Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Posted

Exactly its typical that we get these charts now and not in summer, plus this autumn was euro high dominated and if we had those synoptics in summer we would of had many days of heat and thunderstorms.

Also as Gavin said on the MOD thread the jet stream will probably go south next summer annoyingly and there will be loads of northern blocking just at the time of year we don't want it :angry::wallbash:

Hopefully something happens within the weather systems in next few years or to stretch it even further at some point in our lifetimes to make our seasons flow as they should do i.e Hot in the summer, Wet and windy in Autumn, Cold and Snow in winter etc.

Not counting on it though.

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

I get bored with viewing the sypnotics in a mild zonal pattern.That`s apart from seeing no snow or frosty weather.

When the models start churning out repetitive runs you run out of things to discuss.I mean how many ways can you analyise Lows to the North and a Euro/Bartlett High bringing a mild Swestrly flow over the UK?

Against good instinct you also start looking well into FI for a sign of a change and if you spot one you want to believe it`s going to occur.

I know exactly what you mean.

2011 has been a rubbish year in the south.

Hardly any thunderstorms, hardly any snow, hardly any interesting events. Why?

Because we have had to suffer 9/12 months of south westerly - westerly dross that results in synoptics that don't favour the S.E. for interesting events. I thought 2008 was bad but 2011 has been horrendous - no decent summer thunderstorms since 2006 now. For such a 'westerly' year, rainfall levels have been very low in this area.

Such boring weather situations results in little to discuss too - not a good scenario at this time of the year where there far too little (non weather) to enjoy already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Shouldn't this thread open at end of february when we have seen no further snowfall. :p

Only kidding, plenty to play for still folks. I'm sure we will get there, just it's gonna take P.A.T.I.E.N.C.E.

Posted

why is it that just before xmas, the 'morning shoppers' at tescos decide to shop at all other times of the day?

They are a certain type of shopper who have no awareness of the fact that other people are in the store. they walk as slow as they possibly can, in a completely erratic pattern taking up as much space in the aisle as they can, then stop their trolley directly opposite someone elses thereby blocking the whole aisle. or they see someone they know and stop for a chat in the same 'aisle blocking' formation. when they are moving towards you, they don't look where they are going and crash their trolley into you and rarely notice they have done so! kill them! kill them all!

when i got back from tescos last night, i had to play 'Postal 2' for an hour to de-stress!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Doing a big Christmas shop on Saturday, not sure how packed it will be as I have not done Christmas Eve shopping for ages!

Another mild day today, but at least it is raining and feels cooler

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

Today, having read model discussion and monthly outlooks, along with newspaper articles, I've sort of had a 'realisation' that the winter is going to be mild.

Hope not though.

Posted

Today, having read model discussion and monthly outlooks, along with newspaper articles, I've sort of had a 'realisation' that the winter is going to be mild.

Hope not though.

How so?, it might turn out to be mild but from reading the Stratosphere thread anything is still possible at this stage if everything ends up falling in the right place.

All these calls about winter already being over are far too premature IMO.

Posted

Doing a big Christmas shop on Saturday, not sure how packed it will be as I have not done Christmas Eve shopping for ages!

Another mild day today, but at least it is raining and feels cooler

Oh Aaron could have put the same words ,

i was too lazy to do shopping after work tonight looked packed this evening !

And same mild, light rain now wind slowly starting to be felt

Posted

Well when (if) winter arrives in the SE, I night start to moan at what dire mild weather we are having for this time of year!

Posted

Same old on the 12z runs. One of the most monotonous periods of model watching I can remember. Hopefully there's a change coming in the South Australian Osciilation or the Himalayan Wind Torque or something to help us out of the rut.

Model watching was pretty monotonous in autumn as well with that big fat euro high.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Why is it when we have a period of mild weather during winter, the degree in the dumbness and factual inaccuracy of some posts increases? I have seen some recently that quite frankly have been twaddle.

ECM suggests at T120 supported by the GFS the intensity of a high over Greenland growing. With some additional NE blocking we start to see raw NE feed with frequent snow showers after boxing day becoming wide spread across the UK by the 27th ?. Thats my current take on the models ?

Posted

I think it's a shame that so many equate interesting weather only with snow and cold. Personally, after over 4 decades of being interested in weather, I can find interest in many different weather types. For example, today we had a very vigorous cold front, with heavy rain and squalls (wouldn't be surprised if someone somewhere had a tornado, or at least a funnel cloud), a temperature drop of 4C in around an hour, and the Atlantic is continuing to feed in further active LP.

What I can't stand is the grey, murky, slack anticyclonic muck we can get in winter, cold, miserable and sunless. Such conditions can go on for days - at least it's not like that.

Having said all that, in my younger days I eagerly awaited snow and can remember the amazing 1962/63 winter where, even on the Isle of Wight where I lived at the time, we had snow drifts on our lawn from December to March!

It hardly needs saying ,but it is wise not to set too much store by anything the models say beyond 5 days so it's not necessary to become despondant if they keep repeating the same pattern in the extended time frame. Looking at the latest model output, there is a consensus on the development of a vigorous LP around 28th, but I don't think they handle what happens very well thereafter. Yes, we still have a pretty intense jet out of the US but it looks more likely to me that a more meridional wave pattern will develop as the upper trough in mid-Atlantic amplifies.

