Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

After initial optimism this morning with a possible easterly showing it's teeth it's all gone rather pear shaped again (that didn't take long). We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Maybe for some, but if you look past the pendulum swings then you can see which direction we are headed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Maybe for some, but if you look past the pendulum swings then you can see which direction we are headed.

Agreed the trend is there, whether we get proper cold on these shores and it stays to our east is another thing.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted

Double digit temperature. Strong westerly wind. Lots of uncertainity in models. Just another day.

We seem to have been here for weeks (with only last weekend providing a break).

It is still January and I know there are many examples winters in the past when we have yet to have our coldest (and in some cases most severe) period of the winter. However, with each passing day...I'm feeling less and less motivated to come online and see whats going on and whats in store. I feel like we're going round and round in circles at the minute.

However, 3 years ago, I got a new car. The 3 year period on it is now up and we're going to trade it in for a new model. I have very bad luck with weather and new cars and the fact that the weather makes me scared to go out in it. The date I last signed for a new car was 1st February 2009. Some point in the next week we're going to sign for our new one.

Now for me, that is more reliable than any model!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Not sure about other areas but January 1995 saw whopping snowfalls in Yorkshire, here's the chart for the 26th of January 1995 showing the low pressure responsible for the mega-snow on that day

Posted Image

I'll take this again!

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Yep up to 12c today, this winter has now seen 24 days (in this part of the country) with double digit maxes and very few 'cold' days and as mentioned just last weekend/monday providing chillier temps and some frosts other than that very little. No doubt our expectations have risen over the last few winters and maybe we have just gone back to default this winter.

Posted

To all those looking forward to spring, look outside, that is what you're looking forward to!

Posted

OK, if needs be, I'll volunteer to go to the Azores for a bit. It's got to be pleasantly warm there right now under that high.

So my thinking is that bad weather always follows me around and murphy's law dictates that if I'm in the Azores...the high pressure will go away.

See...the things I'll do for you!

Posted

To all those looking forward to spring, look outside, that is what you're looking forward to!

looks like its still autumn to me,

Posted

Someone wake me up when winter arrives please! :lazy:

i think you are gonna have a very very long sleep

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

Not sure about other areas but January 1995 saw whopping snowfalls in Yorkshire, here's the chart for the 26th of January 1995 showing the low pressure responsible for the mega-snow on that day

Posted Image

I'll take this again!

I remember that day well!! had to abandon our car and walk home .....lets have a repeat :D

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Where have our seasons gone. No summer,no autumn and now no bloody winter. Its like a weather watchers nightmare. Maybe i will wake up and be back in Dec 2010 and realise the last year was just a bad dream lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

That's it, I give up. Not a hope in hell of getting any decent snow this winter where I live :-(. I will just have to put the sledge back in the garage and hope we have a great spring and summer instead. :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

Looks like the only snow I shall be seeing this winter is of the artificial kind :( still dreaming....

Posted

Yeah, I feel like this will be the first winter in over a decade that I haven't gotten any snow accumulation. Terrible!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yeah, I feel like this will be the first winter in over a decade that I haven't gotten any snow accumulation. Terrible!!!!!!

Too early to be writing it off yet, Aaron. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised before the end of February. It is looking likely though that we'll get through the whole of January with no lying snow here which is quite unusual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There's also a chance of Cleadon seeing out the whole of January without any sleet or snow falling- which would be the first time in January since at least 1992, and possibly since 1989. It's not a certainty though as we do have a polar maritime incursion coming up midweek and maybe, just maybe, an easterly flow in occupation by the end of January (even a bit of sleety drizzle in a mostly dry cloudy easterly would be enough to prevent January from achieving that).

Posted

There still hasnt been even a single occasion of sleet or snow falling here yet this winter. The last time this happened in both December and January was in the winter of 1988/89 and even then, November 1988 had 2 days with sleet/snow falling and one day with snow lying at 0900. So its pretty unprecedented.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

We have had a few days of falling snow, and 1 day of settling snow which melted by morning.

2 inches was the total.

Posted

Everyday I am up and down the A1 for work and I pass the huge signs saying ''is your car ready for winter'' tomorow I am going to stop and write my own sign and say ''what winter''

This must be the mildest winter I've experience for a good few years!!!

Posted

Everyday I am up and down the A1 for work and I pass the huge signs saying ''is your car ready for winter'' tomorow I am going to stop and write my own sign and say ''what winter''

This must be the mildest winter I've experience for a good few years!!!

and certainly the dullest !!

Posted

Well we had sleet and a bit of snow this January, the snow was for a very short period though, and the sleet was during some showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The only January here with no lying snow at 0900 was 1989 although there have been 5 others with just one day ( 1992, 1998, 2006, 2008 and 2011 ). It looks as if it will go right to the wire for 2012 not to join 1989 .