Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your Perfect Synoptic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

A stalling front against a block giving a lot of snow but with this case you have a very cold pool of air undercutting it so guaranteeing snow and dry snow at that.

Rrea00119081229.gif

Rrea00219081229.gif

The depth of that cold stacked up against the encroaching LP is VERY impressive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

archives-1978-12-31-0-0.png

Massive blizzard that delivered ~2 feet of snow here.

Drifts of 10 feet too.

Woooooow! That is heaven! Incredible looking chart. Would presonally love to see something exactly like that in my life-time. :O

Posted
You cannot generalize what the weather was like from a synoptic chart like the one I posted, as you are liable to be wrong, like you were.

Yes, one is liable to be wrong when you don't make it clear that you weren't living in your current location!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yes, one is liable to be wrong when you don't make it clear that you weren't living in your current location!

LOL!

Some incredible charts around this forum. Also, may I just say Buxton seems to be a breeding ground for 'mildies'- seen a fair number on this forum and on TWO with regularly inflammatory posts from that area who ended up being banned under various monickers. Coincidence I wonder??

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

archives-1978-2-19-0-0.png

Another big blizzard in 1978 that also dumped ~2 feet of snow in places.

yep this was an absolute corker!!!

Posted

LOL what? That chart didn't produce drizzle anywhere in the UK so he'd have been incorrect even if I had been living in Buxton then.

But your post states that the set up produced wet conditions in Western Scotland, might of been a little bit of drizzle in Northern Ireland two then... That chart you did post seems a classic NW/SE split chart thats for sure.

Surprised no one appeared to post the Feb 1991 charts, that easterly looks a classic in terms of its length especially when the unstable air came into play, would drool over such a chart if it ever appears on the models this winter! Feb 2005 is one I would drool over if there is more of a potent cold pool and that always made me believe we can still get the classic set up these days, we just need a potent cold pool!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

But your post states that the set up produced wet conditions in Western Scotland, might of been a little bit of drizzle in Northern Ireland two then... That chart you did post seems a classic NW/SE split chart thats for sure.

Surprised no one appeared to post the Feb 1991 charts, that easterly looks a classic in terms of its length especially when the unstable air came into play, would drool over such a chart if it ever appears on the models this winter! Feb 2005 is one I would drool over if there is more of a potent cold pool and that always made me believe we can still get the classic set up these days, we just need a potent cold pool!

Rrea00119910207.gif

Can i have some more please?!

Are there events that are on anything like the scale of a nor'easterly that sometimes occur in the US, where a vast area can be covered in snow over a foot deep?

No.

Basically - the low pressure systems are so intense over there. The very cold arctic air with a similar proximity to us, and a very warm stream of air from the gulf of mexico/tropical atlantic area. It's like our battleground situations x10.

Their lake-effect snow is amazing as generally Canada is a very cold airmass and locks in more cold air than the far north atlantic/norwegian sea around us, but the lakes still have extremely warm air from generally hot summers - so the difference in temperature is so large, moisture/convection at it's perfect level.

If we saw a boiling summer with warm, humid southerlies going into the N Sea practically all summer (N sea could potentially rise to 20c/22c in this scenario), and a lot of cold pooling in Siberia from a generally cooler summer - then one onslaught in Nov/Dec of -15c uppers and generally 15c sst's could deliver up to 2ft in 24 hours round here basically - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake-effect_snow, look at the formation part of that webpage - very informative.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
Posted · Hidden by Liam J, October 13, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by Liam J, October 13, 2011 - No reason given

Rrea00119910207.gif

No.

Basically - the low pressure systems are so intense over there. The very cold arctic air with a similar proximity to us, and a very warm stream of air from the gulf of mexico/tropical atlantic area. It's like our battleground situations x10.

:)

Their lake-effect snow is amazing as generally Canada is a very cold airmass and locks in more cold air than the far north atlantic/norwegian sea around us, but the lakes still have extremely warm air from generally hot summers - so the difference in temperature is so large, moisture/convection at it's perfect level.

If we saw a boiling summer with warm, humid southerlies going into the N Sea practically all summer (N sea could potentially rise to 20c/22c in this scenario), and a lot of cold pooling in Siberia from a generally cooler summer - then one onslaught in Nov/Dec of -15c uppers and generally 15c sst's could deliver up to 2ft in 24 hours round here basically - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake-effect_snow, look at the formation part of that webpage - very informative.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Rrea00119910207.gif

font]

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

this from the good old days of Cheshire Gap snow delivering, had 3 days in a row of convective snow 3rd 4th and 5th,

http://wetterzentral...00120030204.gif

was a great 3 days, although northerly toppled on thursday 6th, and turned mild from the Atlantic,

Cheshire Gap snow not really delivering anymore here

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Are there events that are on anything like the scale of a nor'easterly that sometimes occur in the US, where a vast area can be covered in snow over a foot deep?

