Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2011/12 - General Discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I was cheated in December 2010, after the 3rd, little to no snow fell, it was very cold, River Aire froze, but it was dry, but very sunny.

I think I'm being a bit too critical of December 2010 though, here's the snow somewhere else in Leeds, the inner city I think, for an urban heat island it's pretty impressive I think!

inthesnow.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.
The most amazing thing to me is that I've only had 2 days of falling and settling snow this year, with 3 days of lying snow, and a maximum depth of 2.5cm -

Gosh, you're lucky. We didn't even get that. O Cm. of lying snow December right through until the end of February. A couple of brief snow showers in December, and last Saturday. dreadful. .

this year has been truly pathetic for snow, but what a contrast to last winter! After this winter I think I'd even be happy with just a few inches next year! :lazy:

I'm glad somebody from central England agrees with me !

Edited by Peter H

Posted

It all depends where you live. I got 15cm this month all in one day which is not common, and it lasted for 8 days.. overall a poor winter but the first 11 days of February were below average with a mean of -1c so it's not terrible like some previous winters i.e 07/08

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

06/07 had a max. depth of 2cm, and 07/08 had a max. depth of 2.5cm, but that's about as bad as it gets here. 3 out of the last 6 winters have been virtually snowless, which is unprecedented. 2 out of the last 6 have been severely cold and snowy though. 07/08 was bearable as I saw 10cm in the Lakes at Easter.

Lowland Northern Ireland getting 0cm is probably about the same chance as Newcastle only getting 2.5cm.

No point in getting down about it though, I'd find it far worse if it was 31st August and there had been no thunder yet.

Edited by Alza 2

Posted

sorry sebastian - this was an ironic reply by me to peter H. it would get lost in translation between dutch and english !! its a phrase taken from a satirical magazine over here. i had no doubt of the validity of the figure you posted.

:good:

I think the only way we can get cold from the continent in this current setup is a SE'ly, and I really don't want that as it'll be dull and dry and cold like the last cold spell.

So you think the only way we can get cold is from the SE this time of year and that a SE'ly off a cold continent would be dull, sorry but you are completely wrong on both accounts, ask anyone on here SE'lys off a cold continent like just two weeks ago on Saturday Feb 11th brought the loveliest clearest blue skies ive seen in years and years. also the further into the second half of March/April you get you need winds more north of east than south of east for the real cold or from a cold northerly direction.

Posted

So you think the only way we can get cold is from the SE this time of year and that a SE'ly off a cold continent would be dull, sorry but you are completely wrong on both accounts, ask anyone on here SE'lys off a cold continent like just two weeks ago on Saturday Feb 11th brought the loveliest clearest blue skies ive seen in years and years. also the further into the second half of March/April you get you need winds more north of east than south of east for the real cold or from a cold northerly direction.

I was saying that cold from the continent would come from the SE rather than E, and that would certainly be dull rather than snowy in the NE thanks to the North Sea. Rather than looking towards the continent for cold now I think we should look N, and our best chance would be the NW at the moment I think.

Hang on, didn't I post that in the other thread?

Edited by Alza 2

Posted

Surprisingly we have managed a deeper fall of snow this winter compared to last winter - a difference an inch only, but surprising all the same. Last winter the deepest fall was on the morning of the 4th Dec when we managed just about 4 inches. This winter we managed 5 inches on the 4th Feb. But depths aren't everything and the number of days with snow falling this winter has been very low - I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a snowflake in the sky at low level here. Those days being 5th Dec, 10th Dec, 4th and 5th Feb and 10th Feb. I was away during the 15-18th Dec when I think we saw some snow on the 15th and 16th. Number of mornings with snow cover has been rather low, but I've known many winters with fewer mornings, the total being 9, we had a run of 8 mornings between 4-12th Feb.

January as a whole has been the most dissapointing month, with no snow falling and only a handful of decent frost mid month. I'd rate Feb and Dec as preety similiar, the first half of Dec was interesting with gales heavy rain and heavy snow on the fells with some decent frosts culminating in the cold sunny weekend of the 17/18th Dec, however, the period 19-31st dec was abnormally mild and very dull - downright miserable. Feb had a very decent first 12 days with sub zero means, snow and hard frosts, however, since the 13th Feb it has been a mild snooze fest - what looked like a very promising month quickly went down the pan in a major way!

Overall a dissapointing winter for snow, and dissapointing for severe cold weather, dissapointing for interesting weather apart from the early gales in december and the freezing rain event on the 8th Feb, but not half as bad as winters 06/07 and 07/08 which were persistantly mild and dull. Hoping winter 12/13 provides more interesting winter events with more snow, and definately more polar/arctic blasts, not one decent northerly this winter - very dissapointing.

