Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North Sea Arctic Easterlies

Isolated Frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Hi there! :)

I'm currently quite intrigued at a synoptic situation that would deliver cold Arctic air to Britain with a LP system in the N Sea, with it's northern periphery giving easterly winds and in turn heavy snowfalls for Eastern areas? Are there any synoptic charts that give this situation?

If anyone needs me to elaborate, I'm willing to do so, It's a perfect synoptic scenario imo!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

North sea lows are something we are always looking out for in Winter on our regional thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_low

They do not tend to chart as they hang to the west coast of Norway before spiralling South and also appear at too short a range.

Round about this chart last year was just a quality blast of easterly wind that almost delivered lake effect downfalls on east coast ( if you can consider the North Sea a lake).http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2010/Rrea00120101127.gif

Posted

Perhaps February 1991 is one that matches your description which seems the perfect Easterly set up you can get really, would love to experience that to be honest. Search on Wetterzentrale between the 8th-10th Feb and you know what I mean!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Something like this? (I take it that you do mean Arctic sourced air and not Siberian)

post-4523-0-49775200-1317245113_thumb.gi

Mind you it is the preceding events that were important.

Posted

Lorenzo - Did I get a 'finger' of snow that moved into the east coast during that chart? :)

Geordiesnow - Yes a very potent event that looked like.

Chionomaniac, yes preferably arctic air, but the previous posts have definitely raised some interest. I'd mainly presumed that during Scandi/Siberian HP, lp would be in the Bay of Biscay, Italy or the Channel - I love the 27 Nov chart, but the 6 Jan one is something more want I'm looking at.

Thanks for the replies, will be researching into them more!

Posted

Round about this chart last year was just a quality blast of easterly wind that almost delivered lake effect downfalls on east coast ( if you can consider the North Sea a lake).http://www.wetterzen...00120101127.gif

I remember that very well. A very shortlived snowfall but boy did that system dump a lot of snow. Within moments of snowing everything was covered in white with thundersnow and strong winds. A very intense snowfall indeed and I'm hoping for something like that again.

Posted
Posted

Tricky, but you managed to find some real stunners - thanks Mr.Data!

I'd love something like the Feb 17 55' synoptic this winter - cold steaming northerlies giving snowy showers to the North and West, after a cold front gave a few inches to the South, and it's a pristine clear day, as a LP system moves across the North Sea, and we get cold NE/ENE winds during the night depositing loads to the east coast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I remember that very well. A very shortlived snowfall but boy did that system dump a lot of snow. Within moments of snowing everything was covered in white with thundersnow and strong winds. A very intense snowfall indeed and I'm hoping for something like that again.

Yes.. the late night/early morning of the 26th/27th was a great snowfall..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The November 1893 one looks pretty marginal (perhaps snowstorms inland and sleet/rain near the east coast?) but the January 1897 one looks absolutely amazing. Some great examples there, taking advantage of Wetterzentrale's extension of its archive pre-1948.

Posted

I'm very impressed you have access to your local synoptic charts from over 100 years ago. I am quite jealous, what a blast!

I sometimes head down to the city library and go thru the local newspaper archives, and check out the old Australian weather charts from way back if theres a date Im curious about, or just to kill some time. This is the only method availble in which to do it.

I'm often amazed, as I'm sure you guys are, at the regularity of perfect system allignments that have produced significant weather in the past.

For example, the southern Australian winter in modern times has been characterised by more dominant high pressure ridging, with lows no longer trajecting as far north from Antarctic waters. It wasn't uncommon to see cold fronts punching up as far north as Queensland. This has prevented in most cases, very cold snowy air, or wintry storms, pushing up over the continent. The winter patterns look as if they have changed the most. Spring has also lost the traditional windy westerly flow ( the "Roaring 40's" as they are known, the usual westerly belt of wind between intense lows just to the south and intense highs to the north.

Posted

Styx my man - type in wetterzentrale.de, click on kartenarchiv near the top of the page and you have access to records from 1871 to now, with 850hpa and of course pressure charts - brilliant stuff!