 3 days of the month were very sunny. From last Saturday afternoon onwards sunshine has been very limited.

Posted

Oh yes, slight exaggeration. I dont keep records as you can probably tell. It seems much longer ago that we got that dry easterly bringing plentiful sunshine, but it turns out that the first 3 days of the month were very sunny. From last Saturday afternoon onwards sunshine has been very limited.

Yes, its been completely dull since just before the snow first fell really so I can definitely see where you're coming from. The only real positive is that it has stopped the snow from melting.

Posted

So much more snow tonight bloody moan, is this what the thread is about ?

7 days lying snow by saturday

moan moan

Some of us have plenty to moan about.

0 days of snow and counting. No luck whatsoever so far during this cold spell.

Posted

Some say that many contributors would do well to live in a different part of the world, and that they create Christmas cakes made out of snow- all we know is they're called the Sti- but I think many would be best served by having two separate homes- one in Scandinavia from Oct-Feb and another in southern Spain from Mar-Sep!

The thing is snow at home is always better I feel. I appreciate it more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

The thing is snow at home is always better I feel. I appreciate it more.

I agree. Also, if we went somewhere where we were pretty much guarunteed snow each winter, there wouldn't be any need to chase it. We chase the cold and snowy weather subconsciously, knowing we get very different amounts each year, and ironically moan when we don't get it!

Edited by Tellow
  • Like 1

Posted

I agree. Also, if we went somewhere where we were pretty much guarunteed snow each winter, there wouldn't be any need to chase it. We chase the cold and snowy weather subconsciously, knowing we get very different amounts each year, and ironically moan when we don't get it!

Definitely true from my perspective. If I was guaranteed synoptics like mid- December 2010 every winter there probably wouldn't be as much excitement in seeing snow fall for me.

Posted

Definitely true from my perspective. If I was guaranteed synoptics like mid- December 2010 every winter there probably wouldn't be as much excitement in seeing snow fall for me.

Funny you say that because although I still get excited at snow events and cold synoptics being shown on the model output, I don't get the same buzz as I used to. This is largely due to the snow events in 2009/10/11/12.

One complaint I do still have is something I post every year and that is another winter has passed by without a classic 1980s E,ly. I define a classic E,ly as upper temps around -15C, a strong E,ly flow bringing huge convective snowfalls, which lasts at least 5 days. The same old pattern has happened yet again this winter on the models. I recall an ECM run which predicted -18C upper temps and a strong E,ly flow. What tends to happen is as the E,ly comes closer the models downgrade the upper temps, strength of the E,ly flow, and the duration. So instead we're left with a slack E,ly flow, upper temps of -10C, light snow flurries.

Out of all the cold spells since 2009 my favourite day remains Dec 18th 2009 when we had heavy snow showers coming in from the NE with max temps of -4C.

Posted

Surely it has a lot to do with geography, also. I remember the classics of the late 70's / 80's because I was living (as it happens in exactly the same street as Zakos lives) in Wellingborough (not far from TEITS) and I remember those cold cold easterlies bringing tons of snow.

Now I'm down in Bristol (have been for 15 years) and we look for rather different synoptics to bring us our best events.

It's a tiny island we inhabit.. yet, the differences within it can be massive.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Continuing in the same vein as TEITS, what I typically see in recent winters is one snowfall event leaving us with snowcover for a few days and thats it. Take Dec 2010 or should I say Nov 31st, people keep quoting Dec for some reason, it was one major overnight snowfall which gave epic snowcover followed by 3 weeks of cold. I'd love to see the return of winters were it was 3-5 snow events in quick succession or spread out through the season - rather than just one event and thats all folks.

Edited by djrikki
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Whether I would prefer "continental" winters is an interesting question- it would take a lot of snow for me to get sick of it, but I do tire of solid ice quite quickly, sometimes finding myself hoping for a temporary thaw just to get rid of the ice. Going by experiences from the past two winters, for me the novelty value/excitement tapers off during the course of a cold snowy spell, but is swiftly replenished afterwards, so on that basis continental winters would be preferable, but there is also the fact that I am a particularly big fan of those "sunshine and snow showers" setups with towering cumulus and cumulonimbus clouds, and generally find frontal snowfalls rather less exciting. In many parts of continental Europe snowfalls are almost exclusively frontal because of their distance from the nearest sea, and the lack of homegrown convection due to the weak sun.

So the honest answer is that I won't know if I prefer continental winters unless I spend some time there at the right time of year! There is no doubt, though, that I much prefer "central-European" type summers (e.g. central, eastern and south-western France, southern Germany, Switzerland, Austria) to our own.

