Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Winter's Tale

Uefa Champions League 2011/2012

UCL 2011/2012  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win the Champions League

• FC Barcelona
    • Manchester United
    • Chelsea FC
    • FC Bayern Munich
    • Arsenal FC
    • Real Madrid CF
    • FC Porto
    • FC Inter Milan
    • AC Milan
    • Olympique Lyonnais
    • FC Shaktar Donetsk
    • Valencial CF
    • SL Benfica
    • Villareal CF
    • CSKA Moscow
    • Olympique de Marseille
    • Zenit St Petersburg
    • AFC Ajax
    • Bayern 04 Leverkusen
    • Manchester City FC
    • Olympiacos FC
    • Lille
    • FC Basel
    • FC BATE Borisov
    • Borussia Dortmond
  2. 2. Who Will Be Top Goal Scorer

• Lionel Messi
    • Wayne Rooney
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • Sergio Aguero
    • David Villa
    • Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    • Fernando Torres
    • Robin Van Persie
    • Diego Forlan
    • Arjen Robben
    • Mario Gomez
    • Diego Milito
    • Karim Benzema
    • Alexendre Pato
    • Didier Drogba
    • Ashley Young
    • Javier Herandez
    • Cesc Fabregas
    • Juan Mata
    • Giusseppe Rossi
  3. 3. Best Midfielder

• Iniesta
    • Xavi
    • Fabregas
    • Lampard
    • Wilshere
    • Alonso
    • Fletcher
    • Schwienstiger
    • Sneijder
    • David Silva
  4. 4. Best Defender

• Terry
    • Vidic
    • Ferdinand
    • Lahm
    • Puyol
    • Pique
    • Alves
    • Cole
    • Lucio
    • Maicon
  5. 5. Player of the UCL 2011/2012

• Messi
    • Rooney
    • Ronaldo
    • Iniesta
    • Xavi
    • Fabregas
    • Sneijder
    • Van Persie
    • Aguero
    • Silva
    • Villa
    • Lahm
    • Vidic
    • Pique
    • Puyol
    • Cesar
    • Casillas
    • Nuer
    • Cech

Short pass here, short pass there, short passes everywhere....Change the record Barcelona, you're getting boring and predictable, that's why you failed to put Chelsea away last night!

This is exactly right Barcelona failed to change their tactics faced with the obvious fact the way they were playing wasn't going to break Chelsea down. Chelsea played it perfectly once they got to 2-1, they spread the midfield across the pitch 5 yards form the box and infilled their defence around 12 yards from goal they just allowed Barcelona to pass the ball around 25-30 yards from goal. Barcelona should have flooded the 18 yard box..(dont forget they had a man over) and really mixed the play up. I was surprised how few crosses they actually produced..they should have bombarded the defence esp the last 15- 20 mins with balls into the box...maybe they thought they were just too good to do that?

Barcelona are still a formidable side, but indeed, they suffered from many of the same problems as have been characteristic of Arsene Wenger's Arsenal over the years.

That sort of "passing" brand of football really needs to be accompanied by a selection of on-form strikers who can put the finishing touches to attacking chances, attempting shots from outside of the penalty box, rather than just trying to pass/walk the ball into the net. This season Barcelona appear to have been heavily reliant on Lionel Messi to provide the goods (as highlighted by Robbie Garrett above) so when he has off periods (as even the best players do) they're always going to struggle for an end product. Similarly, Arsenal's success during the "Invincibles" era was helped by some star attacking players, notably Thierry Henry and the likes of Bergkamp and Pires, who provided a strong end product.

Where were the diagonal lofted balls into the box and why so few attempted overlaps from Barcelona?......The answer might well be that they have no center forwards with any height to them......As Cheekymonkey posted Di Matteo knew this and made sure he had all 9 outfield players behind the ball across the 18 yard line giving Barca no options.....Very shrewd tactically and a lesson for future teams playing Barcelona

cant tell you how proud i was of chelsea last night

I've been wondering whether it might not be a bad idea to suspend yellow and red cards, collected en route, for the final. I know it seems like giving the green light to the likes of Terry and his stupidity but I'm thinking of the broader picture. The final is the showpiece of European football and as such is watched by millions world wide. Do they not deserve a match where both sides can field their strongest possible side? This isn't a reaction to the fact that Chelsea will be sorely depleted this year but one I have considered before. It's possible of course that this could lead to more ducking and diving in the semis.

