Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Temperature And Frost Watch -19th To 20th Of October 2011

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Also looking at the table of temperatures that Paul just posted, what strikes me most is the drop in Manchester AP and Benson, although these stations proved last winter just how fast they can drop! I'm sure Manchester airport was 4C just an hour ago.. must be getting the 'Woodford effect'.

I think it's plausible that Benson and Woodford could hit -4C by dawn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Currently 6.4 degrees here according the MetO. A rise of 0.4 from the update beforehand at the Ballykelly station. The Eglinton/Derry station on NOAA hasn't been updated since 6:20pm and then it was 8 degrees with a dew point of 4 degrees. Looks like I'm out of the frost game tonight sad.png

Are you Frostyjoe?

Absolutely, Woodford seems to plummet quite alot in these conditions, there is never specific timing, but when it does plummet, it can drop 2-3 degrees in as little as an hour. Hawarden is another station that gets this, although tonight it's probably too close to the northwesterly flow to get a frost.

Ironically, this seems to have just happened at Manchester airport. Another frost hollow.

You beat me to it. :)

Remember last winter? Manchester Airport -12C, Liverpool airport -3C. Wow.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

How I yearn to live in a frost hollow..

Leeds is annoying, one of the coolest dewpoints in the country but the temperature is still holding up.

Not surprising as the airport is on top of a hill allowing cool air to drain away.

Although it is a cold location because of altitude, it rarely gets the extreme minima experienced in some low lying areas of northern England.

Edited by Interitus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Are you Frostyjoe?

Ironically, this seems to have just happened at Manchester airport. Another frost hollow.

You beat me to it. smile.png

Remember last winter? Manchester Airport -12C, Liverpool airport -3C. Wow.

I do remember it well, then again, Crosby was shown up as being an unlikely frost hollow with their -18C. Also perhaps even more surprisingly Southport getting -15C was a bit of an eye opener.

Posted

For what it's worth. The GFS is actually bang on for once.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I was always a bit wary of Crosby.. with it being right on the coast. The weather in this country is really odd sometimes!

Posted

It was colder at 3.30pm on Monday afternoon (3.5ºC) than it is now (4.0ºC). Expecting city centre temp of around 1.0ºC by dawn here.

Posted

I do remember it well, then again, Crosby was shown up as being an unlikely frost hollow with their -18C. Also perhaps even more surprisingly Southport getting -15C was a bit of an eye opener.

Didn't the sea freeze at some point in Crosby or am I getting that mixed up with the marina? Staggering though, -18C right next to the Mersey/sea.

Posted

Evening all,

Currently 3.7ºc here (dew point of 3.6ºc). Was 4.9ºc at 21:40

Last nights low was 3.6ºc.

The Manchester airport temperature dropped 4c in 30 mins, the breeze dropped in strength and backed from the west to southwest -

SA 19/10/2011 20:50-> METAR COR EGCC 192050Z 22003KT 9999 FEW038 01/M01 Q1023 NOSIG=
SA 19/10/2011 20:20-> METAR COR EGCC 192020Z 26005G15KT 230V310 9999 FEW038 05/M00 Q1023 NOSIG=

Edited by Interitus

Posted

Nope, I'm not smile.png

Oh okay, my bad. :p

Posted

People tend to roll their eyes when it comes to the issue of micoclimates, but I live literally about 3 miles away from Woodford (as the crow flies) with Whaley Moor standing in the way. This Pennine 'barrier' gives us not only sheltered westerlies but also provides the valley here with orographic friction..if that's the right definition..which can lift temperatures up by some couple of degree's compared to Cheshire plain only a few miles away.

Posted

The Manchester airport temperature dropped 4c in 30 mins, the breeze dropped in strength and backed from the west to southwest -

SA 19/10/2011 20:50-> METAR COR EGCC 192050Z 22003KT 9999 FEW038 01/M01 Q1023 NOSIG= SA 19/10/2011 20:20-> METAR COR EGCC 192020Z 26005G15KT 230V310 9999 FEW038 05/M00 Q1023 NOSIG=

Simply amazing. Then again have you been to Manchester airport? It's extremely open and rural.

I've seen the station too, it's just off the public footpaths.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Time for bed for me now and I will be anxiously hoping that when I wake up I will see a frost outside my window.biggrin.png

Bit worried currently though as I have just checked my weather station and it shows a 13mph wind and a temperature only at 6.1C!

Posted

I was also wary of Crosby, but then I took a visit to the station, and it's wedged right behind a line of high sand dunes, the station is actually on the lower flatter sand flats behind the the sand dunes. On a clear night, given it is on sand, it's not surprising it fell to -18C. The sand dunes are fairly wide, you're talking about 150-200m wide, which is enough to afford shelter to the site.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

It seems that perhaps surprisingly England has stolen Scotland thunder tonight with a large area of places below OC in Cumbria.

I was also wary of Crosby, but then I took a visit to the station, and it's wedged right behind a line of high sand dunes, the station is actually on the lower flatter sand flats behind the the sand dunes. On a clear night, given it is on sand, it's not surprising it fell to -18C. The sand dunes are fairly wide, you're talking about 150-200m wide, which is enough to afford shelter to the site.

What difference would sand make in comparison to normal dirt.

Posted

It seems that perhaps surprisingly England has stolen Scotland thunder tonight with a large area of places below OC in Cumbria.

Sand absorbs and loses heat much faster than normal dirt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Sandy soils loose their heat very quickly, where as dark soils hold the heat longer.

Posted

Well sand doesn't really hold any moisture, plus it is very porous, so of course it loses heat very quickly in the evening. Normal dirt, or even clay holds moisture better because of the small particulate size of the soil, and therefore it can hold heat better.

Cold nights are down to the ground losing heat so, as you can imagine, sand loses heat much more readily and more than moist soil.

However, given how dry some of the southern counties are at the moment, I imagine the dry soil could act in a similar way to sand tonight.

Posted

Leeds-Bradford back down to 1C and Manchester back up to 2C so the fight for the city airport minima continues.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=current;type=mint

Well sand doesn't really hold any moisture, plus it is very porous, so of course it loses heat very quickly in the evening. Normal dirt, or even clay holds moisture better because of the small particulate size of the soil, and therefore it can hold heat better.

Cold nights are down to the ground losing heat so, as you can imagine, sand loses heat much more readily and more than moist soil.

Maybe i should move to the Highlands and create a sand garden, i could have a frost everyday.