Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What Kind Of Lightning Detector Do You Use.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Just digging this thread back up again.. I have a boltek stormtracker (the PCI card jobby) so it's not very portable tease.gif

Hi scoobie, can you pop your location in your profile. Thank you smile.png

Now,that's the one I want lol but a bit much out of my budget.. do you get any storms where you are lol ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!

Done! It was so long ago I signed up to the forum I miust have forgotten fill my profile out completely!

Anyway, yes we do get a reasonable amount of thunderstorms where I am, more so recently than for a looooong time.

I'm actually thinking of parting with the Boltek if you're interested..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I have a little old StrikeAlert 1 with it's bum taped over with tank tape biggrin.png

Definitely has to be kept away from electronic toys and was next to useless in my old car, kept going off every time I changed gear.......rofl.gif However the batteries seem to last forever which is just as well as they get fired across the room if you try and change them rolleyes.gif

And of course netweather extra smile.png

rofl.gif

Haha yes I know what you mean, mine was working fine with my girlfriends hair bobble wrapped around it, but last time I changed the battery I ended up breaking it completely by sticking a screwdriver in it, and now there's bits rattling around everywhere.

So now that's finally gone, I only use the Netweather Extra radar and lightning detector to track storms, and of course the window, but they rarely come close enough for that!

Posted

Lol, my strike alert is hanging together with bluetac and sellotape and to get it to actually work I have to bang it with my hand LOL. I know a lot of people who've had these problems with the old strike alert.

Done! It was so long ago I signed up to the forum I miust have forgotten fill my profile out completely!

Anyway, yes we do get a reasonable amount of thunderstorms where I am, more so recently than for a looooong time.

I'm actually thinking of parting with the Boltek if you're interested..

Thanks scoobiesmile.png You can PM with a price, but it may take a while to save some pennies for it Lol

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

I used to use a strike alert (which was forever falling to pieces and giving constant false positives) until I bought in to the smartphone market 3 years back, since then I have used services I can access from them like our beloved net weather extra and sms alerts. Alert comes in and I fire up extra / gps radar overlays and such and instantly I have the starship Enterprises' sensor display in my hand.

Going even further back I would use my stereo with a decent antenna in the long wave socket, I even used to tape the sounds big storms made on those frequencies as they passed by.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

An untuned MW radio receiver...

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Hey guys can u recomend a good lightning detector to buy with audio because of my sight i would need audio as well as visual. Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I use the very best Netweather Lightning strike detector.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The strike detector here on Netweather is great, serves it's purpose very well good.gif

Posted

Hey guys can u recomend a good lightning detector to buy with audio because of my sight i would need audio as well as visual. Thanks.

Hi syedsmile.png

As others have stated Netweather is great also have you tried a radio tuned into a non station on medium wave as Pete has mentioned.smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Hi jane i did until my mw radio blu up. It was i must say a good detector.