Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

November 2011: Repeat Of 2010 Or 2009? You Choose!

November 2011  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How do you expect November 2011 to turn out temperature wise?

• Very Mild - With some temperatures into the mid to high teens and little frost.
    • Quite Mild - Overall some mild temperatures although there will be some colder spells.
    • Average - Normal with frost and some mild periods.
    • Quite Cold - Overall a cold month with some notable cold spells in and amongst milder periods.
    • Very Cold - A repeat of the 2010 big freeze with record breaking temperatures.
  2. 2. What Will Be the Overall pattern of the Month?

• Driven an active jet stream and atlantic throughout the entire month.
    • Very Stormy
    • Sunny and settled with some frosts
    • Very cold and snowy
    • Very mild with some unsettled weather.
    • A mixture of mild, cold, sunny, rainy, windy, snowy
    • Snowier and colder than average
    • Very average
    • Frosty and foggy
    • Very Varied
  3. 3. How many snowfalls will there be (Nationwide)?

4. 4. Will There be a spell or an entire month of endless rain and some floods.

5. 5. Will there be another widespread severe cold spell?

Posted

November is now coming up - a usually typical autumnal month with some large rainfalls, strong winds, frosts, quiter periods and snow. With one or two forecasters hinting at a severe cold spell this November some people are expecting a repeat of 2010. However as we all know, November is a month of contrasts and many types and periods of weather can happen during this time.

What Do You Think?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

November 2009 and November 2010 were both heaven for me.

Posted

I'd like to think that this November will be something like last year but to be honest at the moment there is no sign that that may happen. Cold spells often suddenly appear but continental temperatures have got to fall considerably and I have a nagging feeling that any real cold will not show it's face until December at the earliest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I think we are heading for a very unsettled November and much more typical for the UK with average to perhaps above average temps. With a high chance that the first half will produce some very stormy and wet weather with a risk of some extreme weather courtesy of active Atlantic depressions.

I have a feeling it may be some time before we have a cold spell to rival that of last year, it was very exceptional. Anyone expecting a repeat of last year I think will be bitterly disapointed, but you just never know what will be thrown at the UK over the coming months.

It may be December before we see much in the way of decent cold near the UK.

Posted

'It may be December before we see much in the way of decent cold near the UK.'

Isn't that how it should be anyway?

Posted

maybe, but the question was, will it be like 2010 or 2009. liam's statement was a reasonable one to make, considering predicted weather patterns.

Posted

Ideally for me yes or even later into winter like Jan/Feb which is when it has traditionally arrived in the uk in winters gone of the past, the weather has no set rules so it will happen when it happens.

Let's not forget theres a few people on here who are looking to November for an early return to winter but the chances of that look very slim atm.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I'm personally hoping for a November 2009 - much more seasonal, 4 thunderstorms (in Bristol, not here in the southeast) and largely Atlantic dominated. If the following winter can ensue, that would be perfect.

Posted

Yeah I'm leaning towards a November 2009 too, even though it was mild, it was very wet and stormy.

Posted

Well I certrainly don't want a repeat in the rainfall amounts seen over Cumbria on the 19/20th November 2009, we all know what happend then!! Major disaster after upwards of 300mm of rain fell in 24 hours which set a new UK record for 24 hours of rainfall accumulated. I remember I was sent home from work early after the Meto issued extreme red warnings.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

ATM it looks like a repeat of the bitter conditions at the end of last nov looks unlikely . I reckon a wet and mostly mild month this yr.

Posted

Nobody wants a repeat of what happened in Cumbria, but I haven't had a good dollop of rain since.. well.. er.. November 2009!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I anticipate a wet month, particularly in the north and west as high pressure will be close to the south east when we see the mean sea level pressure for the month as a whole. I do expect lows to give occasional topplers however so not as warm as October.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Mild and gales possibly stormy for some, mountain snow north, very wet and thundery at times, then towards end of month a cold and a risk of cold snowy northly then north easterly although not like last year i dont expect..thats reserved for dec

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Here is a reminder of how wet November 2009 was for everyone, and the last proper above average month here

27c09e019dde409a820fd50.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Here is a reminder of how wet November 2009 was for everyone, and the last proper above average month here

27c09e019dde409a820fd50.png

Interesting to see that my region was the most average of any region in the country! certainly remember it being wet and very windy, maybe the wettest since october 2000.

Posted

I've gone for a typical wet and windy month. I prefer my cold and snow to set in around mid Dec.

So more like Nov 09 than 10 but without the severe flooding thanks!

Mmmm a much more toned down version of Nov 2009 would be ok, really wouldn't want to see the same amounts of rain occur it was a terrible month for Cumbria - I am always wary of early cold snowy set ups in November - I don't think of them as a good precursor for the winter as a whole. However,a quieter anticylonic cold spell mid-late month is always welcomed preferably with fog. What has happened to fog in autumn nowadays it seems a distant memory.

Last November apart from the last 10 days was very benign in the main and very mild.

I would like a Nov similiar to 2005 or 2008, both saw notable cold spells with some shortlived snow from northerlies, but not as exceptional as last year which felt very abnormal and almost too good too soon - as it turned out despite the excellent december, conditions after christmas were non-descript with one day of snowfall.

I do enjoy November for many reasons, however, it can be a very miserable month weatherwise - with endless dull wet dark weather, months like Nov 1997 and 1994 spring to mind - don't want to see any repeat of those conditions thank you very much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

Mmmm a much more toned down version of Nov 2009 would be ok, really wouldn't want to see the same amounts of rain occur it was a terrible month for Cumbria - I am always wary of early cold snowy set ups in November - I don't think of them as a good precursor for the winter as a whole. However,a quieter anticylonic cold spell mid-late month is always welcomed preferably with fog. What has happened to fog in autumn nowadays it seems a distant memory.

Last November apart from the last 10 days was very benign in the main and very mild.

I would like a Nov similiar to 2005 or 2008, both saw notable cold spells with some shortlived snow from northerlies, but not as exceptional as last year which felt very abnormal and almost too good too soon - as it turned out despite the excellent december, conditions after christmas were non-descript with one day of snowfall.

I do enjoy November for many reasons, however, it can be a very miserable month weatherwise - with endless dull wet dark weather, months like Nov 1997 and 1994 spring to mind - don't want to see any repeat of those conditions thank you very much.

November can be a miserable month,my fav weather type for Nov is frosty weather, the second half of Nov 2005 i found enjoyable which had plenty of frost. Last Novembers very cold spell did feel a bit too much too soon and felt kind of surrel. There was some cold weather at the end of Nov 2009 with some frost and fog,i almost had an ice day on the 30th of the month that yr.

If in November the ducks do slide, the rest of Winter be slush and muck, which was true last Winter (apart from December)

November 2009 was mild and that lead to an all round cold Winter, so I would prefer 2009, just without the exceptional rainfall, which doesn't look likely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

If in November the ducks do slide, the rest of Winter be slush and muck, which was true last Winter (apart from December)

November 2009 was mild and that lead to an all round cold Winter, so I would prefer 2009, just without the exceptional rainfall, which doesn't look likely.

No, it wasn't true. Winter was roughly 1.5c below average in the cet zone. We had the second coldest December ever. If you think that is slush and muck - well then...

Posted

I don't think the 'Ice in November to bear a duck' saying has been proven yet.. we need a proper cold November to test it out.. rather then a November with a cold final week.

Edited by Aaron