Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your Dream Day Of Winter

Posted

Winter weather could be arriving to our shores within the next two months and I feel it is ideal to start a thread that gets people fired up for what this winter has to give.

Your Dream Day of Winter could be a day you have lived and want to relive it or a day that you would have loved to have experienced. Or you can combine all of your knowledge about winter weather together and make a completley amazing day.

The weather you choose could be anything from the tranquility of a crisp, sunny day to raging storms with powerful winds, swelling seas and lashing rain and a incredible blizzard to a record breaking cold day (or a bit of everything).

The format of your dream 24 hours of winter weather should be done as a weather forecast; review; observation/report and if you have any links or archives to enhance your forecast would be good.

I'm still yet to come up with a definitive dream day however I have ideas including:

Crystal clear and bitterly cold nights, nights with snow showers and clear skies, fantastic sunny, cold morning with the odd snow flurry, blizzard at lunchtime and afternoon, freezing and sunny afternoon and evening after snowy morning, fantastic sunset after streamers, evening blizzard, very snowy evening and night after sunny and showery day, nightime snowstorm...

Looking forward to hear your dream winter day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Well it is October.. the first frost is nearly upon us...

and could be here by the end of next week.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

morning-clear,freezing fog,frost on everything.

midday-cloud arrives wind picks up,fog disperses.

afternoon-light snow,strong blustery wind.

evening-blizzard,winds in excess of 30mph withy heavy ,drifting snow continuing untill12 the next day.

Edited by greybing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

-

Unseasonable mild weather with high pressure directly south in late February, temperature finally reaches 20°C across the south of England under clear skies.

Sound's perfect to me, and with the day's slowly getting longer to around 6pm the warmth would be felt longer into the night.

msp_thumbup.gif

Dreams Dreams Dreams.

Posted

I would love to experience 15C+ and sunshine in December or January. I believe this may have happened once relatively recently- January 1991? I know the temperatures were high but I'm not sure if there was sunshine. The warm spell of February 2008 was a dream come true for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I would love to experience 15C+ and sunshine in December or January. I believe this may have happened once relatively recently- January 1991? I know the temperatures were high but I'm not sure if there was sunshine. The warm spell of February 2008 was a dream come true for me.

Here is the records for December, January and February for;

England

December

11 December 1994 17.7°C Penkridge (Staffordshire) And 2 December 1985 Chivenor (Devon)

January

17.6°C 27 January 2003 Eynsford (Kent)

February

19.7°C 13th February 1998 Greenwich Observatory (London)

Wales

December

18.0 °C 18 December 1972 Aber (Gwynedd)

January

18.3 °C 10 January 1971 and 27 January 1958, Aber (Gwynedd) - both dates

February

18.6 °C 23 February 1990, Velindre (Powys)

Scotland

December

18.3°C 2 December 1948, Achnashellach (Highland)

January

18.3°C 26 January 2003 Aboyne (Aberdeenshire) and Inchmarlo (Kincardineshire)

February

17.9°C 22 February 1897 Aberdeen

Edited by Gavin D

Posted

As long as the vile Atlantic is kept at bay and the wind is in the north and east I don't really care.

Funnily enough, despite February 2008 being really mild, we still have some snow. Oh the joys of living in one of the snowiest parts of the country..wink.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I agree that the number of winter threads is rather excessive at present.

As for the initial question, it would have to have sunshine and snow showers and towering cumulonimbus cells, with a bout of thundersnow at some point, with at least three inches of snow on the ground.

However, I certainly wouldn't say no to a repeat of that anticyclonic spell of the 8th-20th February 2008 that a few others have mentioned- I thought that really was something special.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

My perfect winter's day?

I wake up to a heavy overnight snowfall which continues all day long and into evening with no temperature rise and no thawing.

Then perfect day no 2 follows this.

After the previous days heavy snowfall a perfect cloudless ice day with no thawing.

c

Posted

The 7th December 2010 was an ideal day.

5 inches of snow fell overnight ( total depth 8 inches ) and had drifted in places to 2 feet deep, at sunrise, the sun never appeared as it was blocked out by a thick sheet of cirrocumulus type cloud to the south, meaning it never got the chance to warm the air or the snow, and with clear skies above, it stayed bitterly cold all day, maximum temperature was -1.4c, then the temp dropped away very rapidly to -12c, with the following day the 8th maxing at -6c

Edited by rjd1000

Posted

my perfect winter's day? any day of december 1879 especially the 10th december when temp was Minus 23c in Paris ( night time that is).The coldest month never recorded.i think the max was -8c for several days .

Would like one day but not the entire month as december 1879 was cold the entire month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

oh i would love +12c driving wind and rain..what bliss that would be..im sick of endless cold and snow month on end.

Posted

oh i would love +12c driving wind and rain..what bliss that would be..im sick of endless cold and snow month on end.

i'll trade you cold and snow month on end for driving wind and rain for month on end.. and we'll see which one is worse!

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

My perfect winter's day?

I wake up to a heavy overnight snowfall which continues all day long and into evening with no temperature rise and no thawing.

Then perfect day no 2 follows this.

After the previous days heavy snowfall a perfect cloudless ice day with no thawing.

c

I have just realised that my perfect winters day is never going to happen.

As if I would have gone to sleep knowing that snow was forecast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Agree with some other posters... we do have enough winter threads on the go at the moment. With two months still till the season begins lets keep it to the existing threads.

Closing this one now but do please post your dream day of winter thoughts in the other threads! p.s. my dream winter day involves somewhere like Barbados ;)