Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

God.. what a horrendous forecast coming up.. lows of 9C in December? My word.. might as well be in bloody Barcelona.. but Barcelona has a colder forecast with lows of 1C!!!

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

It is now very likely here will go over a year since the last day of snow cover. Says it all about 2011 really. Utter blandness really. Very few events stick out. A couple of Night thunderstorms, the early october heat and the glorious April. Other than that, nothing to say. 2012 must surely be better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

It is now very likely here will go over a year since the last day of snow cover. Says it all about 2011 really. Utter blandness really. Very few events stick out. A couple of Night thunderstorms, the early october heat and the glorious April. Other than that, nothing to say. 2012 must surely be better.

2011 has been a very strage year world wide maybe as you say 2012 will return to something more normal.

Posted

Same although we never even had thunderstorms here and Shropshire was the cloudiest place in England & Wales in April http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.png

Telford has definately won the award for the most 'non weather' this year http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

NO WINTER NO SNOW IM DEVASTED :cray:

Posted

Well, if it isn't going to snow then please let it rain bucket loads.. that's the only thing the Atlantic is good for, that and wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

if its not going to snow, lets have it dry and settled, looks fairly settled between now and new year, so not too bad

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah. .and very cloudy.. quite like the cloud though.

Posted

I notice my little philosophical comment on moaning about things or being attatched to things[weather] is a bad idea psychologically speaking.I don't believe it was correct to delete my post,tar

Posted

Some crumbs of comfort for you.

We are not alone in our situation. Having lived in Columbus, Ohio for a couple of years I still keep up the weather going on there. Normally by now, they've had at least one shot of proper cold and they should have had a round of lying snow by now. Well they haven't...all they've had a few flurries and a couple off sharp frosts so far. No more than some of us really. It really is getting late for it over there now.

Germany and France are in the same boat as us of course as well. So at least this yucky winter doesn't seem to have it exclusively in for the UK this time!

We need to go find the Great Lakes/French/German weather forums and any other parts of the world who are about to suffer this mucky weather and offer our sympathies!

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

My experience of these "Bartlett" type setups is that more often than not, we get a dry sunny zone towards the SE, a dull wet zone towards the NW and a dry cloudy windy zone in between. I particularly remember the period 9th-12th February 1998 for this, being stuck under dull dry weather at Cleadon with maxima of 14C and minima of 10C while down south they were reporting bright sunshine as if it was happening across the whole country, though the dry sunny zone did extend further north and west on the 13th/14th giving Cleadon a couple of sunny and exceptionally warm days.

Looking at the current model outputs, Cleadon will probably be stuck in the dry cloudy zone. I'm rarely against dry settled weather when it involves a fair amount of sunshine (as long as it doesn't go on for weeks on end) but the upcoming week looks set to have a mix of so-called "usable" weather with lots of cloud, the odd bit of sun and the odd bit of rain, which tends to get boring fast.

Posted

Dec, again most likely the coldest month of winter, been quite a wintry 1st half, for most of the UK, I feel this winter will be similar to last year, in some areas winter kind of ended on 28th Dec, this year the mild air arriving on 21st Dec, for Scotland of course different story, winter like last year continuing through febuary

not saying winter finished of course, but Dec is usually the coldest month especially nowadays

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted

A horrible grey wet day today, the heavy stuff has no problem getting here when its of rain but throughout the cold spell we got nothing but the lightest of the light precipitation.

2011 will end with only 2 days of falling snow 7th January when there was 2cm in the morning before mild air followed, and last friday 18th Dec for 10 minutes!, we just had drizzle thursday night and light rain showers!! over the weekend.

Posted

I don't really have much to moan about as such because I did have falling heavy and lying snow on Friday, the only complaint I can really have is that it didn't last longer with the rain washing most of it away come the next morning.

I'm content with that for now and will continue to be unless come the mid Jan period there's still no signs of anything changing, that could well end up to be the case but for now I'll continue to cling onto that as a possibility.

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted

I don't have anything to moan about either. I'm just only disapointed that there'll be no White Christmas but I can live with that and look forward to the rest of the winter.

Posted

In 2010/2011, the real wintry weather was nearly over.

In 2009/2010, we had only just started to get going around now.

