Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Posted

This winter is just turning out to be an extension of a normal 'autumn'. When they are having lying snow in north africa and we get nothing here, there is something seriously wrong going on. The jet stream and the azores high are being real trouble makers this winter. They are spoiling it for everyone. No doubt they will disappear for the summer and then reappear in time for next winter. The weather in this country is so unreliable and usually depressing.

Not to mention that insanely strong polar Vortex. It's been a winter killer this year that is for sure especially earlier on. Edited by Anonymous21

Posted

funny how we are all intrested in the weather but moan about how boring and crap it usually is

i myself get frustrated with the mediocore weather but i just can't ever give up this hobby.

Edited by Snowy Easterly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

I just don't know where I get the weather fixation from. No one else in my family is remotely interested in it. It's also a real pain that I am obsessed with cold and snow and unlucky enough to live in a country which has neither to speak of as such. Then again I could be even unluckier and live in Africa or the Middle East.lol

Posted

Words can't describe how frustrating this winter is, the last hope from this pathetic cold spell looks like being an all rain event here for certain now, there's no way it will upgrade and the worst thing is that tedious azores high which can never be present when its actually wanted in the summer is partly to blame yet again.

Edited by conor123
  • Like 1

Posted

It's got to the point were I couldn't care less now regarding any cold spell/snap, This week has been a massive letdown, which adds insult to injury for the appalling period prior to this non event. I don't care what the teleconnections are showing, until that Azores high buggers off we will be reduced to cold snaps. Roll on Spring. http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.png

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

It's got to the point were I couldn't care less now regarding any cold spell/snap, This week has been a massive letdown, which adds insult to injury for the appalling period prior to this non event. I don't care what the teleconnections are showing, until that Azores high buggers off we will be reduced to cold snaps. Roll on Spring. http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.png

We try to stay positive on the Tartan Thread. However I don't think even the most optimistic person could be bothered pretending this has been a decent winter. 2 days of frost in November no snow. December maybe 10 frost days but only 3 snow days I can remember. January one day of wet snow gone in a day 7 frost days. There is nothing we can do about it unfortunately that's just not in our gift. :fool:
  • Like 1

Posted

GFS FI is a high pressure fest that we can only dream of getting in summer. even though its in FI you can bet it will happen just down to the typical nature of this climate.

Posted

We try to stay positive on the Tartan Thread. However I don't think even the most optimistic person could be bothered pretending this has been a decent winter. 2 days of frost in November no snow. December maybe 10 frost days but only 3 snow days I can remember. January one day of wet snow gone in a day 7 frost days. There is nothing we can do about it unfortunately that's just not in our gift. :fool:

I would say that it's been more than a decent winter for my location, the problem is that it's only the NW that has had a decent winter whereas everywhere else it has been rubbish. But patience is still needed and it's best to enjoy whatever the weather is. And isn't the end of the world if winter is poor, there are many other good things in life other than snow and cold so there's really little need to be depressed if it has been a poor winter for your location.

Posted

It makes me laugh when I read posts like it's gonna remain blocked and frosty! We've had about 7 if not 8 weeks of mild gunk and we must now celebrate frost! Of course the Winter has been so dire its pbly not unreasonable

The facts are as follows:

1) Ireland get about 3 cold nights with widespread frost

2) There is little if any hope of snowfall under this current cold snap

3) The atlantic wins easily over Ireland. ( yes i know kent remains bitter, who cares!!)

4) it will be heading for mid Feb before we have a chance of a re-load

5) The deep cold dissapaites over Europe before that re-load can happen

Now guys come on, can some one please tell me what Winter over the last 20 years has been milder than this one. Daffodils have been out since mid Jan....much of the country is snow free....the whole month of January has almost been completely without a frost nationwide.

Yes berlin is -20 and Moscow -25, but in all honesty who gives a ****!!

• Like 2

Posted

I think the emotion that seems to be felt on this forum is rather different to the emotion felt by many people when it rains, or is cold, etc. The interest we have is for exciting weather because many of us are weather geeks, but for most people sunny would be the best option.

.Attatchment is attatchment to anything ,weather is no different,.I'm a weather geek and I understand the buzz of waiting for the future weather prospects [snow ,ice,extreme weather for me]. My point mainly was a philsophical one on none attactment [ a concept,originally formulated into a 'sort of religeon Taoism] in the context of the weather.It could have just have easily been about chocolate ,scientific ideas or unicorns.

