Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

20 July 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast, Discussion And Reports

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

20 minutes after it started it's eased up, minor flooding half way down the road due to a lack of good drainage, brighter skies now coming over from the North East

Posted

Looking forward to the trough moving South during tomorrow.

However I wonder if there's a chance of something cropping up in the West Country this afternoon, we've had a period of heavy rain

and with the sun beginning to break through it has turned quite steamy. The humidity is high, there's a lot of water to be evaporated

and LOW pressure is very much in control.

Certainly not a definite by any means, but I think something to watch for during the afternoon hours even if it turns out to be just

a few scattered heavy showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Its stopped raining here now and its turned cool and clammy thanks to that North Sea low cloud. A bit of a disappointment, although I wasn't expecting much today. Hopefully I'll see something in Florida to make up for it, I'm off there for 3 weeks in the morning :D

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Its stopped raining here now and its turned cool and clammy thanks to that North Sea low cloud. A bit of a disappointment, although I wasn't expecting much today. Hopefully I'll see something in Florida to make up for it, I'm off there for 3 weeks in the morning :D

Guess what.. You will get to the airport and be delayed by heavy thunderstorms :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Guess what.. You will get to the airport and be delayed by heavy thunderstorms :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I know someone who was diverted to Jacksonville instead of Orlando because of thunderstorms last year and they had a 5 hour coach journey on the end of the 9 hour flight. Not nice!

Fingers crossed I'll be fine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Looking at the radar loop it appeasr that everything is rotating around Lincoln. Some South of the Humber would say that everything revolves around Lincoln :whistling:

There are a few echoes in Lincs and these are either stationary or moving East. Am at work at the mo (Doncaster) but it looks like it is raining at home in Bev.

Posted

Hi Brian, fingers crossed for today! Shame we missed out yesterday after the potential and amount of rain. Have you seen any thunderstorms yet this year, only one ive seen was in Barcelona, not had one here in York since 2009 so heres hoping for today :drinks:

Hope your well

Vizzy2004

If they do hit you can you send them the 15/20 miles south down the A19 to me please :D

Posted

Look North weather says heavy showers no thunder.

I know someone who was diverted to Jacksonville instead of Orlando because of thunderstorms last year and they had a 5 hour coach journey on the end of the 9 hour flight. Not nice!

Fingers crossed I'll be fine.

I had a job in Orlando 2 years ago so was there the full summer. This next 3 week spell was the most thundery of the lot when I was over there, tropical waves etc can lead to some great storms, though be aware when hitting theme parks, hit the outdoor rides early. The ride I worked at closed completely when it rained or a storm was coming in, at times it led to us being closed for as much as 6 hours when storm after storm kept hitting us.

Being a storm fan of course I loved it and I was the first volunteer to get the waterproofs on and head outside. We used to play the "how many times will lightning hit the Epcot ball game". Remember being very close to a lightning strike when it hit our building, I was stood outside. The lightning from Florida storms is ridiculous, pretty much none stop. In 3 weeks you should get at least 10-15 storms I would say, equally, we went on holiday there one summer and didn't get one, but I've never had that since.

Back to today in the UK, seems it's all too far away from me today (although those showers just north of Hull are moving west so if they keep moving it could make for a good drive home) and I missed the Doncaster storms yesterday as I work in West Yorkshire, just my luck. Noticeable last night that all the moss had come up from between the paving on the front, such was the heaviness of the rain, not seen that since the floods in 2007. That saved us a job anyway :)

Edited by DonnyRover

Posted

Looking forward to the trough moving South during tomorrow.

:clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

If they do hit you can you send them the 15/20 miles south down the A19 to me please :D

No sorry mate Selby always seem to get some exciting weather when we miss out so il keep em here today thanks :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Cant see the storm potential for tomorrow. Looks like plain heavy showers with the trough. Very limited if any decent storm ingredients there imo.

Posted

It looks like remaining dry and cloudy here, which is totally different from the earlier forecast :rolleyes:

Too far South for the PPN it seems.

Posted

No sorry mate Selby always seem to get some exciting weather when we miss out so il keep em here today thanks :lol:

Haven't had a direct storm since 2009 and only storms I saw last year where ones way off to the North so dont know whose been telling you we get exciting weather :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

Just been sent to me from a collegue at Coventry Airport. Happened about an hour ago.

EGBE 201320Z 33005KT 300V360 9999 VCSH VCFC SCT028 SCT042 FEW040CB 16/11 Q1008

post-3325-0-62956000-1311171920_thumb.jp

Posted

Just been sent to me from a collegue at Coventry Airport. Happened about an hour ago.

That's a beautiful funnel cloud, thanks for sharing it.

Seems I may have been a little optimistic for the West Country's chances this pm, a few drizzly bits here and there and some

good towers building but not producing yet.

Posted

Nice!!! :clap: For those that don't understand METARS, here is the translation:

METAR EGBE 20th @ 1320Z, wind from 330 at 5 KT, winds varying from 300 to 360, visibility unlimited, Weather: vicinity shower vicinity funnel cloud, Sky: scattered at 2800, scattered at 4200, few clouds at 4000 cumulonimbus, temperature 16, dewpoint 11, altimeter 1008 mb

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Nice capture! Winds very light and variable across the Midlands atm, but there must be some local convergence to create these funnels. Only light showers in the area currently.

Heavy showers over Nern England, but no sferics yet this afternoon, I guess lack of insolation is not helping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Nice capture! Winds very light and variable across the Midlands atm, but there must be some local convergence to create these funnels. Only light showers in the area currently.

Heavy showers over Nern England, but no sferics yet this afternoon, I guess lack of insolation is not helping.

From what I can see, there are 4 across more southern areas of the UK at the moment, including one in the Thames Estuary...erroneous?

Posted

Am having a laugh at myself, having given a heads up for this area and then ruled it out a check of the NW radar

zoomed to my postcode (BA12) reveals some heavy showers breaking out in the last 45 minutes. They are very slow

moving in an E-W or NE-SW direction while lighter rain towards the S coast is moving W-E, all this suggesting a

LOW centre is sat somewhere over Wiltshire/Berkshire/Hampshire.

There are some breaks in the cloud overhead and, while showers are moving E-W ish the lower clouds here are moving

in the opposite direction!

Edited by Andy Bown

Posted

Very interesting. I'm only about 16 miles north of Coventry and prior to your image of the funnel cloud over Coventry, the skies over here were peppered with mammatus.

I thought something looked a bit suss at that point but apart from a short spell of moderate rain, nothing else of interest to note.

post-8209-0-38218600-1311177169_thumb.jp post-8209-0-31237500-1311177197_thumb.jp

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Some heavy showers seem to be making their way over the Pennines towards the NW.

Posted

Looks like you might be right Andy about maybe something in the west,very dark here have had to put lights on,there are clouds here that look alot like mammantus but not 100% sure,do mammantus have any connection to thunderstorms?

Posted

Typical weather yesterday the storms were to the East and today the heavy rain is to the West..