Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

You do really woffle sometimes TWS. Snow is a pain in the rectum for many reasons and what exactly are the benefits?

I recall an argument in a previous thread on snowflakes that implied that we should ignore the benefits of snow on principle because they muddy the fact that elderly people are dying of hypothermia. Any analysis that ignores benefits is always going to reach the conclusion, "where are the benefits?".

The media does that sort of thing with snow- recapping on a couple of replies that mention "having fun", some argue that "fun" is non-essential and childish and should not be used as a reason to justify something that causes problems.

I agree with Coast that we shouldn't get wound up over the weather, though I did find the near-absence of sunshine in the North East earlier in the month rather depressing. What happens during spells of weather like this is that my interest in observing it wanes somewhat, but on the other hand I am still able to get on with my life.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

You do really woffle sometimes TWS. Snow is a pain in the rectum for many reasons and what exactly are the benefits?

Somewhat rude post to TWS, Im surprised you have an opinion on this as you dont seem to have linked to the Times!

On Topic

I'll save the 'frustrated with winter' until we get to winter at least, and as it happens I dont mind this euro high for the time being as it is keeping the heating from having to go on.

Posted

Somewhat rude post to TWS, Im surprised you have an opinion on this as you dont seem to have linked to the Times!

I must admit I'm rather surprised myself, but I must admit I do sometimes voice an opinion on the weather based on complete ignorance. Mea culpa.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

we already had one, it was called the 'model output discussion'....!

lol, its all doom and gloom over there too with everyone looking at every single model output each day. I dont see the point, maybe look every 3/5 days and look for trends, its the only way to:

A: stop myself from going nuts with all of the ups and downs and FI dreams

B: Build up a realistic picture of where the Euro will end and more interesting developments unfold.

I hate it being this mild, this late in the year when for the past years we have been more used to a better setup etc, but like i said, its still 2 weeks away. Models change and trends become clearer. Relax, no point in letting this mild mush upset you....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I can understand peoples frustrations about not seeing anything cold so far this year even though i'm liking the current 'pleasantness'. Its like reaching the middle of May and not yet having a decent spell of warm weather which would frustrate me very much. Even though proper summer wont have arrived yet i still feel as though Spring should give a taster of things to come. Much like as autumn goes along it would usually provide more in the way of cold and frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

I'm as frustrated as the next person regarding this mild stuff, but I think there's 2 things going on here. First it's memories of 12 months ago and thinking 'Oh wasn't that great' and second 'There's nothing on the horizon that looks wintry'. In other words, it feels like we're painfully stuck in the here-and-now. As much I'd love a Tardis to be able to travel back to the night of 17th/18th December 2010 or the ??th of ????? 2010 or 2011, I'm going to say to myself, like others have already said, winter ain't started yet, and I've actually got a very unscientific feeling that this mild balloon we're all in is going to burst with wintry gusto sometime in December. We'll look back at this mildness and say to our snowmen 'How silly we we're thinking winter would never arrive!"

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted

We'll look back at this mildness and say to our snowmen 'How silly we we're thinking winter would never arrive!"

Let's hope so...!!!

Getting bored of this mild stuff - I think we've had 1 frost so far this side of 'summer' - not good, but let's see what mother nature has to throw at us when winter does actually get here......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

ok, so, my wife calls me and tells me she got pulled for driving while on the phone. Im no expert, but im sure this mild weather is to blame...No scientific explanation, just a gut feeling :-)

Seriously, she did get nicked....Grrr, but serves her right...money saved on heating, wasted on higher insurance..

Posted

The thing that frustrates me most at the minute aside from extremely annoyingly persistent euro high are all the TV weather presenters going "oh look how great the weather is" when in reality it's anything but at least from point of view..

If they're still saying this when we're well into December then I swear I will lose it. I don't really think it'll come to that as this pattern surely can't last forever but that said by the time we get there I probably be fuming for temperatures only being round about average although I'd gladly take that at the minute . :D

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted

The only thing that's annoying me at the moment is the absolute, total lack of any weather whatsoever.

Down here we've had the same weather for months.

No rain, no sun, no snow, no frost, no heat, no windstorms, no fog, no thunderstorms.....NOTHING! Just cloudy, breezy nothingness.

i find myself looking at the charts for as much as even fog, or for a rain 'event', this must be the most boring year in history?!!!

It does support my theory though that southern Britain has now become a continental climate as there's a total lack of any influence from the Atlantic in this part of Britain.

