Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First sign of Winter

Posted

In terms of the mountains it's -0.5c at the Summit of CairnGorm. Wind still gusting over 70mph, left trouser leging it down in Aviemore apparently, webcams support that as does the radar, so blizzards on the Cairngorm Plateau seems likely!

Unfortunately something appears to have happened to the Vodafone mast on Meall a' Bhuachaille, as the mid station webcams and weather station went down offline about 4.30pm today, the system auto restarts at 6pm and it didn't come back online. Hopefully the Ptarmigan webcam from CML is working in the morning, you could only see the inside of a cloud when it stopped updating for the day today!

braeriach.jpeg

The above webcam is a zoomed in view of Braeriach from Mountain Spirit in Aviemore, if the cloud parts tomorrow morning there might be white tops! good.gif

Posted

In terms of the mountains it's -0.5c at the Summit of CairnGorm. Wind still gusting over 70mph, left trouser leging it down in Aviemore apparently, webcams support that as does the radar, so blizzards on the Cairngorm Plateau seems likely!

Unfortunately something appears to have happened to the Vodafone mast on Meall a' Bhuachaille, as the mid station webcams and weather station went down offline about 4.30pm today, the system auto restarts at 6pm and it didn't come back online. Hopefully the Ptarmigan webcam from CML is working in the morning, you could only see the inside of a cloud when it stopped updating for the day today!

braeriach.jpeg

The above webcam is a zoomed in view of Braeriach from Mountain Spirit in Aviemore, if the cloud parts tomorrow morning there might be white tops! good.gif

Yes hopefully the summits of the mountains will be all white tommorow. It certainly has been a very autumnal and to an extent "wintry" day over the North.

I am quite interested to see how cold it gets in Aviemore and Altnaharra because snow could fall at quite low levels and perhaps some wintriness in the settlements of Strathspey.

Posted
Posted

I was going to ask about the dew point as I thought it would be quite close to the temp given the set up with that wrap around front.

I think that must have been an error as unfortunately I can't see it having sleeted or snowed with a dew point of 6C.

The tops of the Scottish mountains however would be a totally different story I expect.

Posted

I usually get excited when the forecasters mention "a chance of frost in some sheltered Glens" at the end of August. Nearly popped a cork when they mentioned snow yesterday !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Slightly off topic - but yes there was definitely snow yesterday - this quoted off WinterHighland forums:

"First snows on Cairn Gorm summit yesterday; falling and then lying thru early hours - flecks still visible 10am this morning!"

Posted

Surprised Buxton didn't see anything today, the max temp being JUST 10.7'c at the height of daytime. And a cold northerly wind blowing through the Peak district all day bringing drizzle enhanced by topographic lift from the Goyt. http://www.buxtonweather.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Surprised Buxton didn't see anything today, the max temp being JUST 10.7'c at the height of daytime. And a cold northerly wind blowing through the Peak district all day bringing drizzle enhanced by topographic lift from the Goyt. http://www.buxtonweather.co.uk/

Snow in Buxton in August? Buxton lies at 300m asl, the mountains we're talking about are over four times that :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Slightly off topic - but yes there was definitely snow yesterday - this quoted off WinterHighland forums:

"First snows on Cairn Gorm summit yesterday; falling and then lying thru early hours - flecks still visible 10am this morning!"

Pictures on WinterHighland from Cairngorm AWS from the weekend:

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=7631

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=7632

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Pictures on WinterHighland from Cairngorm AWS from the weekend:

http://www.winterhig...php?2,file=7631

http://www.winterhig...php?2,file=7632

Snooooooow!

Probable more than I will see all winter :)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I'm sure I called this 'First Frost'?

Anyway, tonight is a possible chance in some glens and Northern valleys. -1C somewhere imo, possible ground frosts in some Northern areas also.

Posted

Anyway, tonight is a possible chance in some glens and Northern valleys. -1C somewhere imo, possible ground frosts in some Northern areas also.

Yes there is certainly a possibility of an air frost tonight in some places. Perhaps there may be a few more oppurtunities before the month is out.

9.2 C in Loch Glascarnoch at 3pm. With clear skies, it's looking good for a chilly night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I'm hoping to record a ground frost. Being far out from the city itself , temperatures here are often 4 degrees lower, and the centre of Leeds is forecast to fall to 5C tonight. Oh goody gumdrops!

Posted

I'm hoping to record a ground frost. Being far out from the city itself , temperatures here are often 4 degrees lower, and the centre of Leeds is forecast to fall to 5C tonight. Oh goody gumdrops!

Haha!

I think that's a bit extreme mate - Hi-Res NMM showing 6C for your area and GFS mins at 5C. And that's just west of Leeds in quite a cool area of course. I'd say you may fall to 3-4C if you're lucky :)

Only a few places will get ground frosts - but it will feel chilly in most areas.

Posted

Haha!

I think that's a bit extreme mate - Hi-Res NMM showing 6C for your area and GFS mins at 5C. And that's just west of Leeds in quite a cool area of course. I'd say you may fall to 3-4C if you're lucky smile.png

Only a few places will get ground frosts - but it will feel chilly in most areas.

I'm just going by what our local forecast is saying.tongue.png

Posted

Ah right mate, sorry about that! :)

Unfortunately looks like there's alot of cloud currently, here's hoping the moving HP ridge will push some of that away, but by dawn many areas will have cloud pushing in from the west.

Posted
  • Location: Queensbury, West Yorkshire. 327m (1,072ft) [top of road = 406m (1,332 ft)]
  • Location: Queensbury, West Yorkshire. 327m (1,072ft) [top of road = 406m (1,332 ft)]

These are definitely some things to watch over the coming weeks!

There's heavy sleet forecast for the Nevis Range this weekend, and snow next Tuesday!

http://www.myweather2.com/Hill-and-Mountain/United-Kingdom/Nevis-Range.aspx?sday=0&eday=7

I'll be keeping my eye on these web-cams as these will be some of the first places to see the stuff!

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/cairngorm-mountain/

Posted

Talk of ground frost in the Brecon Beacons too on the Welsh regional beeb forecast, I shall be watching closely then :)

Posted

Lowest temperature for Autumn so far is in my signature, pretty pathetic, hoping that is beaten by land slide tonight.

Edited by Aaron