I try to be none attatched generally as it leads to dissappointment and highs and Id rather have neither and be content .Ultimately it seems the wise choice.Weather is one thing in my life that I have beeen utterly attatched to[like GUTTED if a winter had no lying snow].I feel the highs are not worth the lows in everything,plus you still enjoy stuff .You can be none atatched to snow and then when it happens be happy in that time or moment then if it doesnt happen it TOTALLYdoes not matter because you are not attatched to the ideas that it is good if it snows and bad if it does not .You just live then .This is people may[myself included] not the right thread but then again it is entitled 'Moaning about the winter' and my post does address those issues ,albeit unconventionally relative to the other posts.bye

Posted

funny how we are all intrested in the weather but moan about how boring and crap it usually is

i myself get frustrated with the mediocore weather but i just can't ever give up this hobby.

you dont have to give up meteorology as a 'hobby' as you put it .From your words it seems you could benifit from reading my earliest post.Study Meteorology or use it the same way footballers fans use football.I know what i prefer[,soz ,it may make no sense ,possibly]Iif you read my earliest post about none attatchment to the weather and or everything ypou may see where im coming from..bye

I would say that it's been more than a decent winter for my location, the problem is that it's only the NW that has had a decent winter whereas everywhere else it has been rubbish. But patience is still needed and it's best to enjoy whatever the weather is. And isn't the end of the world if winter is poor, there are many other good things in life other than snow and cold so there's really little need to be depressed if it has been a poor winter for your location.

YES Edited by greybing

Posted

Most dissapointing cold spell ever in one of the worst winters in living memory here.

Yet again despite cold temperatures only a slight forst and it looks 100% certain this weekend will be a washout here whilst the South East gets all the snow as usual, typical this event didn't back west but Sunday-Mondays front couldn't back west quick enough http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.png, got to laugh really at how snowless we are here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

Looks like my 8cm snowcover will melt this afternoon, as the GFS 0z has me at 6c later :sorry:

Edited by Tellow

Posted

Winter 2011/12 R.I.P

Another carrot being dangled before our eyes, as in heights over Greenland, are now being delayed somewhat going off this mornings output. I still believe that by the time heights become favourable, we'll be entering the latter stages of February. Who cares by then, the facts speak for themselves, how many cold spells have there been at the latter end of February, that have delivered the goods?

Posted

Winter 2011/12 R.I.P

Another carrot being dangled before our eyes, as in heights over Greenland, are now being delayed somewhat going off this mornings output. I still believe that by the time heights become favourable, we'll be entering the latter stages of February. Who cares by then, the facts speak for themselves, how many cold spells have there been at the latter end of February, that have delivered the goods?

1986? Sub freezing days and snowfall in the last third of the month.

In recent years 2004 and 2005 had decent cold spells at the end of Feb/start of March and 2006 had a great March.

Posted

1986? Sub freezing days and snowfall in the last third of the month.

In recent years 2004 and 2005 had decent cold spells at the end of Feb/start of March and 2006 had a great March.

86 was, but 2004 and 2005 certainly wasn't around here. By delivering the goods I mean a lengthy cold spell with lying snow. Just doesn't happen that often, in the latter stages of February.

Posted

86 was, but 2004 and 2005 certainly wasn't around here. By delivering the goods I mean a lengthy cold spell with lying snow. Just doesn't happen that often, in the latter stages of February.

It depends on what your expectations are. I think most people who are snow fans if by middle February have seen so little in the way of snow would be grateful of another late Feb-early March 2005 spell again.

Its funny you say Feb 1986 because yes it was very cold and there were snowfalls during that month but it wasn't a snowfest. Infact you could argue that there were more notable snowfalls during the late Feb-early March 2005 spell than during Feb 1986.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

It depends on what your expectations are. I think most people who are snow fans if by middle February have seen so little in the way of snow would be grateful of another late Feb-early March 2005 spell again.

Its funny you say Feb 1986 because yes it was very cold and there were snowfalls during that month but it wasn't a snowfest. Infact you could argue that there were more notable snowfalls during the late Feb-early March 2005 spell than during Feb 1986.

True it wasn't a snowfest, but it was a lengthy cold spell with some lying snow. For me as we approach March I'm looking forward to longer days and some spring warmth, with the occasional cold snap thrown in. I've a feeling that this spring will be cold and unsettled unfortunately.

Posted

Although I've had 9cm of lying snow since last evening, I feel very downhearted about the outlook today. Any consolation? I just feel theres been a signif downgrade thats all. And indeed, I feel much less confident about the rest of February now :sorry:

Edited by Tellow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

If you have any lying snow right now, you really shouldn't be posting in this thread!

I'll take your 9cm thank you very much.

Indeed, 0cm of snow in this part of the UK. Quite mild with light rain.

Some disagreement between RTE and the BBC on the weekly forcast this evening, with RTE going for a bitterly cold theme later in the week whereas the BBC are keeping with the mild theme here.

It'll be interesting to see who is correct.

Posted

If you have any lying snow right now, you really shouldn't be posting in this thread!

I'll take your 9cm thank you very much.

me to.Melted here ,mostly ,bits of snow ,ice ,standing ,slowly freezing pddles.All lakes and ponds are frozen and I suspect will stay so for some time.I think feb will be good.

Posted

Well according to quite a few people it definitely seems to more or less game set and match for this winter.

Is it almost finally time for me to leave(in other words away this forum) and put this dreadful excuse of a season behind or should I stick around for a little longer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Winter, the meteorological season, ends on the 1st of March, but there isn't some magic switch that flicks when we enter March.. you're more likely to see snow in March then you are summer-like weather

• Like 1