Posted

Here's a few for starters:

A) The simple beauty of it sometimes.

B ) Especially in areas that get seasonal snow cover, it insulates the ground below allowing some plant types to survive in that area that otherwise wouldn't, and they grow back in the spring/summer. Frost gets far deeper in the ground without snow cover.

C) The same effect above is also important to certain types of wildlife.

D) In some areas it is a major source of water/precipitation especially plants etc when it melts, and of course things like reservoirs.

E) It does of course reflect sunlight back into space moderating the earth's temperature.

F) For some people/kids it is great fun!

Of course it can also cause hardship and be a nuisance, especially in this country, and for more elderly people unfortunately. I think a major problem of ours is we are never used to it. in Scandinavia they seem to get on just fine.

As for this weather pattern, it's rather long lasting and boring IMO, although we have managed to get a bit of interest here with some rain bands and a couple clear sunny days with shallow mist in the morning.

Edited by Stormmad26
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The thing that frustrates me most at the minute aside from extremely annoyingly persistent euro high are all the TV weather presenters going "oh look how great the weather is" when in reality it's anything but at least from point of view..

If they're still saying this when we're well into December then I swear I will lose it. I don't really think it'll come to that as this pattern surely can't last forever but that said by the time we get there I probably be fuming for temperatures only being round about average although I'd gladly take that at the minute . :D

But i guess that its not right for weather presenters to revel in any weather that would cause discomfort or disruption (that does not include snow withdrawal on netweather). Therefore they take sides with the majority of the population that arent weather enthusiasts who, when questioned, would rather have mild comfortable weather at this time of the year rather than cold. I guarantee that the vast majority of non weather enthusiasts would have no problem with the weather were getting at the moment, simply because they arent that interested in extremes, and it is those people who the forecasts are primarily aimed at. Snow at Christmas might get a few more votes as it goes along with tradition.

Paul Hudson on look north last night described 13/14c as good going for November. I wouldnt seem right if he described 3/4c in the same way as it would be percieved as selfish and not representing the opinion of the majority of the public.

Posted

But i guess that its not right for weather presenters to revel in any weather that would cause discomfort or disruption (that does not include snow withdrawal on netweather). Therefore they take sides with the majority of the population that arent weather enthusiasts who, when questioned, would rather have mild comfortable weather at this time of the year rather than cold. I guarantee that the vast majority of non weather enthusiasts would have no problem with the weather were getting at the moment, simply because they arent that interested in extremes, and it is those people who the forecasts are primarily aimed at. Snow at Christmas might get a few more votes as it goes along with tradition.

Paul Hudson on look north last night described 13/14c as good going for November. I wouldnt seem right if he described 3/4c in the same way as it would be percieved as selfish and not representing the opinion of the majority of the public.

You're right of course but that still doesn't stop me from getting aggravated (well inside my head at least), i guess it's massively in no small part due to how good the previous two winters were (from a coldies perspective) which in turn has led me to this places like this forum in anticipation for the winter ahead. If it wasn't for all that then probably wouldn't be the nervous wreck I am now but oh well. :D

Posted

When it gets to later December and there is still nothing on the horizon, then I will be frustrated but as it is its no biggie. Its still november I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad. Everyone needs to remember that it is January and February where cold weather is especially likely, anything before then like in previous years is merely a bonus.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Xmas light switch on here tomorrow, still feels like mid september, most unfestive switch on ever, 6 years ago today, no snow but class inversion setup, lots of rime and a min 0f -5.1C and max of -0.5C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Winter can wait until i've moved into my new house and i've put the Christmas tree up, 12th December! Can't wait! After that it can do what it likes lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

I wish people would shut up about it being too mild or no cold in the reliable time frame. So what? That is not important at the moment, and I don't care.

One cold November, one of only three in the past 20 years, does not make November a winter month, it is still very much Autumn!!!!!!!!!

Fully Agree with this.

Also One line posts followed by 5 links to charts .... :diablo:

Posted

Xmas light switch on here tomorrow, still feels like mid september, most unfestive switch on ever, 6 years ago today, no snow but class inversion setup, lots of rime and a min 0f -5.1C and max of -0.5C

Yes in recent years we have often had a short frosty cold spell around now, 2004, 2005, 2008 and 2010 delivered such conditions. However, 2009 brought the floods two years ago today, and I am certainly happy we are not experiencing now what we did in 2009 - believe it or not it was even milder then!

