Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2011/12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I assumed La Nina had peaked during mid-summer? but if not then I stand corrected.

She peaked at the start of last winter and after a rise in temps this spring/summer is now expected to gain strength yet again.

I GIVE UP! Trying to post a graph but it does not work. Take a look in the Byond Summer Thread.

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

May I introduce a good friend of mine..................WINTER!

24thaugust2011.gif

Brilliant, not even under -5C uppers.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rhavn724.gif

The big blob of precipitation over central Siberia is what will be the focus in coming days as it looks to stick around with cool uppers.

I can already feel that raw easterly! good.gifcold.gifcold.gifdrunk.gif

Can't wait.

2 months and easterlys already produce 10C statocumulas murk.

3-4 months and the easterlies become beasterlies!

I thought La Nina was expected to strengthen again and become even stronger than last year possibly?

The La Nina of 2010 was the 2nd strongest in recorded history.

While La Nina is forecast to strengthen (not always a bad thing), it is forecast to be moderate at this time.

Posted

Well our new snow patch in Siberia is holding fast, not much change other wise today :-)

25thaugust2011.gif

Posted

2 months and easterlys already produce 10C statocumulas murk.

3-4 months and the easterlies become beasterlies!

For me, the first half of winter, we really should just Look North for cold snowy weather, I know Easterlies can bring cold and snow in November like last year did but its a much more of a struggle and we don't get the full force of them really. January and February and even early March is when the Easterlies pack a punch in particular.

An Easterly in October can still produce a bright showery mix if the air is unstable enough, admittedly we may need more of a ENE-NE'ly but with the North Sea quite warm in October, you don't need much cold air to create an unstable airmass. Of course, snow is more or less ruled out unless we get a stright Northerly and the upper air temps over the Arctic are potent enough.

Posted

Hi guys!

well, we've lost some of that small patch at the far east of russia, but there is a new very thin line of snow running north south at middle eastern north russia.

27thaugust2011.gif

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted

For me, the first half of winter, we really should just Look North for cold snowy weather, I know Easterlies can bring cold and snow in November like last year did but its a much more of a struggle and we don't get the full force of them really. January and February and even early March is when the Easterlies pack a punch in particular.

An Easterly in October can still produce a bright showery mix if the air is unstable enough, admittedly we may need more of a ENE-NE'ly but with the North Sea quite warm in October, you don't need much cold air to create an unstable airmass. Of course, snow is more or less ruled out unless we get a stright Northerly and the upper air temps over the Arctic are potent enough.

I like getting a cold northerly in October as it can feel genuinely cold, but i never really look for snow then. Like snow in April, i consider it more of a novelty.

In regards to the first half of winter, i think i may benefit from being further inland because i have never had problems in regards to cold/snow. You are correct that the real chiller does usually happen in the second half of the winter.

Posted

Here's today's and area of snowfall in eastern siberia :-)

28thaugust2011.gif

Have you got a link to these maps and is there an archive section.

Sorry, I didn't see your post .

Here's the archive section of the site :-)

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/gif_archive.html

Posted

Morning all! Nice new little area in between the Lena and Ob rivers in far northern russia :-)

29thaugust2011.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

Morning all! Nice new little area in between the Lena and Ob rivers in far northern russia :-)

29thaugust2011.gif

Do I see some white dots on the Alps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Yay

Just been looking for this Thread. ( Feels like winter is on its way oddly? )

Last years was fun, lets hope this is better!

And so it begins!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Wonder if we'll start seeing white dots in the Highlands soon? good.gif

Posted

Definitely re-freezing right up north now.

http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/latest/noaa1.jpg

Wonder if we'll start seeing white dots in the Highlands soon? good.gif

Someone on another thread was saying that there was/may have been snow on Cairngorm yesterday, I think.

Posted

Morning!

Afew new very small patches in north east russia again today, nothing to speak of though.

We must be on the verge of the main block falling (eastern block? ehem?!) there was already a bit a round this time last year.

30thaugust2011.gif

1stsept20101.gif

(this was on the first of september last year)

Posted

I actually think we are doing better than last year overall because there is a clear area in the east where snow is spreading with each run.

At this time of year i would rather it was spread out to cool a larger area even if there are some gaps.

Posted

Definitely re-freezing right up north now.

http://www.arctic.no...atest/noaa1.jpg

Someone on another thread was saying that there was/may have been snow on Cairngorm yesterday, I think.

Watched a video on the site you have taken this image from it.The video shows really fast the snow and ice conditions through the summer from day to day.What was cool to watch was the rapid melt from mid july or so ,check it out.

Edited by greybing

Posted

Morning guys!

Well today we see the same patch as last year in almost exactly the same place at exactly the same time as last year in the far north of Russia.

Hopefully, there'll be some link in snowfall patterns to winter weather, that's what i'm hoping anyways.

And if this is true, then we should get a winter almost identlicle to last?

31staugust2011.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Keep up the good work Cyclonic one. good.gif

Here's hoping for a similar winter to the last few with some snow and ice to talk about.

The trends are there I suppose and if anything we're currently cooler now than we were in most recent years, so "food for thought"

Thanks again.

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

The Difference with that snow patch compared to last year is that it is slightly bigger than last year and its a day earlier :p