Posted

Surprisingly we have managed a deeper fall of snow this winter compared to last winter - a difference an inch only, but surprising all the same. Last winter the deepest fall was on the morning of the 4th Dec when we managed just about 4 inches. This winter we managed 5 inches on the 4th Feb. But depths aren't everything and the number of days with snow falling this winter has been very low - I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a snowflake in the sky at low level here. Those days being 5th Dec, 10th Dec, 4th and 5th Feb and 10th Feb. I was away during the 15-18th Dec when I think we saw some snow on the 15th and 16th. Number of mornings with snow cover has been rather low, but I've known many winters with fewer mornings, the total being 9, we had a run of 8 mornings between 4-12th Feb.

January as a whole has been the most dissapointing month, with no snow falling and only a handful of decent frost mid month. I'd rate Feb and Dec as preety similiar, the first half of Dec was interesting with gales heavy rain and heavy snow on the fells with some decent frosts culminating in the cold sunny weekend of the 17/18th Dec, however, the period 19-31st dec was abnormally mild and very dull - downright miserable. Feb had a very decent first 12 days with sub zero means, snow and hard frosts, however, since the 13th Feb it has been a mild snooze fest - what looked like a very promising month quickly went down the pan in a major way!

Overall a dissapointing winter for snow, and dissapointing for severe cold weather, dissapointing for interesting weather apart from the early gales in december and the freezing rain event on the 8th Feb, but not half as bad as winters 06/07 and 07/08 which were persistantly mild and dull. Hoping winter 12/13 provides more interesting winter events with more snow, and definately more polar/arctic blasts, not one decent northerly this winter - very dissapointing.

There was a light dusting of snow left near Penrith in the mourning of the 18th December, so there must have been some snow in the days beforehand.

Edit: that should be morning not mourning lol, can't highlight the right word on my phone though.

Edited by Alza 2

Posted

There was a light dusting of snow left near Penrith in the mourning of the 18th December, so there must have been some snow in the days beforehand.

Edit: that should be morning not mourning lol, can't highlight the right word on my phone though.

Thanks for the post - I was in Newcastle between 15th-18th and experienced some heavy snow on the 16th whilst walking along hadrians wall - I suspect Windermere caught some snow showers on the 16th which if they had settled would have stuck around in sheltered spots on the 17th and 18th. Returning on the 19th I was greeted by fog and cold temps of 3 degrees , but temps quickly rose later in the day thanks to a front bringing heavy rain. I do know conditions on the fells over the weekend on the 17th/18th were superb with deep powder snow blue skies light winds and sub zero temps.

Indeed whether a statistical quirk - but many of our weekends this winter have seen very good conditions for getting out and about - coinciding with our coldest and sunniest and driest weather. The only dull wet weekends this winter occured on the 24/25th Dec (typical..), 31st dec - 1 Jan (typical..), 7/8th Jan.

The weekends of the 17/18 Dec, 13/14 Jan, 28/29 Jan, 18/19 Feb brought dry sunny cold conditions with blue skies and light winds. Weekend 3/4 Dec, 4/5 Feb brought harsh winter snowy conditions.

Best weekend for cold snowy conditions on the fells overall probably the 28/29 Jan - just beating 17/18 Dec thanks to deeper snow. Overall best weekend 13/14 Jan with hard frost and beautiful clear skies - and very easy walking conditions thanks to no snow on the tops.

Posted

Thanks for the post - I was in Newcastle between 15th-18th and experienced some heavy snow on the 16th whilst walking along hadrians wall - I suspect Windermere caught some snow showers on the 16th which if they had settled would have stuck around in sheltered spots on the 17th and 18th. Returning on the 19th I was greeted by fog and cold temps of 3 degrees , but temps quickly rose later in the day thanks to a front bringing heavy rain. I do know conditions on the fells over the weekend on the 17th/18th were superb with deep powder snow blue skies light winds and sub zero temps.

Indeed whether a statistical quirk - but many of our weekends this winter have seen very good conditions for getting out and about - coinciding with our coldest and sunniest and driest weather. The only dull wet weekends this winter occured on the 24/25th Dec (typical..), 31st dec - 1 Jan (typical..), 7/8th Jan.

The weekends of the 17/18 Dec, 13/14 Jan, 28/29 Jan, 18/19 Feb brought dry sunny cold conditions with blue skies and light winds. Weekend 3/4 Dec, 4/5 Feb brought harsh winter snowy conditions.

Best weekend for cold snowy conditions on the fells overall probably the 28/29 Jan - just beating 17/18 Dec thanks to deeper snow. Overall best weekend 13/14 Jan with hard frost and beautiful clear skies - and very easy walking conditions thanks to no snow on the tops.

