Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Posted

Saw my first snow flake today :) What a contrast to last year.....

Still, foolish to write this winter off so early, last winter wasn't that great in what have previously been good months around here (Jan, Feb & March).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

Does anyone else agree that if it hasn't snowed before Christmas, most people say "It's hardly snowed/it's not going to snow" this winter? And I don't mean people with an interest in weather like on here I mean people in general.

Posted

Does anyone else agree that if it hasn't snowed before Christmas, most people say "It's hardly snowed/it's not going to snow" this winter? And I don't mean people with an interest in weather like on here I mean people in general.

It's kind of poitntless because you've got the rest of the winter left and the greatest winters often have the best of cold and snow after Xmas. It really is Xmas onwards that has winter at it's best whereas before that the snow is only confined to the north.

However this December here has been pretty good for cold and snow so it has snowed. And by the end of the week people in the south might see some snow. If I were you I wouldn't get worried about winter yet as we've barely completed the first hald of the first third of winter. And if people believe that it's not going to snow because of none before Xmas then they could be in for a major shock later on. Still we've got December to be completed and so far up here it has been very decent but really it's kind of what you want for a winter month or a December if you can't get sustained deep cold. It's kind of been like some of the December's in the late nineties and early noughties.

Posted

2011 now 3 days of snow falling (mixed rain with sleet showers 13th and 14th Dec, and snow from 0800-1000, 7th Jan) and 1 day snow lying; 7th Jan 2cm at 0900 UT.

2008 and 1992 had no lying snow at all, 1999 and 1993 only 1 day..

2 airfrosts this winter season, 7th November and last Saturday 10th December, although on the latter day it had risen above freezing by 8am. Haven't seen a proper "white frost" since late January.

Posted

Im sick of these lows always tracking south in the end and arriving as snizzly drizzle, it would be nice for once to get a heavy snow event instead of having to hope on getting the scraps all the time, last winter and the winter before that were terrible examples of this.

Posted

Argh been anticipating the first proper snowfall for me all day and it is currently 4C when the forecast was 1C :aggressive:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Oh wow, I forgot about this thread, I have a whole heap of moaning to do about yesterday morning!!

We missed all the snow, well, except for a tiny bit that left slush.. all the snow just avoided her and fizzled out.. I mean, come on, even Wakefield got snow.. Bradford 7 miles west got snow, and Sheffield.. this reminds me of summer when I watch thunderstorms on raintoday, only for them to fizzle out before they reach here.. expect me to be in here a lot of these persists throughout the winter!

Okay, ranting over. http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiliz39.gif

Posted

Grrrrrr it hasn't snowed when everyone forecast it overnight! Only rain!!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Its an old wives tale of course, like my great grandmother use to say if the sun isn't out on 2nd June summer is over but they use to hospitalise people back then.

Posted

I have a feeling that I may see no lying snow whatsoever this winter!

Posted

I have a feeling that I may see no lying snow whatsoever this winter!

A bit negative thinking. December ain't over yet and we've got two months of winter which may see some blocking if developments in the arctic go to plan. And then there's a spring.

That old wives tale is not worth paying attention to. And for many people in the northern third of the UK, we've already seen plenty of snow before Xmas and even some areas further south have had some snow. Infact. where I am this has been a great month for snow! Yes it may not be a Big Freeze or have an event like March 2006 but I've already equalled last December in terms of falling snow and with lying snow, we've equalled January 2011 in terms of no. of days (which will be beaten) and right now I've got 3cm of snow making the area a winter wonderland. And the previous 5 days have been decent, with one day of a dusting and the rest with 3-7cm of lying snow. So really here, it's been a better than average month for snow and has already met my requirements for the winter which is great. It has already beaten the likes of winters in the mid naughties and kind of reminds me of December 1999 and the winters of the early naughties which is pretty decent. So I'm very happy that already I haven't had to endure another almost snowless winter and perhaps there's more to come.

Posted

A bit negative thinking. December ain't over yet and we've got two months of winter which may see some blocking if developments in the arctic go to plan. And then there's a spring.

That old wives tale is not worth paying attention to. And for many people in the northern third of the UK, we've already seen plenty of snow before Xmas and even some areas further south have had some snow. Infact. where I am this has been a great month for snow! Yes it may not be a Big Freeze or have an event like March 2006 but I've already equalled last December in terms of falling snow and with lying snow, we've equalled January 2011 in terms of no. of days (which will be beaten) and right now I've got 3cm of snow making the area a winter wonderland. And the previous 5 days have been decent, with one day of a dusting and the rest with 3-7cm of lying snow. So really here, it's been a better than average month for snow and has already met my requirements for the winter which is great. It has already beaten the likes of winters in the mid naughties and kind of reminds me of December 1999 and the winters of the early naughties which is pretty decent. So I'm very happy that already I haven't had to endure another almost snowless winter and perhaps there's more to come.

If you were down here where I live, you'd be forgiven for being a bit negative.

We had 1" of snow in that amazing winter last year and none this winter so far.

Soon we'll have gone a WHOLE year without snow and there's nothing on the horizon.

I'm starting to get seriously dissillusioned with the weather here in the midlands, we had no summer, no storms, no rain, no sunshine, no hail, no floods, not many frosts, no heatwave, no gales....the list goes on.

This will go down as 'the year without weather' to me and alot of other people who live in the midlands.

Posted

I've got a funny feeling this will be as close to a snowfall that we might get this winter in these parts, the Atlantic looks very active compared to recent years. Also waiting for the first air frost here too! Quite amazing to think throughout autumn we had 'blocking' but the wrong kind with a continuation of warm/mild continental feed and so as the block was 'snapped' nothing but Atlantic stuff!

Edited by Timmy H

Posted

If you were down here where I live, you'd be forgiven for being a bit negative.

We had 1" of snow in that amazing winter last year and none this winter so far.

Soon we'll have gone a WHOLE year without snow and there's nothing on the horizon.

I'm starting to get seriously dissillusioned with the weather here in the midlands, we had no summer, no storms, no rain, no sunshine, no hail, no floods, not many frosts, no heatwave, no gales....the list goes on.

This will go down as 'the year without weather' to me and alot of other people who live in the midlands.

Patience. Think SSW, and perhaps we'll pay for the lack of snow (well for some).

Posted

Patience. Think SSW, and perhaps we'll pay for the lack of snow (well for some).

I don't understand, you will pay for the lack of snow - what do you mean by that. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
The BBC are forecasting 14c for Wednesday for Darlington I wonder if any records could be broken for the warmest ever winter solstice day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

*Looks at Gavin's signature*

The Winter solstice falls on precisely the 22nd of December @ 05:30 GMT this year, the days will slowly get longer from this day forward. :)

http://wwp.greenwich...om/longest-day/

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Rubbish cold spell, nothing but drizzle thursday night, rain showers yesterday, rain showers this morning and now turning milder, only had 10 minutes of wet snow on Friday after an half an hour of sleet and now yet again the charts we would of killed in summer are gearing up to ruin the rest of the month.

Posted

OK, so November, absolute rubbish. December has been a bit better, but still not that good.

If winter continues settling in at it's current rate...we should have a snow cover around....July? :p

Nah, seriously though, the next week looks lie a big fat NO as far as cold weather goes, and possibly the week after. This current cold spell has been next to useless here as far as cold spells go...just couldn't get the snow going, not even this morning while many other places receive dustings.

So time to forget about the weather for a bit and enjoy Christmas.

However, time is still very very much on our side this winter. The weather seemed to recognise when we moved from 2010 to 2011 last year, who would have known that there was to be no more snow as we entered January? Maybe the opposite will happen this time around.

Hope to be discussing things with you all again in January....and hopefully even before then. For now, time to get the walking boots on...me and the dog have plenty of mud to go splashing through over the next week!

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

When winter arrives I might start moaning. Recently though we've seen pretty typical autumnal patterns, more what I would expect in November than December.