No, while we can get the moisture and lows the same strength, the UK is effectively at the wrong side of Europe to experience such events.

Basically in the USA, the scenario pulls down cold, dry air which hits warm, wet air. In the UK we get cold moist air generally compared to the USA pushing against an already fairly cool continent.

That said, localized streamers can produce a lot of snow much more similar to the lake effect snow as opposed to the monster fronts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

No.

Thats not quite true..it does and it can happen in the UK..I think the Feb 1978 blizzard is a classic example of this..i have never witnessed anything in Canada that has matched this personally.

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted

The 31st December 1978 one that has been posted a few times has to be one of the top winter charts for me. May find some more to post later.

About the NE USA - we can get stalled battleground fronts though very occasionally giving feet of snow and famous blizzards in places, though maybe not as widespread or frequent. In fact I think I've read a record low level (below 1000 feet or something) snowfall for the UK was recorded on the edge of Dartmoor of nearly 2 meters!

(Edit: I see cheeky_monkey has mentioned these events before me)

This must also have been 'interesting' in the north!

blink.png Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

The 31st December 1978 one that has been posted a few times has to be one of the top winter charts for me. May find some more to post later.

About the NE USA - we can get stalled battleground fronts though very occasionally giving feet of snow and famous blizzards in places, though maybe not as widespread or frequent. In fact I think I've read a record low level (below 1000 feet or something) snowfall for the UK was recorded on the edge of Dartmoor of nearly 2 meters!

(Edit: I see cheeky_monkey has mentioned these events before me)

This must also have been 'interesting' in the north!

blink.png

I would never get snow off that nowadays, looks like a snowfest for high levels only in the south? all levels for Scotland and north

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Careful what you wish for, I have relatives in New Hampshire and they regularly get >50cm snow in Winter, followed by very dangerous freezing rain!

Posted

I would never get snow off that nowadays, looks like a snowfest for high levels only in the south? all levels for Scotland and north

Same here I'd never expect anything more than rain and hail showers here. I was posting that for the depth of the low as much as the snow in the north - and the combination of snow and 100mph winds!

Imagine if this easterly hadn't slipped south as quick and was more directed at us for longer:

http://www.wetterzen...00219560201.gif

http://www.wetterzen...00119560201.gif

http://www.wetterzen...00219560202.gif

http://www.wetterzen...00119560202.gif

Thinking about it does anyone have a source of min temps for that period with a slack HP ridge over us and uppers below -15C?

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

my last white new year, snowed very lightly much of the day, with snow on ground from 30th and 31st

http://wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1997/Rrea00119970101.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Same here I'd never expect anything more than rain and hail showers here. I was posting that for the depth of the low as much as the snow in the north - and the combination of snow and 100mph winds!

Imagine if this easterly hadn't slipped south as quick and was more directed at us for longer:

http://www.wetterzen...00219560201.gif

http://www.wetterzen...00119560201.gif

http://www.wetterzen...00219560202.gif

http://www.wetterzen...00119560202.gif

Thinking about it does anyone have a source of min temps for that period with a slack HP ridge over us and uppers below -15C?

RAF Woodbridge fell to -9.2c on the morning of the 3rd. RAF Bentwaters Royal didn't pass -5.3c on the 1st. RAF Fairford fell to -9.8c on the 2nd. RAF Lakenheath fell to -12c on the 2nd. RAF Upper Heyford only managed -5.3c on the 1st and fell to -9.2c on the 1st and 2nd.

Regarding last new year snowfalls, the last one here was in 2010:

Rrea00120100101.gif

Delivered 3 inches.

Posted

RAF Woodbridge fell to -9.2c on the morning of the 3rd. RAF Bentwaters Royal didn't pass -5.3c on the 1st. RAF Fairford fell to -9.8c on the 2nd. RAF Lakenheath fell to -12c on the 2nd. RAF Upper Heyford only managed -5.3c on the 1st and fell to -9.2c on the 1st and 2nd.

Regarding last new year snowfalls, the last one here was in 2010:

Rrea00120100101.gif

Delivered 3 inches.

I remember that one, here was dry and sunny, turned less cold on Sat 2nd Jan, very heavy wet snow arriving from the NW, elevation too low, I reckon Leek or Flash (425m asl) would have had a dumping