The 18th was a great day walking up Helvellyn - I'd guess there was about 30cm on the way up, but not much on the top as it was blown off. The week running up to Christmas was a bit naff though as you say. Unfortunately I haven't been over to the Lakes much since Christmas, but I should be over there next weekend :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There was some moderate to heavy snow in Cleadon on the morning of the 16th December, which gave about three centimetres on the ground, but subsequent hail and sleet showers shaved a fair amount off the snow cover and the subsequent frost turned it to solid ice. However, >50% snow cover survived on the 17th and 18th.

Here, too, the winter has been most unusual for the low number of days with sleet/snow falling- 4 days in December (not far from the long-term average) but then 2 in January and 1 in February. The 3 days of snow lying with a max depth of 3cm is also notable, but the winter quarters of 1997/98, 1999/00 and 2007/08 each had only 1 day of snow lying by Met Office rules and in 1997/98 and 2007/08 the maximum depth was less than a centimetre.

The 1999/00 season ranked as the most snowless here in a record going back to 1993, as the near-snowless winters of 1997/98 and 2007/08 were both partially offset by snowy episodes during March and April, while March/April 2000 both produced just two days with snow falling, none of which accumulated on the ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.
but not half as bad as winters 06/07 and 07/08 which were persistantly mild and dull

For want of repeating myself, this winter has been as bad, if not worse than 06/07 and 07/08 in this part of the UK. Really, really dreadful and not at all like winter. NI had it's mildest Christmas day since records began. The mildness over the whole of February, and the fact that people are already cutting their grass along with all the spring flowers fully in bloom really just about sums winter 2011/12 up.

The met office are now saying March is goulg to deliver much of the same. Even much of Europe, including Scandanavie, has turned very mild. I'm sure the Ski resorts must be suffering.

Horrible day, dull and overcast with some light patchy rainfall, once pressure builds from mid week the cloud should clear to leave nice days and cool nights, signal for things to turn colder and showery from the weekend with some wintry showers possible and cold frosty nights early next week :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Quite an interesting page on bbc news today on tha arctic ice cover and its relationship with our weather in the winter months

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17143269

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

for me living in the se this winter has no way been as bad as previous winters. I call a rubbish winter as being snowless and, for me, this winter has not been snowless at all - i received 19-20cm of snow from two snow events beginning of feb and had a week of snowcover and two weeks of exceptionally cold temps.

i remember plenty of winters where i have watched the models and chased an elusive snowflake from dec-march and never got one - those are the truly rubbish winters and there have been plenty of them. Winter 2011/12 at least delivered snow for me. compared to the last couple of winters, it has been poor, but in the grand scheme of things i've seen much worse!

Posted

as we approach the end of feb, i thought it might be worth reviewing the mean temps for several cities across the 'mild' european coninent:

LYON 0

VIENNA -3

SOFIA -4

MILAN 2

PARIS 1

FRANKFURT -1

ROME 5

ATHENS 8

COPENHAGEN -1

LONDON 4

MADRID 4

BELFAST 6

hardly balmy and yes Peter, we can see that n ireland is only eclipsed in that list by athens although i am surprised having read most of your posts !!

Well the cold spell next week is looking very short lived before the mild weather makes a swift return in the form of mild south westerlies.

It would be good if you actually bothered to check the ensembles which actually show the chance of HP over us retrogressing northwestwards, could get 5 colder days next week out of this hardly very short lived, please look at other solutions apart from mild all the time as JP182 says change the record.

Posted

yep typical downgrade, we always get the same old boring synoptics like this

http://modeles.meteo...gfs-0-162.png?6

and not like this

http://modeles.meteo...s-5-1-192.png?6

Posted

Indeed.. the past 10 days here have been categorised by day after day of stratocumulus with the odd break now and again giving 5 seconds of sunshine.. this is the most dull weather imaginable, there's really no interest in this!

Posted

Indeed.. the past 10 days here have been categorised by day after day of stratocumulus with the odd break now and again giving 5 seconds of sunshine.. this is the most dull weather imaginable, there's really no interest in this!

That is what we get most days of the year here, it is either mild grey or cold grey, hardly ever rains and we don't get much sun

it has been yet another dry winter here, summer seems to be our wettest season in recent years, though not that wet really compared to scotland or the NW

Edited by Snowy Easterly

Posted

That is what we get most days of the year here, it is either mild grey or cold grey, hardly ever rains and we don't get much sun

it has been yet another dry winter here, summer seems to be our wettest season in recent years, though not that wet really compared to scotland or the NW

It's not correct to generalise Scotland as a whole as being wet. The west is wet but most eastern parts are considerably drier than a lot of England.

Posted

Yeah, Edinburgh is one of the driest cities in the UK believe it or not!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Well final stats for winter 2011/2012 are;

Maximum temperature

16.0°C - Recorded on 28/02/12

Minimum temperature

-5.5°C - Recorded on 07/02/12

December Rain Fall

42mm

17.2mm Below average

January Rain Fall

27mm