Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

19th October 2011 Weather And General Chat

Dorsetbred

Posted

Topped out at 8.2º earlier on and is now 6.7º under bright blue skies and looking good for the first air frost since May 4th. Got fairly close last night with the min being 1.3º.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Topped out at 8.2º earlier on and is now 6.7º under bright blue skies and looking good for the first air frost since May 4th. Got fairly close last night with the min being 1.3º.

Less likely on the poorer side of the pennines, currently 7.5c with a dew point of -0.7c. Should get a ground frost but milder air should banish that ground frost by dawn.

Hi-res NMM (very accurate as per) gives us 0c from 2am to 7am, but I feel it is underestimating the milder breeze from the w/sw as the night goes on. Uppers fall from -5c now to -2c at dawn, i'd imagine if uppers remained stable, then an air frost would have been very likely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Less likely on the poorer side of the pennines, currently 7.5c with a dew point of -0.7c. Should get a ground frost but milder air should banish that ground frost by dawn.

Hi-res NMM (very accurate as per) gives us 0c from 2am to 7am, but I feel it is underestimating the milder breeze from the w/sw as the night goes on. Uppers fall from -5c now to -2c at dawn, i'd imagine if uppers remained stable, then an air frost would have been very likely.

Uppers don't always determine the how cold the temperatures go at night.

A max of 12.9C, only very briefly as the sun came out, and I think that's a couple of degrees too high.

Anyway, varied cloud here atm, wind chill is really cold, it almost hurts when it hits you!

It's 8.6C, probably will drop to 4 or 5C, too much cloud around and too much of a breeze for anything remotely frosty. sad.png

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Our local weather are determined that an air frost will take place.. somewhere.. more than likely in the Vale of York.

Posted

Uppers don't always determine the how cold the temperatures go at night.

A max of 12.9C, only very briefly as the sun came out, and I think that's a couple of degrees too high.

Anyway, varied cloud here atm, wind chill is really cold, it almost hurts when it hits you!

It's 8.6C, probably will drop to 4 or 5C, too much cloud around and too much of a breeze for anything remotely frosty. sad.png

Yeah, but I do think there will be milder surface air moving in. Hopefully the incoming hp will take a breeze away, and hopefully the uppers don't fall so much. I'm expecting a clear night again.

Falling quicker now, 6.8c, but yesterday it pretty much stabilised at this time until falling around midnight - so hope is there. Yesterday evening was quite frustrating for a frost wanter like me:

1743 - 8.6c

1830 - 7.8c (roughly 1c/per hour fall)

1934 - 7.6c (roughly 0.2c/per hour)

2258 - 7.3c (roughly 0.1c/per hour)

Quite rubbish really, hope for something better this evening - cloud to the w about 2/8 oktas, and at observation overhead, about 2/8 oktas also.

6.1c now. Dropping, dropping, dropping - first ground frost 50/50 i'd say right now.

5.9c hehe!

Edited by Isolated Frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Pressure 1018.7hPa

Temp 9.6c

Max Temp 11.4c

Min Temp 7.8c

Humidity 77%

Dewpoint 5.6c

Rainfall 1.5mm

Monthly Rainfall 12.4mm

Posted

Yeah, but I do think there will be milder surface air moving in. Hopefully the incoming hp will take a breeze away, and hopefully the uppers don't fall so much. I'm expecting a clear night again.

Falling quicker now, 6.8c, but yesterday it pretty much stabilised at this time until falling around midnight - so hope is there. Yesterday evening was quite frustrating for a frost wanter like me:

1743 - 8.6c

1830 - 7.8c (roughly 1c/per hour fall)

1934 - 7.6c (roughly 0.2c/per hour)

2258 - 7.3c (roughly 0.1c/per hour)

Quite rubbish really, hope for something better this evening - cloud to the w about 2/8 oktas, and at observation overhead, about 2/8 oktas also.

6.1c now. Dropping, dropping, dropping - first ground frost 50/50 i'd say right now.

5.9c hehe!

In this situation I would of thought we could discount the uppers affecting the minima we get tonight.

We've got high pressure moving in which hopefully should help to peg back the cloud and bring the wind down. Also as the sun's heating has gone, convection should be minimal. Ground frost odds on for you.

It's 8.1C here, so not favourable for me at all. Although the sky has cleared considerably in the last 30 minutes.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

A cool, rather windy and showery night and day. Plenty of rain and hail showers, heavy at times, especially during the night and this morning. but mostly short-lived. Plenty of rainbows too!

Clear/ sunny intervals between times. Moderate to fresh NW wind.

Min: 3.6c @ 0700

Max: 10.5c @ 1230

Rain yesterday: 7.6mm

Rain since 10am today: 2.5mm approx

Currently: Clear spells, showers in the vicinity, very cool.

Temp: 4.8c

RH: 89%

Pressure: 1023mbar, rising slowly.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Very interesting night ahead imo. Dewpoints very close to zero, air temperature falling rapidly, -5C uppers over my head, showers feeding in?

Hmm, wonder if it could sleet at this rate. Snow is pretty much out of the question, sleet isn't I'd say?

Shame we don't have the thickness!

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Cold start with a hint of ground frost; sunny until mid afternoon when we had a couple of heavy showers and the temperature dropped from 13 deg C to 8 in just over an hour. Maximum 13.4, minimum 3.1. Wind moderate W.

Posted

7.4C. Hmm. It's possible....... Ground frost please?

Posted

1.9º. Sorry!

2.4c, I'm not letting you go that easy. And anyway, you're closer to the cloud ;)

1.9º. Sorry!

Wait, your site says 2.9c, I assume what you posted was an error?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Currently 10.8C in Cork city, maximum today of 12.8C and minimum of 7.3C.

Posted

1.9º. Sorry!

According to your site, it's 3.6C, I assume you have hit a bank of cloud?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Apart from one or two pitifully light and brief showers it's been a dry day with long sunny periods. Grass min' already down to -0.9c.

At 1800 g.m.t;

Temp', 3.9c

Max' today, 8.2c

Min' last night, 4.3c

Grass min', 1.5c

Rainfall from 0800-1800 g.m.t, trace

Sunshine today, 6.51 hrs

Mean wind speed, 11 mph W

Highest gust today, 42 mph W at 0208 and 1505 g.m.t

1 okta Cu

Vis', over 80 km.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Current Conditions: Cold right now and mostly clear after a sunshine and shower sort of day. We had a heavy hail shower in the afternoon but now I am hoping that the temperature at least gets to freezing tonight!

Daytime summary:

Max temp: 15.1C

Max wind: 25mph

Direction: NNW

Min humidity: 49%

Pressure: 1025.6hpa-Rising slowly

Tendency: Sunny

Cloud type: Ocassional cumulus, ocassional cumilonimbus