In 2008/2009, the best bit was still a month away.

In 2007/2008, we had already had a taster in November, but had another 3 months to wait until the next bit.

In 2006/2007, we were just over a month away from a brief yet potent snowfall.

My point? For the last 5 years we have experienced an event here in the West Midlands that has been memorable, (even if we did have to wait until Spring!). It was only really last year where it all happened before the new year. Before 2006 I didn't live in the West Midlands. I lived in Lowestoft, Bangor and Sunderland (plus 2 years in Ohio). Only 1995/1996 really sticks out as another year where winter really gave us it's best shot before the New Year.

What we're enduring now is miserable for us wanting real winter weather...and the outlook isn't pretty. But there are so many winters that you could use as an example of why it may not stay this way.

And if we do get another 1998, then hopefully we can get some interest out of it by recording record high temperatures. If it must be mild during winter...then it may as well be stupidly mild!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

Make me also someone who doesn't have anything to moan about. Before yesterday I was a moaner but my pleasant surprise waking up yesterday morning to an inch of snow (even if it did melt by lunchtime) leaves me satisfied with December's weather, as I initially thought it would be average to mild throughout. Not to mention the fact that the snow wasn't even on the cards for me yesterday even though snowflakes were falling the size of my fists!

Before yesterday, in fact, I thought I may have been looking at a winter with no lying snow!

@Gord, Very true!

To add to winter 2006/2007 (a seemingly mild winter overall), February 8-10th brought almost continuous snowfall for me on 8th and on the second half of 9th. That event, (in addition to the late-January 2007 event) was almost two months off.

Edited by Tellow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I get bored with viewing the sypnotics in a mild zonal pattern.That`s apart from seeing no snow or frosty weather.

When the models start churning out repetitive runs you run out of things to discuss.I mean how many ways can you analyise Lows to the North and a Euro/Bartlett High bringing a mild Swestrly flow over the UK?

Against good instinct you also start looking well into FI for a sign of a change and if you spot one you want to believe it`s going to occur.

Posted

all straw clutching in model thread, even saw the last chart 384 posted, as a half hearted northerly, no way, this mild setup lasting at least another 6 weeks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

@snow? norfolk n chance

Guess that covers the whole of January in your mind then - I hope you're wrong but may well be right...

Posted

all straw clutching in model thread, even saw the last chart 384 posted, as a half hearted northerly, no way, this mild setup lasting at least another 6 weeks

Rubbish two weeks from now it will be totaly differant

Posted

Hello to all,

I am not a moaner either , i take what comes ,( even though would prefer something else)

Just wanted to tell you , we need to be patient sometimes ( ok very patient sometimes) as like what happened in March 2005 with snow on the 2th march and 4th march here in Paris, and an extroardinary -9.4c for Orly airport near Paris for the 1st March.The coldest minimum temp for the winter and one of the coldest temp in the last 10 years or more ( 8th january 2010 i think is the coldest since a long time - 13.3c )

Sorry that is in french : http://france.meteofrance.com/jsp/site/Portal.jsp?document_id=22107&portlet_id=52011&page_id=14093

So never loose hope with the weather !!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Sadly for me am out of here on the 9th Jan to the tropics for the rest of the year, i cant afford to be patient

what the models have shown for late december/january has come as a bit of a kick in the tadger. Basically exactly what i didnt want to be shown for my window of opportunity is on show. How there are people who will enjoy this rubbish I cant quite get, bar those wanting easy travel journeys or old people of course

Its really really boring and unfestive and next year I wont be model watching. At least then i can retain some hope to wake up the next day to something better

Posted

Rubbish cold spell, nothing but drizzle thursday night, rain showers yesterday, rain showers this morning and now turning milder, only had 10 minutes of wet snow on Friday after an half an hour of sleet and now yet again the charts we would of killed in summer are gearing up to ruin the rest of the month.

Exactly its typical that we get these charts now and not in summer, plus this autumn was euro high dominated and if we had those synoptics in summer we would of had many days of heat and thunderstorms.

Also as Gavin said on the MOD thread the jet stream will probably go south next summer annoyingly and there will be loads of northern blocking just at the time of year we don't want it :angry::wallbash: