Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I must be easily pleased...

It doesn't bother me to much if we don't get much or any snow this winter beacuse of what we've had over the last two.

Since i've been a member on Net-weather back in 2004, up until Winter 2009/10 we had to endure winter after winter of depressing charts, and it was really a case not when but if we would ever see a proper winter ever again. Then bingo, snow extreme cold months, & now I can sit safely in the knowledge that we will get plenty more of where that came from, maybe not this winter, but I am sure snow & cold will be a plenty in winters to come.

Something else to think about, in previous solar minimums there were very mild winters, not all had bitter cold.

Posted

I must be easily pleased...

It doesn't bother me to much if we don't get much or any snow this winter beacuse of what we've had over the last two.

Since i've been a member on Net-weather back in 2004, up until Winter 2009/10 we had to endure winter after winter of depressing charts, and it was really a case not when but if we would ever see a proper winter ever again. Then bingo, snow extreme cold months, & now I can sit safely in the knowledge that we will get plenty more of where that came from, maybe not this winter, but I am sure snow & cold will be a plenty in winters to come.

Something else to think about, in previous solar minimums there were very mild winters, not all had bitter cold.

Solar cycle 21 peaked around 1980, it was a biggie, i had a cb radio then, and the skip as we called it was major to say the least

propergation as its really called, now in cycle 24 is on the up, its been very good over the last few weeks, have ham radio now

and its coming in from all over the place, multipul paths, and some reckon cycle 24 wont be up to much, i am not too sure

Back to cycle 21, in 1981/82 we had a very cold winter, i remember minus 20+ at night for several weeks and that was at near enough

the peak of a very big cycle, there can be only one explanation to that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

here's mine- i wish people would stop writing off winter before its happened! we all know the models can be frustrating and not show us what we want to see but thats what they do! we also know they can suddenly change without warning. the other side of the coin is, they can sometimes be right. we may get a mild winter but its not the end of the world! (that comes next year lol) just enjoy the weather, whatever it throws at us, and if its boring, enjoy something else!

Rob

A mild winter is not the end of the world ???

I was offered a night of passion and wild sex the other night or to wait downstairs for the GFS and ECM updates. No brainer. I do lean towards the ECM

My brother asked what I wanted for christmas, I said

For the Greenland high to strengthen to have no mild outliers in operational runs. The Dam 548 spreads across the whole of the UK with 850's at -15c across all regions.

The end of the Euro block and a continous North Easterly, Easterly feed for 2 months etc

He said I would have to have one of those £1 massive chocloate bars from poundland as money is tight :cray:

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

A mild winter is not the end of the world ???

I was offered a night of passion and wild sex the other night or to wait downstairs for the GFS and ECM updates. No brainer. I do lean towards the ECM

:rofl:

Or an even better dilemma - lampost watching for imminent snow ( a 'snow job') or a rhyming alternative. :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

You do really woffle sometimes TWS. Snow is a pain in the rectum for many reasons and what exactly are the benefits?

I get SAD every year from around September and I can tell you now that snow cover cheers me up no end - no doubt the reflected ultra violet and general brightness given by the snow has some effect. it also provides a wonderful winter playground for adults and children alike :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

You do really woffle sometimes TWS. Snow is a pain in the rectum for many reasons and what exactly are the benefits?

Don't you think that's a bit harsh matey!! After all, this is a weather forum. :)

Posted

:rofl:

Or an even better dilemma - lampost watching for imminent snow ( a 'snow job') or a rhyming alternative. :whistling:

Would people go back to lamp post watching at 4am if we do have a mild winter ?

I thought that was a standard requirement of membership ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

I would like to vent my frustration at people who write off winter because it hasn't shown on the charts by the middle of November.

For all those coldies wanting a really classic winter it is worth remembering the following

Dec 62 had a quiet foggy and chilly start then rain and gales mid month even on the 20th Dec there was a very deep icelandic low and south westerly winds

with no hint of what was to start a few days later.

1947 didn't get going in earnest until the 3rd week of January.

Posted

Just come in from a walk with a dog up at Kinver Edge. Actually rather enjoyed it. The murkiness actually gave it a nice feel with pockets of mist and cloud rolling around in the hills and valleys. The National Trust were out burning away bracken and branches...and many other people (and dogs) were all out enjoying themselves...not one frown to be seen. As the light faded through the afternoon it just added to the atmosphere.

So anyone who is getting frustrated....get out there and enjoy it!

I'm fully expecting it to be a mud fest if I go back next week though!

Posted

Personally i'm not too generally fussed that we've had milder than usual temps this October & November as the farming community aswell as animals need the respite since suffering losses for the previous 2 winters. What is slightly frustrating though is the lack of 'action' weather wise, Foggy days as seen this week are at least photogenic but for the past 8 weeks it's been nothing but 8/8 overcast skies with not even the chance of bagging in some astronomy time.

Winter is usually best after January however for the UK, when SSTs are slightly raised higher than land temps and we truly get the snow's settling in for the 2 months thereafter. Still plenty of time between now and then for that to happen, I just wish there was more active Cold Fronts or at least Inversion setups in place beforehand. Still the weather will do whatever it wants, regardless.

