Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cyclonic happiness

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2011/12

1,076 posts in this topic

Well, it's that time of the year again where we can look forward to the autumn and to watch the developement of the snow and ice as it spreads back towards us this autumn and winter.

Last year I started this thread on the last day of August, but I have a feeling that we may start a little earlier this year so I'm starting it now blum.gif

Here is today's picture.

I have highlighted the one pixle of snow that has fallen since yesterday in eastern Russia (well, it's start isn't it? :D)

snowcover13thaugust20111.gif

I will update this thread every day in the mornings!

Let's hope for a little more of this winter!!!

3rddec2010.gif

7 people like this

Winter is definitely on its way now! :D

I love this, this was fun to look at last year :D

Am looking forward to the updates :p

Hope so.....summers been dire so far.... bbq in march..... 33c beginning last month..... november snow 4 sure..... my birthday please....10th nov.....

Yippee! I've been checking the forum for the last few weeks, waiting for this thread to return.

Thanks ch, its great to watch winter moving in

Yes! I loved this thread last year! Love that second picture as well with the UK snowed in, let's hope there are no specks of green this year :D

AS the person responsible for the maintenance on 3200 properties across 600 sq miles of the lake district I do not want all the things that winter brings

Tom

Well well well, this morning's picture shows that there are rather a few more spots in eastern Russia than yesterday, so maybe the hunch has paid off?

14thaugust20111.gif

Yippee! I've been checking the forum for the last few weeks, waiting for this thread to return.

Thanks ch, its great to watch winter moving in

Thanks for all your suppost guys, I never could have imagined it would be so popular :)

Yep love this thread, welcome back.

Excellent, it will be interesting watching the progress of the ice and snow over the coming months as we head towards winter yet again. :)

Yes, good to see this thread back, ch. I believe good NH snow cover is another important building block that increases our own chances this winter.

Great thread, loved it last year. Here comes the snow!

So glad this thread is back, like many on here I loved it last year, looking foward to watching winter roll in :)

will be adding to my favorites

I am so glad to see my favourite thread come back!

Thank you cc

Karyo

As with others, great thread and good to see that winter is arriving in Siberia.

Any weather stations in that region?

Modeling indicates no major snow in the next week although on high ground it may be possible.

Its that time of year already,great thread, I will follow most days.

Not an awful lot of change today, but no melt back of our first little pixles :D

I checked a map of Russia yesterday and the first patches of snow have fallen on a mountain range which is to be expected I imagine.

Anyways, here you go................

15thaugust2011.gif

2 people like this

Actually ch, looks like there has been some fresh snow in Canada!

15thaugust2011Edit.gif

Great to see this thread, although it seems strange that we are looking for winter in the summer when in the Southern Hemisphere Auckland has had it's first snow today since the 1930's!

since the format of this forum has changed i can no longer see links or pics etc?????

since the format of this forum has changed i can no longer see links or pics etc?????

Really? I'm not sure why not, I host picture via photobucket, so there shouldn't be a problem? maybe PM a mod and ask if there's setting that should be enabled or something?

Interesting today to see that we may have a little ice recovery already around baffin island and the coast of greenland, either that or the ice is just flushing though and moving around.

Be interesting to see what the forum thinks?

Here's today's pic' with yesterdays for comparison.

16thaugust2011.gif

15thaugust2011.gif

Looks like new ice to me as there is nowhere it could have come from in such as short period of time, and there is no apparent loss from anywhere else.