Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What Is The Earliest/latest Snowfall You Have Ever Seen

A Winter's Tale

Earliest/Latest Snow  

51 members have voted

1. 1. The Earliest You Have Seen it Snow?

• July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December
  2. 2. Latest You Have Seen it Snow?

• February
    • March
    • April
    • May
    • June
  3. 3. The Earliest Lying Snow (not in Hills)

• July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December
  4. 4. Latest Lying Snow

• February
    • March
    • April
    • May
    • June
  5. 5. Warmest You Have Seen it Snow at

• 0c
    • 1c
    • 2c
    • 3c
    • 4c
    • 5c
    • 6c
    • 7c
    • 8c
    • 9c +

Posted

surely when it is snowing the temperature has to be around 0C or lower regardless of what the temp is prior to or after snow has fallen..so stating a temp of 7,8 or 9c isnt really true.

I guess it's kind of a fallacy as we're all situated at head height. Warmest temperature ever recorded at sea level from which snow is recorded as falling I think is 9c in New York in the 1930s - I read it somewhere a while ago so the date or location (or both) may be wrong.

It did snow in April 2003 at 7c, I was quite surprised myself. It was quite a damp snow shower which indicated a high level of water content, so the snow was descending to rapidly for it to melt when it got to the ground. It would have been cold in the atmosphere at around 5000 feet. I think this is the chart from April 2003 that produced such a scenario;

Rrea00120030410.gif

Rrea00220030410.gif

It was roughly 8AM in the morning

Posted

What will be the date of the first snowfall in a settlement this year?

September 27th 2010 in Altnaharra with a brief snowfall at around 6am I can recall being the first snowfall of last winter.

This year I am going for sometime in late October or November but really I am hoping for my first October snowfall. I love it when you get autumnal or Spring snowfalls and hopefully we will see these type of events alongside a very cold and snowy December and snowy winter again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

For me, the list runs as follows:

Earliest falling snow: 5th November 1991 at Cleadon (also sleet mixed with rain on 20 October 2002 while at Lancaster).

Earliest lying snow: 8th November 2001 at Cleadon

Latest falling snow: 6th May 1997 (also sleet mixed with rain showers on 11 May 1995), both at Cleadon

Latest lying snow: 14th April 1999 (also at Cleadon)

Highest temperature with snow: 8°C (at the start of snow showers in May 1997 and Aprils 1998 and 1999, though in each case the temperature dropped abruptly to around 5°C as the shower got underway).

My favourite site for discussion of "snow at above zero temperatures" is this one, which emphasises the strong link with humidity (which is why most experienced forecasters regularly refer to the dew points, which are a function of air temperature and humidity)

http://www.sciencebi...owAboveFreezing

The "red line" is the typical guide, suggesting a maximum bound of about 5-6°C for falling snow, where preferably the average of the air temperature and dew point has to be near or below zero. In showery setups in spring, though, it can sometimes snow at higher temperatures than that, due to the downdraughts and the very shallow layer of warm solar-heated air near the surface, which means the snowflakes don't have to pass through much above-freezing air before they reach the ground. Hence the occasional instances of snow at 7-8°C, though unless you catch the very edge of a shower, chances are, as per my aforementioned observations, the temperature will drop by at least 2-3°C as the shower gets underway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Found this interesting sight although can't vouch for the validity

Heard about 25th September 1885 before

http://www.drrichardwild.co.uk/index.php?page=Summer_Autumn_Snows

For me heavy settled snow for over 24hrs end Oct 2009 ?

A few times in April

Seen snow on mountains etc every month of the year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Snow in March and April is a relatively common occurrence here, I'd dare see it's been just, if not more common, then snow in November and December over the past 10 years.

I witnessed sleet in May and October last year.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

In Birmingham:

Earliest falling snow: 28 October 2008

Earliest lying snow: 28 - 29 October 2008

Latest falling snow: 7 May 1997

Latest lying snow: 13 April 1996

Posted

Snow is not uncommon here right thru the year, even during the summer months, where snow on occasion has settled to as low as the 6 or 700 metre mark. It usually melts away within a day or two, and it is usually followed by quite a warm long, settled period.

Hobart ( sealevel ) lies on the edge of Mount Wellington ( see webcam link )..and we have had Christmases in the past where the mountain has been snowcapped. Over the last 10 years, that has probably happened 3 times.

Latest in the season I have seen snow falling where I live, but not settling ( sealevel ) was October 28 2006 ( one month out from the unofficial start of summer ). It was described as the most severe weather event ever recorded so late in the year. On parts of Tasmania's east coast, snow settled on the beaches - some places had their first settled snow since the early 1970s ( for any time of the year ).

Earliest I have seen it snow in Hobart was last week of May 1989. Again, it didn't settle.

So spring to summer snow events appear to happen more frequently than summer thru to autumn at this latitude, as far as the last 2 or 3 decades are concerned.