Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mountain Snowfall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Met Office mention snow for the hills.

Posted

The current MWIS outlook forecast states that 'A pulse of very cold air on Thursday and Friday will bring squally heavy snow and hail showers across the Scottish

Highlands, these concentrated across western mountains. The showers will also bring a dusting of snow to highest

summits in England and north Wales.'

http://www.mwis.org.uk/ztjwzvobjcjzafmg/EH.PDF

These forecasts chop and change more than most though, so we'll see.

Posted

MOUNTAIN SNOW WATCH:

Snow is forecast to fall in places as forecast by Snowforecast.com.

The Met office have even warned of a risk of snow on the Scottish Mountains.

Remember to check webcams to see if it has snowed.

It will almost certainly snow heavily (at least for periods) on the high hills of western Scotland over the course of the next 24-36 hours. I would imagine that you'll see some on the webcams in the morning: http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/webcams/

October snow isn't really that rare. Remember, the first snows of the new season came on the 28th August this year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

It will almost certainly snow heavily (at least for periods) on the high hills of western Scotland over the course of the next 24-36 hours. I would imagine that you'll see some on the webcams in the morning: http://www.highland-....co.uk/webcams/

October snow isn't really that rare. Remember, the first snows of the new season came on the 28th August this year!

Yes indeed. The next few weeks signal snowfalls and quick melts with alternating tm and pm airflows, however now the pm airflows are getting progressively cooler and will deliver more widespread snow to the hills. The tm flows are still extremely mild, and regarding snow patches we should maintain the status quo until at least a more prolonged wintry blast or hp cells crushing atlantic fronts.

There are many showers entering the highlands currently from the west. Ben Nevis deluge by morning but the showers look quite hit and miss.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Oh yes, the first proper snows of the season about to fall on some of the highest hills and mountains in Scotland.

Could be some brief wet snow too as far South as the Pennines in the heaviest showers. Although this is likely to be the limit. Snowdon is going to have to wait a few more weeks yet until it sees the summits covered yet again, marking the return of a long winter. :D

Posted

Oh yes, the first proper snows of the season about to fall on some of the highest hills and mountains in Scotland.

Could be some brief wet snow too as far South as the Pennines in the heaviest showers. Although this is likely to be the limit. Snowdon is going to have to wait a few more weeks yet until it sees the summits covered yet again, marking the return of a long winter. biggrin.png

Pennines v.unlikely imo. Maybe some extremely cold rain. Scafell Pike possibly though. I'd imagine -1c or -2c uppers needed for snow at 1000m-1100m under this current synoptic scenario.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Pennines v.unlikely imo. Maybe some extremely cold rain. Scafell Pike possibly though. I'd imagine -1c or -2c uppers needed for snow at 1000m-1100m under this current synoptic scenario.

Met office disagree :p ; I must admit I can't wait for winter now mate and the regional topic hope its back to Northeast England this year after when they tried to put northern england I think last year? which didn't work well in my opinion :)

Weather

Frequent heavy showers across the Lake District. There will hail mixed in with the odd rumble of thunder and falling as snow above about 900M. The showers will merge in the afternoon to give a more prolonged spell of rain and mountain top snow.

Posted

Met office disagree blum.gif ; I must admit I can't wait for winter now mate and the regional topic hope its back to Northeast England this year after when they tried to put northern england I think last year? which didn't work well in my opinion smile.png

Weather

Frequent heavy showers across the Lake District. There will hail mixed in with the odd rumble of thunder and falling as snow above about 900M. The showers will merge in the afternoon to give a more prolonged spell of rain and mountain top snow.

Hmmm maybe not then! And definitely mate, cannot wait for the regionals - always an extra buzz whether we're describing mild southwesterlies, beefy showers in the north sea, or your mild snowdome in teesside!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

MWIS giving hail and sleet showers over the Lakeland fells tomorrow, snow only mentioned over the Scottish Highlands.

Posted

MWIS giving hail and sleet showers over the Lakeland fells tomorrow, snow only mentioned over the Scottish Highlands.