Have to admit I was laughing my socks off at 2-0, but fair play to anyone who can come back at the Nou Camp playing most of the game with 10 men and losing both first-choice centre backs. Immense second-half performance by Chelsea.

Barcelona were disappointing by their standards though. That Messi bloke can't shoot to save his life. blink.png

A very good semi-final so far between Bayern and Madrid with good quality end-to-end football. Quite tense at the moment, unfortuantly I think it favours Madrid. Philipp Lahm has been outstanding tonight.

Bayern vs. Chelsea... what an intriguing final. Bayern big favourites- both sides have quite a few missing players though.

The Germans and penalties. I still have nightmares.But I think Bayern deserved to win. The problem is a number of first team players from both sides missing the final. I still think this should be rethought.

380306_10150696274998341_735173340_9398234_902730454_n.jpg

I for one cannot wait, and interestingly enough.... I have booked a holiday for that date!! MUAHAHH!!

Saturday May 19th 2012 , k/o 7.45pm - LIVE on ITV1 & Sky -

I know many threads on here overlap but is there record for the number?

I know many threads on here overlap but is there record for the number?

Agreed, it's getting a bit silly now!

I have merged some threads, so some posts above referring to multiple threads may not make sense.

The game is about to start. I'm rooting for the blues, who are you supporting?

Ryan.

What a game so far, Munich score on the 82nd minute and i was worried, but then 5 minutes later and with their first corner of the match after Bayern have had about 18, Drogba scores a magnificent header. Extra time to come. Come on you blues!

Ryan.

I wouldn't say it's been a great game at all. The first 80 mins were dire. Since then it has burst into life and if Chelsea win this they can count themselves very lucky indeed.

Good game far from dire. Well done Chelski and for once Drogba didn't spend all the time diving and playing nearly dead.

Terrible game, Chelsea probably the least deserving champions of all time and another blow to positive attacking football

Ah well, we'll now get the Chelski fans announcing how they have changed the scape of the world, despite being dominated throughout. Well done to them for sticking in but Bayern were far superior throughout. We'll now get a summer full of how English football is the greatest thing ever made. I can take the result, but what I can't take is the media backlash afterwards.

Totally undeserved, but nevertheless, congratulations Chelsea!

Ah well, we'll now get the Chelski fans announcing how they have changed the scape of the world, despite being dominated throughout. Well done to them for sticking in but Bayern were far superior throughout. We'll now get a summer full of how English football is the greatest thing ever made. I can take the result, but what I can't take is the media backlash afterwards.

But then again- look at the positives- Spurs aren't in the CL :)

Terrible game, Chelsea probably the least deserving champions of all time and another blow to positive attacking football

Yes, absolutely dreadful.

One of those games where you wish it was possible for both teams to lose.

No doubt the London media will big it up endlessly but if an Italian side had won it in this manner they'd have been slaughtered.

Di Matteo must have mixed emotions.

Sacked by the Baggies and rejected by Bloose.

Life's a caravan sometimes.

I thought Robben had a shocker tonight, poor penelty, poor set pieces and poor shooting and Gomez was not that much better either in fairness.

Bayern had most of the ball but they could not break through a side who literally parked the bus again and got their rewards, luck or no luck, its a clever tactic when it works thats for sure.

It was a dire game but it will be interesting if RDM will get the job now. He probably would and the senior Chelsea players would love that won't they? I think it somes up how much of a soft touch he is when he allowes the players call him "Robbie", you don't hear any other players from any other club do that. It will be interesting whether he will have the bottle to move some of the more older players on or not, at least with AVB, he had the bottle and fair play to him considering his age. Sadly the Media/pundits and some of the senior pros undermind him and seemed to forget his achievements with Porto.

It would of been interesting too see how Chelsea will fare without CL footy but sadly the usual suspects are in the competition after it looked like both Arsenal and Chelsea could miss out at one stage.