Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter emotions and moaning thread

bobbydog

Posted

to save clogging up other threads, i thought i would start this one. if you are frustrated at the models, or like to moan about the lack of cold, or the stubbornness of the euro high or anything else about the weather that winds you up at this time of year, put it in here. say what you like, nothing is 'off topic' but be aware of forum rules- no abuse or personal comments!

here's mine- i wish people would stop writing off winter before its happened! we all know the models can be frustrating and not show us what we want to see but thats what they do! we also know they can suddenly change without warning. the other side of the coin is, they can sometimes be right. we may get a mild winter but its not the end of the world! (that comes next year lol) just enjoy the weather, whatever it throws at us, and if its boring, enjoy something else!

Rob

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I wish people would shut up about it being too mild or no cold in the reliable time frame. So what? That is not important at the moment, and I don't care.

One cold November, one of only three in the past 20 years, does not make November a winter month, it is still very much Autumn!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 1

Posted

I wish people would shut up about it being too mild or no cold in the reliable time frame. So what? That is not important at the moment, and I don't care.

bloody hell that was quick!!!

Posted

I've been holding that in for a long time. http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiliz39.gif

Posted

Wheres the point in snow at this time of year, its to early, it would come and go in no time, as far as im concerned lets get into december before hoping for snow, in the mean time be grateful we havent got to spend much on gas bills.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Winter?....Damn it! I'm still waiting for the Summer 2011 to arrive!

• Like 5

Posted

Winter?....Damn it! I'm still waiting for the Summer 2011 to arrive!

where have you been for the past month? its here!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I feel people are expecting too much after last winter's early freeze, in turn leading to unecessary frustration that its currently remaining mild (noticed especially when reading the model threads etc). I do also hope for a snowy period of weather, but am willing to wait for it a bit longer!

Last year was nice for a while until each day, the filthy slush from cars driving on snowy roads refroze at night day after day because the salt was ineffective. It made getting to work (especially commuting from countryside to city) quite a challenge each day as the slush turned into a solid ice rink. http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.png I don't mind if we get a winter where we have a snowy few days, then it thaws etc and then repeats further down the line or something.

As a side note, I do however find this block from the euro high a bit dull :lazy: ...especially when we get the chilly, grey, drizzly days. Its the sort of weather at the moment where there's a chill in the air, but too warm to wear a coat. Bring on the sparkling frosty sunny autumn mornings already!

Get rid of this stubborn grey weather and i'll be slightly happier... oh also...

JUST GIVE ME SOME THUNDERSTORMS NEXT YEAR! (Sorry No Storms Club syndrome slipped out) http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.png

• Like 2

Posted

I certainly wasn't expecting another freeze-up this November.

I was however expecting a bit more in the way of chilly days and night-time frosts. This blocked southerly pattern has gone on for far too long now.

Posted

I certainly wasn't expecting another freeze-up this November.

I was however expecting a bit more in the way of chilly days and night-time frosts. This blocked southerly pattern has gone on for far too long now.

You can all keep your frosts and snow, well, a bit of frost thats good, but snow, thats the worst, a real pain in the neck

its ok for those that work in a nice warm office etc

When you have to work out in the cold and snow its a different ball game

I know the country is lacking some rain, but at least you are not freezing your crappers off

So for all the people that work outside,for this time of year this weather is great, no complaints here

Apart from some much needed rain from time to time, it can stay like this until next spring for me

Posted

Well thank god I don't work outside as I'm hoping for 10 feet of snow. :angel:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's true that for some outdoor work, snow can be a real pain, but it would be a mistake to generalise this to everyone who works outdoors. It all depends on the nature of the outdoor work and how much the individual enjoys the benefits of snow (as this always gets offset against the inconvenience and disruption that it causes), and of course there are certain outdoor jobs that depend on snow, such as those connected to the Scottish ski resorts.

• Like 3

Posted

It's true that for some outdoor work, snow can be a real pain, but it would be a mistake to generalise this to everyone who works outdoors. It all depends on the nature of the outdoor work and how much the individual enjoys the benefits of snow (as this always gets offset against the inconvenience and disruption that it causes), and of course there are certain outdoor jobs that depend on snow, such as those connected to the Scottish ski resorts.

You do really woffle sometimes TWS. Snow is a pain in the rectum for many reasons and what exactly are the benefits? Edited by weather ship

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Im sure there are plenty of people that enjoy snow and want it to fall and settle that are outdoors workers, but many do not want the snow if it would affect the work they do outside, so it would be a hard battle for that person in loving snow but not wanting it because of there work. office workers want to get home after work, so any deep snow would be a problem, then maybe if they are snow fans they would wish for it to fall at a time that they want.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

You do really woffle sometimes TWS. Snow is a pain in the rectum for many reasons and what exactly are the benefits?

This is a weather forum if you're blind as a bat, why are people so determined to bring work related discussions onto this forum for? Are you trying annoy people? Your post was also rather rude and unnecessary. Just because you're old does not mean you can talk down to people like you know any bloody better.

I will say this once, and once only, people enjoy snow, and people are allowed to enjoy snow on a weather forum regardless of the pros/cons of snow being present. Comprehend?

(okay now I think it's time for bed or else I'll say something I regret..!)

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Right all better now!

:p:crazy:

Edited by Radiating Dendrite
  • Like 2

Posted

what exactly are the benefits?

You are right of course, from many aspects it can be tiresome. But to millions of kids, families and individuals it is a cause of great excitement and fun and it gets us outside actually doing something in the Winter!

I'm not getting depressed about it's late (or non) arrival this year though. Remember, we can't influence or control the weather, we can only have a go at guessing what, when and where any of it might be happening.

Like the season, we all need to chill!! :D

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

How can we have a frustration at winter thread. Did I miss something, I thought it was still Autumn? Yea im frustrated at the Euro high....maybe you should have called it that....

At least we should be looking at getting down to single digit maxima's, which is a little more seasonal. But just to vent at the Euro high...

ARRRGHHHHHHHHH!!!

Im Morethan Freeman. Thank you. For listening

Posted

You do really woffle sometimes TWS. Snow is a pain in the rectum for many reasons and what exactly are the benefits?

One of the benefits is it put's a smile on people's faces as you see them outside building snowmen, sledging and having snowball fights. I believe it's what they call having fun, although i think some people are adverse to having fun no doubt.

Edited by No balls like Snow Balls
  • Like 1

Posted

Euro highs are in late autumn about as fun as kidney failure for cold watchers like myself but hopefully it will take a powder soon

my bones of contention are

1. People writing off a whole month before it has started, saw that as far back as the 12th of November for the month of December...jesus

2. these bloody things :good: after another crappy Euro-high dominated chart, gloating when having a minority view does not make you popular

3. The conditions we have experienced this novemer in the UK. Pretty awful :bad: only redeemed by not too much rain. Dont mind the odd indian summer type warm couple of days in November but a whole month is way too much of a 'good' thing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I need to vent my frustration at the absence of either cold or raging Atlantic. Obviously the latter is much more common at this time of year but we've had neither! It's this midway rubbish I can't take, especially being in the southeast.

Posted

How can we have a frustration at winter thread. Did I miss something, I thought it was still Autumn?

we already had one, it was called the 'model output discussion'....!