I think we still need to watch for a pressure build over E Europe in the coming days - it's the absence of any blocking there that I think is keeping the model output mobile.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I echo the sentiment of much of Old Met Man's post above. My particular preference is cold and snow but if it's going to be mild( and it often is when you live on the windward side of 3000 miles of warm ocean) then I'm quite happy if there's a constant succession of depressions bringing copious amounts of rain and a few severe gales thrown in.

My unreserved loathing is for dry and mild, or for an area of high pressure to the south which exerts enough influence to kill off any fronts unless you happen to live in north west Scotland or the Lake District; something we saw far too much of during the autumn.

My least favourite winter months would be along the lines of January 1989 or February 1998 and we're a long way from those at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

You won't find me moaning about the weather but there are some posters on this site who annoy me! I find it curious how some find enjoyment coming into sites like this and posting in a provocative manner that they now will annoy others who would like cold and snow, I certainly find numerous posters acting that way, especially at times like this when the charts are very poor for anyone wanting cold and snow and as i'm a coldie I find people like that very sad indeed, they need to get a life!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

It was always going to be likely that we would get a normal winter after the past few cold ones we have had. Like it or not, this is what winter should be like for an Island exposed to prevailing winds from the second largest ocean in the world. Some people seem to think that the averages temperatures in December should be about 2C during the day! In reality they are from 8-10C along the south coast and South East.

Personally I do like snow, but it's the days of 4-6C that I just hate. Nothing pleasant about freezing to death in a raw wind when there is no chance of snow. However I would happily take a December 2010 again, even though the chances of that happening again are very low.

Posted

Just some food for thought: Imagine it was December 1946, we would have been in a similar mind frame to what we are now, unaware of the upcoming cold which wouldn't arrive until the last third of January.

Posted

Just some food for thought: Imagine it was December 1946, we would have been in a similar mind frame to what we are now, unaware of the upcoming cold which wouldn't arrive until the last third of January.

Not really. December 1946 was 3.1C and the 15th-22nd averaged 0.0C. January only contained two very mild days mid-month and was quite cold in the first 10 days aswell. Its a bit of a myth that seems to circulate frequently that the rest of the winter wasnt anything to write home about.

That winter and this are like chalk and cheese unfortunately, well so far at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i must say it's been rubbish weatherwise here this year. April and start of october was nice. I was looking forward t6 snow on the 16th all i had to wake up to was rain. Even thet had warning for snow i hope 2012 is better for weather and i hope we c snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I echo the sentiment of much of Old Met Man's post above. My particular preference is cold and snow but if it's going to be mild( and it often is when you live on the windward side of 3000 miles of warm ocean) then I'm quite happy if there's a constant succession of depressions bringing copious amounts of rain and a few severe gales thrown in.

My unreserved loathing is for dry and mild, or for an area of high pressure to the south which exerts enough influence to kill off any fronts unless you happen to live in north west Scotland or the Lake District; something we saw far too much of during the autumn.

My least favourite winter months would be along the lines of January 1989 or February 1998 and we're a long way from those at the moment.

I'm like you, I will take mild weather if it brings copious amounts of rain, but the current mild setup is not bringing anything, no rain, no fog, no nothing.

Not really. December 1946 was 3.1C and the 15th-22nd averaged 0.0C. January only contained two very mild days mid-month and was quite cold in the first 10 days aswell. Its a bit of a myth that seems to circulate frequently that the rest of the winter wasnt anything to write home about.

That winter and this are like chalk and cheese unfortunately, well so far at least.

Well it was noted for its severe snow (unlike 1963 which was noted for its cold), which is probably why the winter of '47 is only seen as February/March, because that is when the severe snow occurred.

Posted

i must say it's been rubbish weatherwise here this year. April and start of october was nice. I was looking forward t6 snow on the 16th all i had to wake up to was rain. Even thet had warning for snow i hope 2012 is better for weather and i hope we c snow.

A funny year indeed , but would not say rubbish. we in for the warmest calendar yeear for France nationaly.

May was good here too. June bit less but a few stations recorded the highest june temp near Paris 36.6c

11 month in the warm against one in the cold for 2011 nationaly !!

As a weather lover , i just get what is on offer!!! ( otherwise if i can afford i travel!!!)

Ps the weather now has a good advantage though : am saving on my heating bills!!!

Edited by jean91

Posted

It's starting to look like February may be our last hope...

Edited by Tellow

Posted

Theres certainly a long time to go yet, but this winter certainly 'feels' like a milder than average one is gradually showing itself and much different to the last three. At the moment it has all the hallmarks of one - at least in this location anyway. We've had just two air frosts in December (min -0.7C) and no snow falling or laying and the winter index is a very low 3 (lower than 1988/89). The models arent even showing cold blasts in FI and we seem to be on a perpetual quest for 'signs of a change'.

Still, if last winter had been the other way around Im sure it would have felt much the same - February was pretty poor for cold weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Pretty much sums things up from my perspective Reef.

I would love some snow and frosts whilst the days are short,as old as i am.

I do find it sad that i have to wear my objectivity hat in the MOD thread-when analyising the Zonal outlook currently showing in the output.

I can understand some coldies picking on the slightest sign of cold output but it doesn`t change the current outlook i regret to say.