I think the very highest tops of the lakeland fells i.e. Scafell and Helvellyn should see some wet snow within the heaviest showers with perhaps a light dusting at times - but the snow will be short-lived in. We are in classic evaporative cooling territory with a very unstable blast of polar air and gale force winds quickly lowering temps when the showers arrive.

The Scottish Highlands should see some hefty snow showers above 900m with perhaps a couple of inches of snow settling on the very highest tops above about 1200m. There will be a significant windchill thanks to the gale force winds and cold polar air.

I am planning a few days walking sometime 15-24 Oct in the Highlands - not sure where yet, but hope to see some snow falling from the sky at some stage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Hmmm maybe not then! And definitely mate, cannot wait for the regionals - always an extra buzz whether we're describing mild southwesterlies, beefy showers in the north sea, or your mild snowdome in teesside!

Lol and yep my mild snowdome has been brought down now after last December and the previous winter :p Only just over a month to go hopefully and they will be out again... :D

Posted

Lol and yep my mild snowdome has been brought down now after last December and the previous winter blum.gif Only just over a month to go hopefully and they will be out again... biggrin.png

Rumour has it they've got jcb's around alza's building one for him while he's offline - shush about it though, he's canny protective when it comes to snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Someone beat me to it, but yeah I got my information from the mountain area forecasts from the Met Office website. It's hard to accurately forecast for mountains, especially in such an unstable airflow!

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I think the very highest tops of the lakeland fells i.e. Scafell and Helvellyn should see some wet snow within the heaviest showers with perhaps a light dusting at times - but the snow will be short-lived in. We are in classic evaporative cooling territory with a very unstable blast of polar air and gale force winds quickly lowering temps when the showers arrive.

The Scottish Highlands should see some hefty snow showers above 900m with perhaps a couple of inches of snow settling on the very highest tops above about 1200m. There will be a significant windchill thanks to the gale force winds and cold polar air.

I am planning a few days walking sometime 15-24 Oct in the Highlands - not sure where yet, but hope to see some snow falling from the sky at some stage.

I'm sure the highest peaks could see some snowfall tomorrow espcially if any heavier showers move through temporarily dragging the colder air down, in between showers any wintry PPN will thaw until the next shower rattles through.

Fingers crossed for Scotland then, hope you get the snow you are hoping for.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The Met Office forecast for the Yorkshire Dales say the highest peaks could see wet snow briefly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Purple on the NAE..

Those uppers are very cold now..

post-11361-0-67804200-1317872064_thumb.gpost-11361-0-50199800-1317872061_thumb.g

see 500hpa here

post-11361-0-69737400-1317872146_thumb.g

and todays surface temperatures below

post-11361-0-83346000-1317872150_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Winter's here... Cairn Gorm this morning. -2.2 and showers coming in on a very strong NW flow

ptarmigan_image11-10-06_09-34-01-25.jpg

Brrrr!

Does anyone live that high up in Scotland? Like a little hamlet or a farm house etc?

Posted

Brrrr!

Does anyone live that high up in Scotland? Like a little hamlet or a farm house etc?

No - there isn't much (possibly any) permanent habitation above 400-450m or so. The Cairngorms have vast high tundra-like plateaux at 1000-1300m which are essentially uninhabitable. In past centuries, in many parts of the highlands people would take cattle and sheep up to higher pastures in summer and live in basic buildings called shielings, but don't think even many of these were higher than 500-600m ASL, and they would return to lower dwellings in the winter.

Edited by spindrift1980

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

No - there isn't much (possibly any) permanent habitation above 400-450m or so. The Cairngorms have vast high tundra-like plateaux at 1000-1300m which are essentially uninhabitable. In past centuries, in many parts of the highlands people would take cattle and sheep up to higher pastures in summer and live in basic buildings called shielings, but don't think even many of these were higher than 500-600m ASL, and they would return to lower dwellings in the winter.

Thanks.

Maybe they can extend the Daylodge at Cairngorm and then all us Netweather snow geeks can go and live there in winter! crazy.gifcold.gif

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
mainbasin.jpegGlencoe looking bleak!