Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Fi Eye Candy

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Let's see the best FI Eye Candy that the GFS and ECM can come up with over the coming months and save it for posterity.

Don't clog up the model thread up with charts that are highly unlikely to verify - put them in here. All charts post T+180 are welcome.

I'll start the ball rolling:

12Z GFS T+360

post-4523-0-08565600-1321387291_thumb.pn

post-4523-0-31065900-1321387302_thumb.pn

Posted

Good idea for a thread,could do with some eye candy at the moment.

Just rolling back to last year,and very occasionally FI can be quite close to the mark!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Deep FI on this mornings 00z is cold and shows for a second day a ridge in the Atlantic, developing GL High, trough over us/ NW europe and a beefy LP cell draggin down the colder air. Not potent cold but would be nice if this continues or remerges towards or in the reliable.

gfsnh-0-348.png?0

Even if we had to bank on Topplers for our cold this winter I'm still confident my area will see some decent snowfall at somepoint through winter and this is despite the reliable time frame of the late runs making me downbeat. Tbh I cant remember a totally snowless winter in this part of Oldham where I've lived for 32 yrs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Deep FI on this mornings 00z is cold and shows for a second day a ridge in the Atlantic, developing GL High, trough over us/ NW europe and a beefy LP cell draggin down the colder air. Not potent cold but would be nice if this continues or remerges towards or in the reliable.

post-7292-0-78292200-1321525070_thumb.pn

Even if we had to bank on Topplers for our cold this winter I'm still confident my area will see some decent snowfall at somepoint through winter and this is despite the reliable time frame of the late runs making me downbeat. Tbh I cant remember a totally snowless winter in this part of Oldham where I've lived for 32 yrs.

Thats the chart I spied this morning also - welcome to December !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Thats the chart I spied this morning also - welcome to December !

Drooling over that bit of FI teasing us haha! :drinks:

h500slp.png

Quite enjoying this one also.

Edited by MadSnowboarder

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Very good idea for a thread. Will hopefully help clean up the main MOD thread too.

Just a thought Chiono, do you think you could possibly edit your original post to ask people to include 850hPa temperatures too if possible? It's always a little frustrating looking back at posted charts and not having a clue what the cold pooling is like and if it is actually as good as the pressure makes it out to be; the colours associated with the heights often mislead people into thinking they are a direct translation to temperature.

Posted

Very good idea for a thread. Will hopefully help clean up the main MOD thread too.

Just a thought Chiono, do you think you could possibly edit your original post to ask people to include 850hPa temperatures too if possible? It's always a little frustrating looking back at posted charts and not having a clue what the cold pooling is like and if it is actually as good as the pressure makes it out to be; the colours associated with the heights often mislead people into thinking they are a direct translation to temperature.

I agree with the 850's but can no longer edit my first post!

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

h500slp.png

uksnowrisk.png

The latest GFS Beauts!

The gfs chart kind of reminds me of the short cold spell we had at the end of Nov 2009

post-6445-0-29316600-1321721993_thumb.gi

Edited by sundog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

With lp that close, uppers wouldn't deliver snow below 500m. Uppers are -3c/-4c at their coldest on that frame I think.

True, thicknesses and due points away from the Scottish mountains wouldn't be consudive either but... lets get the chill factor going first, snow will come later. Max temps on that GFS run this morning for the north of the midlands showed 1 day where temps get to 7 or 8c and lows of -1c. Most days struggling to get above 5c away from the coasts and the far south & east of the country, so would defo feel nippy for most according to the 00z GFS (T84 through to the end of the run which finished on a slack easterly flow).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Another nice one for Christmas Day!

cfs-0-744_kil5.png

cfs-2-744_ryu7.png

Posted

I'm dreaming of a.... :smilz38:

Xmas.jpg

To be honest, this isn't even a particularly good chart as far as extreme FI eye candy goes. Complete lack of heights to our north. Not sure what the cold pooling over the UK would be like either...

Edited by Kentish Kiwi

Posted

Desperation states KK!1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

KK is correct, while it is nice on the face of it the flow does not lend itself to significantly cold air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Posted · Hidden by feb1991blizzard, November 27, 2011 - GFS updated thus rendering the chart unremarkable
Hidden by feb1991blizzard, November 27, 2011 - GFS updated thus rendering the chart unremarkable
Posted

Only one place where this has to go and its this thread. Wow:

http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20111127/18/189/ukmaxtemp.png

http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20111127/18/189/h500slp.png

http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20111127/18/189/h850t850eu.png

http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20111127/18/189/6hrprecip.png

http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20111127/18/189/prectypeuktopo.png Probably snow over high ground or to low levels at times.

But wow, the biggest snow storm ever. I would love this to happen! It is rare to get a perfect synoptic like this, to get snow, with a low tracking south of the uk and bring all that precipitation and wind, along with cold temperatures and cold uppers for snow.