Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold And Snow During Bonfire Night And Halloween?

A Winter's Tale

Posted

Has anyone here seen snow or frosty weather during these days or have there been years with remarkably cold temperatures and even snowfall.

I recall snow falling in some parts of the UK in late October 2008, but did any of it stay on ground or fell from the sky during that Halloween.

Posted

I certainly remember it being quite cold one bonfire night, was probably some frost the morning afterwards. I think the snowfall you're referring to was gone in a day or two and was long gone by Halloween. Would be nice to see some snow on Halloween though, but it would probably be the wrong weather for such a festival.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I remember sleety snow in Cleadon at a Bonfire Night party on the 5th November 1991, but none others. The nearest subsequent approach was on the 8th/9th November 2001.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Yes, we had snow the 5th of November 1998.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

I remember Bonfire night as being a cold affair. However the few year shave been damp and mild.

The last one I went to was peeing it down!

I swear they used to be cold , clear and frosty..

Maybe this year aye!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

I recall 5th Novembers in my childhood as being cold.....but that possibly says more about me standing around outside for hours waiting for a Catherine Wheel to do its thing. Nevertheless I do for some reason remember the bonfire nights in the 80s as cold.......and I remember there being fog most years too. That was in the West Midlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Don't know whether it's my memory playing up but I seem to recall at least two or three occasions when i was growing up, late 60's/early 70's when we had snow on the ground up to and over Bonfire Night.I certainly remember one occasion when the stacked bonfire was thick with snow when lit after which it just gave of lots of steam. I certainly can't recall a Bonfire Night in recent years with snow on the ground though.

As regards October snow, we had around 3-4 inches of wet snow in late October 2000 and I remember snow on the ground earlier in the month around both 1983 and 1992 although can't be sure exactly.

It amazes me how far we've come in recent winters that we're talking about October Snow when not many years ago we'd have been comparing memories from the occasional White Christmas we remember as a child. Now these are as common as in a Dickens film.

Posted

I think Bonfire Night 1985 was a notably cold one for many. Nov 5th 1980 brought snowfalls to southern parts. Halloween tends to often be a stormy unsettled night, and on occasions notably mild - the last week of october is often very stormy and unsettled, but things tend to settle down a bit by bonfire night..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I don't remember frosty cool Bonfire nights - maybe the odd cooler one but mostly mild and dry. Halloween is a windy affair usually - nor mild or cool - very halloweeny!

Last halloween we had winds blowing in from the N Sea due to lp system being placed in s England - so we got a low cloud affair, which made everything appear foggy and brilliant for Halloween.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I can remember snow on Bonfire day, sometime back in the late 1960s. It didn't lie though...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

we had a snowy bonfire night in 1998 as well.

Posted

I think I remember a bonfire night or two a few years ago that were frosty over night at least by the next morning?

One time we went to a friends for fireworks and it was clear and cold with fog patches forming and I wondered if these were helped by the smoke from the fireworks etc.

I'm sure I remember a couple bonfire nights or Halloween's around 2004/5/6 that had high pressure over us with frosty nights - at least by morning.

I can't remember any snow though being too young.

Posted

Last year's bonfire night had the potential to see snowfall in lower parts of the Peak District. However upon waking the day after it was evident only the higher peaks actually accumulated anything, and even this barely a 'dusting' of snow across the higher peaks.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I think I remember a bonfire night or two a few years ago that were frosty over night at least by the next morning?

One time we went to a friends for fireworks and it was clear and cold with fog patches forming and I wondered if these were helped by the smoke from the fireworks etc.

I'm sure I remember a couple bonfire nights or Halloween's around 2004/5/6 that had high pressure over us with frosty nights - at least by morning.

I can't remember any snow though being too young.

Halloween 2005 was a cold clear night and 2006 was similar i think. Halloween 2008 was a very cold and frosty night. Halloween 2009 at my location we had some torrential downpours with some thunderstorm activity.

Posted

Halloween 2005 was a cold clear night and 2006 was similar i think. Halloween 2008 was a very cold and frosty night. Halloween 2009 at my location we had some torrential downpours with some thunderstorm activity.

Ah thanks for that. smile.png I thought there were some frosty ones around that time. Just had a look at a local site and bonfire night 2006 also looked cool and a bit frosty.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

Ah thanks for that. smile.png I thought there were some frosty ones around that time. Just had a look at a local site and bonfire night 2006 also looked cool and a bit frosty.

Halloween 2005 was a case of some rain i think during the day that had cleared before nightfall followed by clear skies and slack winds. 2006 was down to HP,i think early Nov 2006 was the coldest part of that autumn.

Posted

Halloween 2005 was a case of some rain i think during the day that had cleared before nightfall followed by clear skies and slack winds. 2006 was down to HP,i think early Nov 2006 was the coldest part of that autumn.

Yes the first week of Nov 2006 brought plenty of sunny frosty weather with a high overhead, however, things rapidly became very mild and the rest of the month was devoid of much frost.

Don't recall halloween 2005 or bonfire night 2005.

2000 brought quite alot of chilly air around late october and into november. Late Oct 98 was also quite cold with some frosty nights. I do like the period around halloween, there is a sudden change in the feel of things as we quickly switch to 'winter dark nights' and the chances of frost and mountain snowfall increase rapidly. It can be a wonderful time of year for dramatic swings in the weather, from stormy wet mild conditions, to cold clear blue skies with frosty nights and the first peppering of snow on the fells. It is also when my thoughts turn firmly to winter.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Since I have been alive I have never known or seen snow falling at that time of the year including snow which has settled. Most of the time the weather either seems to be mild with drizzle to light rain or cold, clear and frosty.