Regarding this post... mmm it isn't winter yet so I am very surprised the mods have allowed such a post.. a better title would be 'frustration at current weather'. Winter rarely gets going before mid december, indeed March on average delivers far more wintry conditions than November, and early-mid April has a far higher chance of delivering favourable wintry synoptics than November. People's expectations are far too high this year.. thanks to the exceptional cold blast last November.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Sorry to start a row people, but everybody is entitled to their opinion

in my case i will give you an example

Last december one evening as i am on back shift, the boss comes along

from his nice warm office and says, offload 42 600kg bags of fertilizer off

that trailer, not in the pretty cold warehouse,but outside

yes i did have a fork lift and no there is no heater

it was minus 14 and saying no is the wrong answer

i can tell you it was pretty flaming cold, made harder by icy impacted snow

The frost as long as its not too much is quite good as it kills a lot of the bugs

but snow, no, not for me, sorry

Posted

Regarding this post... mmm it isn't winter yet so I am very surprised the mods have allowed such a post.. a better title would be 'frustration at current weather'. Winter rarely gets going before mid december, indeed March on average delivers far more wintry conditions than November, and early-mid April has a far higher chance of delivering favourable wintry synoptics than November. People's expectations are far too high this year.. thanks to the exceptional cold blast last November.

well, as people were already writing off winter before it started and constantly moaning about it in the model thread, i thought i would start this one to give people some where to moan freely, without the mods intervention (within forum rules of course) as it happens i did run it by the mods and it has been approved. after all there is a winter discussion thread and has been for some time, and as you say it's not winter yet.

rob

Posted

It's quite entertaining to read everyone's opinions right now. The weather might be as dull as ditchwater and some of the model output worse...but the discussion is as lively as ever. So i thank everyone across all weather forums for that.

For those who want to write off 2011...it ends next month so to be frank, we might as well write it off if you want...although I'm going to hang out to the last week of December for something interesting to happen. For those who want to write off 2012...we'll talk this time next year! (Jan and Feb included!)

November is a boring month in general anyway. A little bit too far away from xmas to start really noticing. Halloween and Guy Fawkes night are behind us. The stunning Autumn colours are disappearing...and before the last 2 autumns (very wet mid month 2009, very cold end of month 2010), I can't remember much of interest weatherwise during November, (one night in 2007 being the exception here in the West Midlands), Nothing to rant about yet......

......although will this thread still be available in March?......just in case.....

Not much going on in November anyway...nothing to see here...will see you in December!

Edited by Gord
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

The right to moan! it is not that exciting but its good weather for some work types where its dry mild.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Of course, weather fanatics are a minority, but I think the media regularly makes the mistake of assuming that the vast majority of the population lies at the other extreme, i.e. no interest in weather beyond whether or not it will inconvenience and/or disrupt them. Hence the way TV forecasts and tabloid weather articles are mostly tailored to those people's preferences, and dumbed down to cater for those people's absence of understanding of the weather. The reality is that those people are a minority as well, and that the majority of the population occupy varying positions in between the two extremes. The media's approach is partly self-fulfilling, as if people with a passing interest in the weather are treated as if they have none at all, it helps to perpetuate lack of both understanding and interest.

Some weather preferences, like the preference for dry sunny weather over dull wet weather, or the preference for warm over cold when all other things are equal, are indeed shared by a large majority of the population. But when it comes to things like "10C and rain is better than 5C and sunshine because at least it's mild", "temperatures above 25C are too hot", "dry cloudy weather is preferable to sunshine mixed with thunderstorms" and "following the snowy pre-Christmas, hopefully turning mild for Christmas Day", those are all views that the vast majority would share if they only cared about the "inconvenience and disruption" side of the weather, but in reality it's unlikely that a significant majority does actually share them.

Snow in particular is a pretty divisive type of weather- some hate it, some love it, some have a love-hate relationship- and it also depends on the circumstances. For instance I think the assertion that "the majority don't want a snowy winter" is more likely to be true now than two winters ago, partly due to the economic slump and partly because the last two winters dented quite a lot of people's appreciation of the white stuff.

Yes, this aspect of media portrayal of the weather does irritate me a lot, but one solution is simply not to watch too many media forecasts/articles on the weather.

• Like 2

Posted

We witnessed the turning on of the local Xmas lights at 7.30pm yesterday. Nothing remarkable in that of course, but what was remarkable was the fact I counted at least a dozen people (before I got bored) in

shorts and plenty were just wearing tee shirts - not just tee shirts and nothing else of course!!. Admittedly last years turn on was also mild, but a week later it was taters... no chance of that happening this year.