Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your Favourite Local TV Weather Presenter/Forecaster

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Of course, not forgetting the ladies, NW's very own Michael Fish....

Thanks and a lovely 'classic' he is too, but those of us on the right side of 50 may prefer a newer model ...

post-10773-0-25061700-1311415063_thumb.j

post-10773-0-52995700-1311415079_thumb.j

post-10773-0-61401900-1311415098_thumb.j

Posted

Thanks and a lovely 'classic' he is too, but those of us on the right side of 50 may prefer a newer model ...

I'm sure Ian will be flattered! http://forum.netweather.tv/user/8233-ian-fergusson/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I'm sure Ian will be flattered!

blush.gif

I forgot to add Chris Fawkes...

post-10773-0-08350100-1311417848_thumb.j

and looking North...Paul Hudson aint 'arf hot !!

post-10773-0-75592200-1311417916_thumb.j

....but of course I only watch the forecasts for the weather not the presenters ... wink.gif

Posted

ianmccaskill.jpg

Ian McCaskill memorable for me. I also agree, I would never argue when Laura Tobin is on air! But to be honest, not a real fan of any of the new ones now Rob mccelwee has left. Our local forecaster isn't all to great to be honest.

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

None of the presenters in my region have any meteorological background and therefore all make the same basic errors in terminology and interpretation of the forecast. Thankfully the lamentable Des Coleman is no longer presenting the weather as he was in a league of his own for meteorological ineptitude.

Posted

Fred the weather man.

He hasn't fallen in the Albert Dock for a while, but recently he did tell me (and countless others) to 'Have a good evening, because you deserve it.'

Not much of a choice to be honest, hardly ever watch Granada local news or weather and I have notice BBC Northwest have brought in fresh blood, thankfully with fewer appearance by the atrocious Eno Eurotor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

None of the presenters in my region have any meteorological background and therefore all make the same basic errors in terminology and interpretation of the forecast. Thankfully the lamentable Des Coleman is no longer presenting the weather as he was in a league of his own for meteorological ineptitude.

You would think that presenters without a meteorological background would either be given some kind of training in how to present the weather or have the forecast worded for them by someone else.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

You would think that presenters without a meteorological background would either be given some kind of training in how to present the weather or have the forecast worded for them by someone else.

I'm sure they do have training in how to present the weather but with no basic grounding on the subject, and with license to interpret their briefings from the Met' Office, it's not surprising that they fall well short of the professionals. For starters none of them seem to have any concept as to how a modest change in altitude affects the local weather and they seem unable to interpret ( or don't look at ) the latest rainfall radar before coming on air.

It's rather like me being given training in how to explain the workings of the modern car engine; I could stand up and make the appropriate noises, embellished with a scattering of terminology, but if confronted with a real engine I wouldn't have much of a clue as to how the theory related to it and any trained mechanic would be holding their head in their hands and groaning.

Posted

Well I can't believe nobody mentioned Derek Brokaway the bbc's Welsh weather forecaster, he is one of the bes, I may be biased but he's got a very warming and local feel and is also a big snow and cold lover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Lisa Gallagher knows her stuff....

post-1669-0-42010700-1311448676_thumb.jp

Would look a lot better without Paul Hudson pic across her chest.

Posted

Not much of a choice to be honest, hardly ever watch Granada local news or weather and I have notice BBC Northwest have brought in fresh blood, thankfully with fewer appearance by the atrocious Eno Eurotor

I see Kaye Forster has recently moved our screens from other climes (I thought the name rang a bell). She seems okay. Eno Eruotor is pretty hapless, but I do feel sorry for her because she's enthusiastic and genuinely seems like a nice person. I'd take her over Des Coleman any day (I thought he was a fake when I first saw his forecasts on YouTube - how on earth did he manage to get to present the weather?!).

I'm not sure what's happened to NW Tonight mainstay Dianne Oxberry. Is she taking a hiatus or is she gone for good? She's alright, but as a cold lover in winter her mild ramping can really get on my nerves.

Posted

I'm not sure what's happened to NW Tonight mainstay Dianne Oxberry.

Looks like 'our' Kaye Forster is stepping in for her while she takes a break (initially suggested as ending June 2011)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1478007

Here is a listing of all the BBC presenters, which doesn't look right up to date:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/about/newsid_8480000/8480772.stm

Just how did Simon Parkin get from kids TV to ITV Meridian weather forecasts?

http://www.thebroomcupboard.co.uk/page6.html

simon-parkin.jpg

Posted

I don't rate our bbc northwest presenters. Heather is ok who does the morning/midday bulletins. Diane Oxbury is very good at presenting but I don't really like her style and sometimes I feel she doesn't seem to care and is a lover of all things mild and dry - she hates snow and cold in the winter.

As for Eno Eurotor - oh dear she just makes me laugh, she endlessly messes up her lines, indeed it is rare for her not to a slip up. However, she does have a bright warm presenting style and doesn't let her own preferences dominate.

The new lady I do rate - I hope she takes over Diane. She is rather old school in her presenting style and tells things as they are.

Living in Newcastle for many years I miss the likes of Paul Moony and the other girl who used to do it a few years back, I don't know much about Hannah. Recently I was in Wales and I did like the male presenter - he had lots of personality and a local edge.

I do wish they were more accurate with there forecasts - the Isle of Man always seems to be shown as colder than the rest of the NW in the depths of winter - when it is normally the mildest place. Indeed the temp graphics are very inaccurate - I've lost time they show central southern cumbria as seeing mildest weather when again it is normally the coldest part of the region. The NE weather is much better for Cumbria as it covers most of Cumbria whereas NW news only covers far south of the county, it is very poor when the weather is coming in from the northeast and north, look north is much better. Indeed it frustrates me that I have to put up with the NW forecasts as opposed to look north ones - last nov/dec was particularly painful as all the action was in the NE and I felt I was missing out on seeing all those reports of heavy snow.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Fred the weather man is the best weather man EVER to appear on television.

Seriously, I like Fred, he's a nice guy, and tells the weather as it is.

I see Kaye Forster has recently moved our screens from other climes (I thought the name rang a bell). She seems okay. Eno Eruotor is pretty hapless, but I do feel sorry for her because she's enthusiastic and genuinely seems like a nice person. I'd take her over Des Coleman any day (I thought he was a fake when I first saw his forecasts on YouTube - how on earth did he manage to get to present the weather?!).

I'm not sure what's happened to NW Tonight mainstay Dianne Oxberry. Is she taking a hiatus or is she gone for good? She's alright, but as a cold lover in winter her mild ramping can really get on my nerves.

She will most likely be back for winter.

Quote from another forum:

Dianne is on leave until July, her cover is former BBC South East Today weather presenter Kaye Forster.

The NWT webpage still has Dianne's bio: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006pfjx

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Fred the weather man is the best weather man EVER to appear on television.

Seriously, I like Fred, he's a nice guy, and tells the weather as it is.

Fred talbot he does the weather on itv central from time to time has me in bits

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

_46927046_petercockroft.jpg

Peter joined BBC London in 2002 and can be seen forecasting the weather for the capital on the two main news programmes at lunchtime and in the evening..

one of my favourite forecasters is Peter Cockroft

-

_47415376_isobellang.jpgand a female favourite here Isobel Lang

She began work as a forecaster based at the London Weather Centre where her duties included preparing forecasts for the press and presenting the weather on local radio.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm