Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wimblettben

Temperature And Frost Watch -19th To 20th Of October 2011

241 posts in this topic

Stalling at 2.1c for 6 minutes now sad.png

Urrr 20 minutes. No ground frost either! Grrr, we better not bottom out here.

And yes GTLTW, perfect weather.

Here is a link to my weather station in Aberdeenshire

http://www.wundergro...p?ID=IABERDEE47

Hi connlach,

If I were you, I would also place the link in your profile. The footer bit I mean, guys help me. help.gif is that what it's called? The bit that shows my Blog and tells everybody, what a geek I am. rofl.gif

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Hi connlach,

If I were you, I would also place the link in your profile. The footer bit I mean, guys help me. help.gif is that what it's called? The bit that shows my Blog and tells everybody, what a geek I am. rofl.gif

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

The signature? fool.gif

1 person likes this

No cloud, no wind, no nothing. Why is it stalling like so?

A breeze, an inversion, surroundings. Many factors that can cause it to stall.

Only an inversion possible there.

Just went to 2.0c but is now 2.1c again, grrr.

No cloud, no wind, no nothing. Why is it stalling like so?

A positive multiplier effect means that when a thread is active, it spurs other people to post making it more active which in turn carries on. This is the reason that the more interesting thread, is not always the more active one.

As for your temperature it is very likely the dewpoint so you must be drawing moisture from somewhere unless your topography is letting you down (are you on the western/northern side of a decent hill).

Saint Andrews and Edinburgh all have dew points of -1C now while Dundee is at 1C, so you may start dropping if the wind shifts.

Spadeadam, Eskdalemuir, Drumalbin and Altnaharra are all at 2C, so these may get their first.

Hi connlach,

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Thanks for the advice!

1 person likes this

An inversion would help him unless he is high up.

Xcweather reports that his wind direction turned more northerly from being westerly which could be drawing moisture from somewhere.

A positive multiplier effect means that when a thread is active, it spurs other people to post making it more active which in turn carries on. This is the reason that the more interesting thread, is not always the more active one.

As for your temperature it is very likely the dewpoint so you must be drawing moisture from somewhere unless your topography is letting you down (are you on the western/northern side of a decent hill).

Saint Andrews and Edinburgh all have dew points of -1C now while Dundee is at 1C, so you may start dropping if the wind shifts.

Spadeadam, Eskdalemuir, Drumalbin and Altnaharra are all at 2C, so these may get their first.

Humidity has risen by just 1% since 7pm? We are to the east of the higher areas (reaches 300m+ in Consett nearby), but generally it's equal land. Dew point is -1C.

Temp 2.7c here and falling quickly.

Currently 5.7c dew 0c

Humidity has risen by just 1% since 7pm? We are to the east of the higher areas (reaches 300m+ in Consett nearby), but generally it's equal land. Dew point is -1C.

Your dewpoint has definitely dropped since 19:20 then (assuming the Dundee station on xcweather is close to you here).

I would suggest that your temperature will start dropping off again then before nights end.

Your dewpoint has definitely dropped since 19:20 then (assuming the Dundee station on xcweather is close to you here).

I would suggest that your temperature will start dropping off again then before nights end.

It has fell to 2.0c again, but it should rise again imo. Should I lay ice against my grass and patio to get a ground frost?!

1.9c, let me turn this frown upside down and say sorry for bothering y'all!

It has fell to 2.0c again, but it should rise again imo. Should I lay ice against my grass and patio to get a ground frost?!

1.9c, let me turn this frown upside down and say sorry for bothering y'all!

Why would it rise?

Excelent news..

Wahay! I think I'm winning with 1.5 at the moment. If the air stays calm looks like a good chance of a decent frost in the early hours.

edit 1.3 now

Newcastle now down to 2C as well.

Come on you users reading (18 is good), anybody from Newcastle with a report?

Wahay! I think I'm winning with 1.5 at the moment. If the air stays calm looks like a good chance of a decent frost in the early hours.

Yes you are.

I am actually surprised that Shap is still at 4C and Leeds seems to be doing well compared to the surrounding areas.

Leeds Bradford seems to be stalling or not updating.. the centre of Leeds is at 5c which is pretty good for an urban location.

Leeds Bradford seems to be stalling or not updating.. the centre of Leeds is at 5c which is pretty good for an urban location.

I just go by the Leeds-Bradford observation when i refer to Leeds, the station updates at 50 minutes past the hour.

http://weather.noaa....ther/GB_cc.html

Good site for airports and official stations.

It's 2.0c now. Very dry air shouldn't help ground frost chances. Temperatures are much more stable now. Hoping for a drop, but becoming less likely. Anything lower than 1c and I would quite pleased.

Going to have a shower in a moment, hopefully some time away from glaring at the ws will help it fall!

EDIT: 2.1c, boo. Bye for a bit.

6.4C. A 1C drop in 30 minutes. Now we're talking! :)

1.7c here now. Good considering Im in South Wales but live on a hill in a rural area so not surprising. Wonder if I'l get below 0c tonight.

Leeds must update every 30 minutes. At 20:20 it is now down to 2C.

Eskdalmiur is now at 1C.

• Similar Content

• By Deep Snow please
      Seen a lot of discussion about a torpedo in the model thread and frankly don't understand:
      What is it? What weather wild it bring? When is it? How can we be so sure this far out?
    • By Deep Snow please
      There might already be a thread for this, but figured it'd be good to have one in the winter forum.

What do you want from winter - (1st December to 28th February official, looking a little longer this year if things go to plan).

Do you want a mild, wet winter or a cold and snowy winter, or something different. What snow depth do you want, if realistic pressures like having to get to work weren't a barrier, what temperatures do you want?

I'll start:

Snow depths: 120cm by Christmas, 240cm-360cm by February
      Temperatures: Record of -25C maximum by day and -35C minimum by night
      Icicle counts: Should occur regularly and be anything up to 3ft in length
      Snow drifts: Good 10ft or so
      Maximum Windspeed: Around 150mph
      Ice Days: At least 40
      Frosts: Every day from Dec to Feb

• By Mark Bayley
      I am enrolled at UNIS,Svalbard, studying Arctic glaciers till September. I am hoping to keep this blog updated with details of what I am up to and pictures. So far I am limited to Longyearbyen, having not received gun training, but next week will start with fieldwork. The weather has so far been sunny, and rather warm, reaching a high of 15c yesterday. The constant light is taking some getting use too! I'll be visiting a local glacier on Thursday, where I hope to update!
    • By Skullzrulerz
      Good Evening to you all.

As the Warm/Hot Spell is ending as we speak or has ended depending on where you are the cool spell slowly taking over the UK with unsettled weather as it main force.

Your opinions/thoughts on the spell/period.

Please also be respectful of other users opinions as well...
    • By Ross Andrew Hemphill
      There may already be a thread for this so lock this if that's the case....

Met Office weather warnings have been issued for much of the country for heavy, frequent snow showers from tomorrow morning.

Warning map:

Here is the latest output from the models:

850hpa Temps:

Precipitation Type:

Very interesting spell of weather coming up very soon, lets all keep everyone informed of what's happening across the country.