Posted

Fully Agree with this.

Also One line posts followed by 5 links to charts .... :diablo:

or 7 pages which goes like this

sorry mods if off topic but bla bla bla bla

bla bla bla bla no snow IMBY at xmas eve bla bla bla

Grandad said Feb 47 was bla bla bla

back on topic 'models look good'

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

No snow yet what the blabbing blooming blabbing going blabbing on :@

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

Can't remember the last time there was a good Autumn or winter storm. God damn. Someone give me a prediction or something even if its unreliable or statistical.

Cool with people moaning but people moaning about other people moaning is really the pinnacle of Forums! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Well I broke my ankle last week so have a lot of time in my hands to sit and obsess about what may/may not happen. I sat and arranged all my web page bookmarks in safari today, in the vain hope something, anything will make the gloom shift. And then I bought an arctic duvet.

I will continue to make a snow dance, consisting of hopping around on one set of crutches.

COME ON COLD!!!

Posted

It's not winter yet but I'll certainly vent my frustration at this dreadful excuse for an autumn. I thought Autumn 2006 was about as dire an autumn as you could get but I've been proven well and truly wrong this year. All the worse for following on from one of the coldest, dullest and wettest summers on record. 2011 has been so abysmal it makes years like 1998, 2002 and 2007 seem half decent by comparison.

While even the horror of December 2002 had a respite of a 3-day frosty spell in-mid month this month has been unrelenting garbage on a scale I could never imagine possible in my worst nightmares. Thoroughly unpleasant and devoid of anything remotely interesting.

It's 22nd November and I'm still waiting for the first air-frost with the real likelihood that it will end up as an unprecedented frost-free autumn. The mean minimum for the past 15-days has been a ridiculous 8.2C - what the mean maximum should be at this time of year! Never has there been a spell like this in November in over 150 years of records for this city. It's just day in day out of cloudy, mild rubbish with virtually static temperatures. Last week we suffered in excess of 2 days of almost continual darkness when the temperature varied by just 0.6C :lazy:

Today was the 10th mostly cloudy day in a row and the 14th out of 15 (total sun in the last 15 days: 12.6 hours). When the sky did clear at 3pm you'd think a cold night would be likely with plummeting temperatures but no, while it dropped from 7C to 4C pretty quickly it then stuck on that for hours and has now risen to 5.6C. So the wait for frost goes on and on. Still it was nice to see the temperature drop below 6C for the first time in nearly 10 days :wallbash:

I don't know what's worse - the lack of sun, lack of frost, lack of temperature variation or lack of anything except drizzle and gloom. Although we don't normally get much snow before mid-December, if we don't see any lying in the next 5 and a bit weeks 2011 will go down as the most snowless in history here. Just 13 days falling and 2 days lying (depths 1cm and unmeasurable trace) so far and this is supposed to be the UK's snowiest city :bad:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

euro high go away come back some other day , preferably late spring ,.let your big uncle scandi high rein supreme . let your atlantic cousins form a line and head east , preferably up the channel one week , and a little further north the next .time for my prozack , chins up gang , a good 12/14 weeks anything could happen .regards legritter .

Posted

Whats happened to Wetterzentrale?! Can't look at a chart without a car advert taking over!

or worse

it never used to have all the adverts it odes now

I understand they need adverts to pay for the site but why so many moving images?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

good post RICHARD 2901, must agree what a boring autumn ,good for heating costs etc .we just neeed some action , looks like you could get some up there . me and the wife toured scotland oct 8th / 21 st ,by car did 2200 miles from somerset and back .had virtually every type of weather ,isle of sky warm ,and blue sky and sea , wester ross magical . left thurso and travelled down to perth ,we were playing catch up with a weather front ,as we got quite high up near cairngorms we went through 5 mins of wet snow ,then rain . following morning we went to clamis castle and could see top of cairngorms covered . went to aberdeen 10 yrs ago ,what a greet country you have up there ,. for all of you out there chins up , plenty of time left for wintry fun .cheers legritter .

Posted

Whats happened to Wetterzentrale?! Can't look at a chart without a car advert taking over!

I'm pleased its not just me!

Perhaps a new thread? "Venting your frustration at wetterzentrale" :aggressive:

Posted

Oh Dear! Venting Your Frustration at a Winter that as far as I'm concerned is the coldest time of the year, it lasts for 3 months and it hasn't even started yet!

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about winter infact and I think there will be a few surprises on the way.

I feel like starting a ramp.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

It's gonna snow a foot.. !

Posted

We're gonna have..........................hmmmmm................I think we're going to have:

1. How about a White Christmas

2. A December CET of 2.8C

3. A record Breaking Big Freeze lasting from Christmas Eve until the last third of January,

4. An incredible Beasterly with a perfect Forth-Clyde Streamer

5. Coldest January ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. A superb North Easterly in Febuary.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm - Not Bad!

I Predict a............................................................BIG FREEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!