My comments about some people needing to live in different countries arise from exasperation at the way the model output discussion works, wherre most of the regular contributors are only interested in a certain type of weather which switches abruptly with the change of season- cold and snow during October to February, warmth during March and April and then high pressure from May to September- despite the fact that various posts from elsewhere in the forum show that many members are indeed interested in other types of weather. It's like we get a "clique" in there with people afraid to show interest in things other than what the clique want.

Posted

I remember posting back in December that the current cold conditions could easily be the coldest of the Winter. Of course I was rubbished at the time. How far out was I ??

Quite far out infact, the coldest weather has come this February and I believe for some parts of the country, this morning has been the coldest of the winter but the reason why your views were put down is because you write off winter after one month and whilst snowfall amounts for some have been really poor, others have seen quite a bit of snow and hard frosts so basically, your prediction was wrong although for Northern Ireland in particular, it would appear that December has been colder than this month has been.

My main gripe about this winter have been the lack of convective days around here, only 1 morning of snow showers from a convective source and this week could of delivered but not anymore it would seem. Winter on a whole has been okay as we seen the other aspects of it, especially the severe gales events in December but snowfall wise, its been terrible. Nevermind, I still prefer my location compare to others regarding snowfall.

Posted

- despite the fact that various posts from elsewhere in the forum show that many members are indeed interested in other types of weather. It's like we get a "clique" in there with people afraid to show interest in things other than what the clique want.

Is that not surely to do with the way it's moderated ?

Apart from a few senior guys who add a huge amount, the rest is made up of non sensical cold ramping. It's basically snow watch with the 'I love snow brigade' left say what they like

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

For me its just felt like one of those drab winters so far. weve had some snow (thawed on same day though but thats still more than others). That isnt what i havent liked though. I havent looked at the official stats but to me its just seemed like generally a 'grey' winter. We have had some clear sunny weather here and there...but im sure its mostly been dull. Not looking forward to this week with pretty much endless grey skies for most of the week.

I havent forgotten about the zonal weather we had in dec and a bit of stormy weather as well but still....

Really hoping for a better spring and summer. Warm sunny weather mixed with a few thunderstorms here and there. Think we need more general rain as well though to help with the drought problems some areas may get if it doesnt pick up :/ And some areas are still very dry now...

Posted

The current very cold weather has been caused by very dry polar continental air and a stagnant pool of very cold air at the surface that has had a very long time to embed itself in the ground. With virtually no wind the air has grown colder over time and the snow cover has helped to bring the very cold nightime mins.

Its been a very different type of cold to that which occured during late Nov 2010 and Dec 2010, and also late Dec 09 and early Jan 10. On those occasions we saw arctic continental air - which was much more unstable producing all the snow and much colder uppers but also generally very sunny conditions with sparkling air.

If you asked me which of the two types of spells I have enjoyed better, by far I would say the arctic continental type. Those in the north I suspect would agree, but not sure about those in the SE. Those in the east probably would say a bit of both.

We were on the verge of something special in the last 2 weeks - if only we had seen the high ridge further westwards enabling a tighter pressure squeeze - convection would have kicked into gear and no doubt we would have seen some undercutting. Alas it wasn't to be, but for those in the east and southeast it has been a notably very cold spell - severe at times and has produced 2 good snow events. For those in N ireland and Scotland it has been a non-event , December was more wintry. Here in N England its been quite a decent cold spell especially in Yorkshire, but not on a par with the conditions of late dec 09 early jan 10 or indeed late nov and dec 10.

As we enter the second half of feb my thoughts always turn to the prospect of arctic maritime air, which does tend to show its hand in the very late stages of winter and into March - a potent northerly in late feb/early march can be every bit as severe as a long drawn easterly in late jan/early feb. The temp contrast between the frigid arctic and the warm north atlantic seas can produce convection every bit as good as long drawn easterly and northerlies can produce the polar low - that rare phenonmenon which can produce phenonimal amounts of snow and exceptionally severe wintry conditions.

• Like 2

Some really silly posts going around saying the coldest first week in feb since 1996 was only cloudy with highs of 3C, what utter nonsense some of the coldest temps for february in years and years were recorded in the two week spell that just finished last night, with -9C in towns in mid february which isnt even recorded with longer nights of late december, it was an incredible cold spell with temps below 0C yesterday in clear blue skies and strong sunshine which makes it even more special, boring week to come with no hope of any cold weather, northerlies suck compared to dry polar continental air, even arctic northerlies unless special just produce temps near average for southern UK with some light frosts, zzzzzzz.