Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

October CET

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Not dry here, almost 6 inches of rain and counting!

Indeed, very warm nights, even the few cold nights did not feel that cold!

Only a couple of days failed to reach average too.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

The nights have been incredibly warm this autumn, this October is only around 1C colder than June which is remarkable with now how shorter the days are

I won't be surprised if the cool down from the summer mean CET minimum to both the October and autumn 2011 mean minimum CET is the smallest on record. The whole summer 2011 mean CET minimum was one of the coldest on record. In contrast autumn 2011 must be one of the warmest on record for mean minimum at least.

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted

The warm October in Britain has even been mentioned on Australian ABC TV news bulletins.

A brief reference to the high anomolies superimposed on a map, straight after the NE USA snow story.

Posted

I am not suggesting that the start to October was not spectacular or that it has not been a very warm month however in terms of the weather for 25 days of the month, it has not been notable.

The opening of October was brilliant but one explanation why this October for me hasn't been that special is when you look at Philip Eden's sunshine figures for NW England, just 62%. The 1st of October was extremely sunny here, so that takes up a small % of that 62%, so a pretty dull October here.

http://www.climate-uk.com/page2.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The issue I have with regional summaries like Philip Eden's is that there is so much variability in one region. For example our region (NW England) might just have the most varied climate you could imagine. For example we got alot more sun that would be suggested being on the coast, I would say probably below average but more like 80% than 62%. Then of course temperatures where much higher along the coast than they were inland with an anomaly of +3C in places. I think the inland areas must have had relatively low anomalies this October for the stats to come out as such.

I found October to be warm, not particularly sunny, and there was not a great frequency of wet weather but what was totalled the average.

Posted

Climate UK's national summary of the month is as follows:-

CET: (Oct 1-31): 12.65°C (+2.25 degC)

E&W Rain: (Oct 1-31): 64.9mm ( 68 per cent)

E&W Sun: (Oct 1-31): 122.0hr (109 per cent)

© Philip Eden (If you wish to use or copy these figures, please acknowledge the source)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I notice Hadley has October as 12.6C in the rankings

12.6C in the finalised data too.

Posted

A final October value of 12.6C means we now only require November to be 7.8C for this Autumn to be the second warmest in the CET series.

November would have to be record-breaking at 10.3C for it to be the warmest Autumn. Extremely unlikely but still possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

No chance of a below average October. It's going to be very warm, finishing a few degrees above average.

12.7C.

Could I have been any closer?

Lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Here's a link to the October summary for Ireland by Met Eireann if anyone's interested

http://www.met.ie/Me...le/oct11sum.pdf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Close but no cigar Backtrack, well done anyway lad, certainly much better than my 11.2c or whatever it was I put lol.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

October is my favourite month. However this last one which was frost free was a real disappointment. Average tempe Oct 2010 Polmont = 9.5c October 2011 = 10.8c oh dear 1.3c up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Haha!

12.6c, amazing figure.

What was your guess?

Posted

Yesterday's value was 18.3C. We will as always have to wait for readjustments at the end of the month, but assuming the first two days of October stay above 18C we will have a 5-day run of CET means above 18C - the first time on record such a run has occurred in October. Remarkable.

Here's the full list (as far as I know) of such hot spells since daily mean records began in 1772: http://forum.netweat...cet-hot-spells/

You really couldn't make it up - they downgraded the 2nd to 17.9C. So we have officially failed to record the latest hot spell in the calendar (and the first to contain days in October) by a measly 0.1C.

What a massive bummer.

Monthly Top 3

1. Backtrack

2. conor123

3. Sunlover

Overall Positions

1. Jack Wales - stays 1st with a commanding lead

2. fozfoster - Up From 3rd

3. Kentish Man - Up From 5th

Seasonal top 3

1.Gavin D

2.Jack Wales

3 Tonyh

Full Scores to be posted tomorrow evening.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Who can actually win the annual with one month to go?