Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Thunderstorms 7th June 1996

Sprites

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

anyone have videos or photos of the thunderstorms on this day?, please add any material herehelp.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Hi ya Sprites , I don't have a pic of that date, but I do have a screenshot of the IOW lightning detector dated 22nd July 2006. Accumulated strikes that day were 25562 ohmy.png

These were storms from a Spanish plume. I believe 2006 was a good year for storms. Oh, how I wish they'd return.sad.png

doh.gif I just noticed after you put 1996... I still have my 2006 one though if it's applicable lol

Posted
Hi ya Sprites , I don't have a pic of that date, but I do have a screenshot of the IOW lightning detector dated 22nd July 2006. Accumulated strikes that day were 25562 ohmy.png

These were storms from a Spanish plume. I believe 2006 was a good year for storms. Oh, how I wish they'd return.sad.png

doh.gif I just noticed after you put 1996... I still have my 2006 one though if it's applicable lol

hi jane l. 1996 i borrowed my friends videocam on 7th june, but didnt have transport,and didnt get much film, saw a huge storm pass to the west in the evening, i will try find the video VHS-C format not great quality though..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

hi jane l. 1996 i borrowed my friends videocam on 7th june, but didnt have transport,and didnt get much film, saw a huge storm pass to the west in the evening, i will try find the video VHS-C format not great quality though..

Great Sprites.smile.png I look forward to seeing it biggrin.png

• 6 months later...
Posted

A few video grabs from the evening convection, the camera was not great ...be great to get a similar setup again 1day...

post-12104-0-03429300-1333984901_thumb.p

post-12104-0-88680000-1333984949_thumb.p

post-12104-0-88626300-1333985047_thumb.p

post-12104-0-89198000-1333985250_thumb.p

post-12104-0-93509700-1333985314_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

That was a very stormy summer if I recall. My storm diaries have a lot of storms that June and July and 4 huge MCS that lasted for at least 8 hours.

Posted

That was a very stormy summer if I recall. My storm diaries have a lot of storms that June and July and 4 huge MCS that lasted for at least 8 hours.

it was a spanish that made the storms that day, some places had hail 30-50mm , Weather magazine has a good account of these storms, i think it was in a 1998 edition.

Posted

it was a spanish that made the storms that day, some places had hail 30-50mm , Weather magazine has a good account of these storms, i think it was in a 1998 edition.

From my storm diaries 94 and 96 - 99 were fabulous years for storms in my area. The perfect summers too. Long hot days with many thunderstorms thrown in throughout the season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

From my storm diaries 94 and 96 - 99 were fabulous years for storms in my area. The perfect summers too. Long hot days with many thunderstorms thrown in throughout the season.

You seem to remember it as well as I do, overnight storms, constant rumbles and flashes every 3-5 seconds.

Posted

You seem to remember it as well as I do, overnight storms, constant rumbles and flashes every 3-5 seconds.

Those were the days aye, Rob?

I remember as the storms started my Mum used be on the phone to my Aunt who lived near Sevenoaks to talk about where it was headed etc. We used to spend many summers nights in my parents bedroom looking out into the horizon at the storms with each one of us taking it in turns to go downstairs and make tea to see us through the night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Those were the days aye, Rob?

I remember as the storms started my Mum used be on the phone to my Aunt who lived near Sevenoaks to talk about where it was headed etc. We used to spend many summers nights in my parents bedroom looking out into the horizon at the storms with each one of us taking it in turns to go downstairs and make tea to see us through the night.

Certainly where, just didn't realise they where that long ago. I remember them well, because I used to live with my mum, at my nan and grandads and it was so scary at that age... I ran into my grandparents bed lol!!

It'd be amazing to experience an overnight MCS, just never found any videos of them on the internet...even recent ones.