Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Very Dry Summer For Parts Of The Midlands!

Eugene

Anybody else experiencing a very dry summer in the midlands or anywhere else?

River levels are very low in parts and the countryside looks distressed in parts with the usually green lush warwickshire countryside looking brown and parched in parts, the ground is rock hard with cracks seen in fields of crops, gardeners have commented they really want some rain for their flowers/plants, hopefully some much needed rainfall for tomorrow for us and on sunday/monday though it wont really make it for the lack of rain this summer in the midlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Yes at my weather station in the Vale Of Evesham, to give you an idea of how dry its been this year, we have only up to today had about 9 inches of rain since January 1st, compare that to July 2007 where we had neraly 9 inches in just that month!!!

Posted

It is seriously dry here too, no idea what the count is for here but I think we must have only had abround 30% of our average rainfall this year.

Even East Anglia has been wetter, we always seem to miss out here, same with last winter, we missed around 10 snow events here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Definately been a dry year so far having reached around 66% of the expected average for this time of year, although thats in main part due to the very dry spring. Summer has been drier than average so far and August is on very dry but tomorrow should sort that out a bit. Only January and February recorded slightly above averages. The grass is very brown in the garden as is the playing field behind with quite a lot of leaves showing drought stress.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

This month looks like it will be above average for the way it is going here!

Average for august is around 120mm and already have 95.5mm. cray.gif

Posted

This summer in general has lacked rainfall, sunshine, major warmth, its lacked anything remotely interesting in general.

Posted

This summer in general has lacked rainfall, sunshine, major warmth, its lacked anything remotely interesting in general.

It got to go down as being the most boring year for weather that I've ever seen!

Literally nothing has happened for more than a year come to think about it, we're stuck in the doldrums and there seems to be nothing that will pull us out.

Even that rain forecast tomorrow looks like it will miss the 'deadzone' just like all of the snow during winter.

At least it suggests we are still in the same pattern, and so should get a decently cold, if boring, winter.

deadzone.gif

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

It is seriously dry here too, no idea what the count is for here but I think we must have only had abround 30% of our average rainfall this year.

Even East Anglia has been wetter, we always seem to miss out here, same with last winter, we missed around 10 snow events here!

Much more likely around 60% which is still an exceptionally low figure to be at at this stage in the year.

Bablake weather station in Coventry is on 246mm to date this year and was at 63% to the end of July.

I disagree on it being boring, as were I still living in the Midlands I would be finding excitement in the possibility of it being the driest ever year in Coventry which so far is 1921 with just 443mm. I have a feeling a wet Autumn will put paid to this though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It's been a dry summer here too, though not exceptionally dry. Most of the stress suffered by vegetation here is the result of the ground drying out to a great depth after a very dry spring; there is certainly much less growth than normal on the hedges and shrubs.

Total rainfall for the summer so far is 168.4 mm which, if there was no more rain until the end of August, would make it the 8th driest summer in the last 34 years. As this is very unlikely to happen I would think the summer will end up somewhere just below halfway in the last 34 years, bar some very wet weather in the second half of the month.

It's certainly not in the same league as the summers of 1995 and 1983 which recorded 66.0 mm and 62.1 mm respectively.

Posted

38mm in the Summer of 1995 at my old WS in Coventry, June had more than that alone this year there.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Desperately dry here dispite 11 thunderstorms since Jan 1st. A tiny 178mm for the year so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Its been so dry here and I would be quite confident in saying the Midlands is the driest part of the UK right now. The West Midlands especially will miss much of tomorrow rain. My Station has recorded just 8mm of rain in the last month and 260mm fro the year so far. Maybe the month figure may be slightly higher if any sudden sharp downpours have been missed slightly but it cant be much.

The grass is brown and barely growing and only in small patches if so. SE Midlands and a fair chunk of the SE looks nice and wet tomorrow, much the way its been lately anyway.

Last weeks Environment Agency water report shows the Midlands is quite easily the driest region right now.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Summer 2011 has been to summer what Winter 1991/92 was to winter.

Dry, boring, dull, never too much on the "wrong" side for temperature (it hasn't been really cold, as winter 1991/92 wasn't especially mild) but it has been totally devoid of the things you expect in summer, ie heatwaves, warm sunny days, and thunderstorms. In the same way that winter 1991/92 was absolutely devoid of both snow and the gales and flooding that brought something of note to the many of the mild winters.

Winter 1991/92 had its frosty nights, just like summer 2011 has had its pre-8am and post-8pm blazing sunshine. 1991/92 had some freezing fog without either snow or record low temperatures- summer 2011 has often had trying humidity without either sunshine, record high temperatures, or thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

What a surprise! NO RAIN whatsoever today and its all gone towards the SE yet again. The sun is shining here and its reasonably warm!

Cannot believe how dry its been. The Midlands is the place to be if you like dry weather. :D

Posted

If the GFS is right then the Midlands can forget about rain for the rest of August apart really. The SE looks like seeing some good rain. But other than that its bad news for us!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Yet again dry here although we did have a rogue shower Tuesday which gave 0.8mm of extra rain. Just crept into double figures for the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

indeed, without any official figures but going on grass growth... its the driest here since 1995..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

If the GFS is right then the Midlands can forget about rain for the rest of August apart really. The SE looks like seeing some good rain. But other than that its bad news for us!

depends on peoples point of view, I would say good news! still a concern for saturday, bbc gives a washout, GFS drier, the models generally placed todays rain too far north, like on 18th Dec models placed the ppn too far south, luckily that hit me as it was snow

Posted

The SE Midlands was wet today with half an inch or so in many parts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Most of the rain missed us and we got just a glancing blow delivering 2.5mm taking August up to the dizzy height of 9.5mm, still plenty of time for that to change but it does look like a drier than average August for us.

Posted

depends on peoples point of view, I would say good news! still a concern for saturday, bbc gives a washout, GFS drier, the models generally placed todays rain too far north, like on 18th Dec models placed the ppn too far south, luckily that hit me as it was snow

Indeed its good news for me but not good news for our growers and farmers. Certainly some distressed vegetation around here at the moment. There seems quite a zone where the Rain just isnt forming and it seems roughly Hereford to Evesham to Birmingham, Stoke maybe even Derby to Shrewsbury and back down to Hereford. This isnt exact but seems to be the area which is seeing virtually nothing right now.

Posted

Blimey a shower last night which I haven't measured but I guess 0.2 to 04mm of rain. A dry weekend coming up so bad news for the plants in the garden.

Posted

If the GFS is right then next weeks rain will take pretty much exactly the same track as it has done in the last few days. Any proper rain is looking very unlikely for the West Midlands especially for August.

Posted

The lack of rain continues the huge wash out has gone to light rain away from the SE if you're lucky. Rainfall coming from the west later this week doesn't look like doing much either. Autumn in full swing here a bit of wind and trees maybe bare by the middle of September at this rate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

At one stage it was way below average, but now I suspect it is only just below average, so far we have had 88% of rainfall this summer which isn't particularly dry. I'd say for the year we've had maybe 65-70% of rainfall, which again isn't VERY dry.