Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

17 July 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast, Discussion And Reports

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I have been waiting for a shower to pass over Washington for the pasr 25 minutes but it seems to have joined the main line stretching from Bamburgh, Just looked out to my west and can see heavy rain shafts and fairly large towers going up. This may just be heavy convective rainfall when it passes over but hopefully it will get it's act in to gear and let off some electricity!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just had the first torrential downpour of the afternoon. Had my iPod so didn't hear any thunder (if indeed there was any)

Posted

Just had that one here Ross...although not a direct hit it was close enough..got 4 rumbles and 3 good flashes of lightning from it..one directly above my house with the explosion of thunder straight after it.

Moved away now though. :(

Nice one - looks like it's heading down to the Kilmarnock area now for more of a direct hit. Oh well, I'm used to this :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Torrential downpour in Newcastle for the last half hour, flooded roads once again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Ill tell you summat for free.

You lot up north are having a great summer for storms.

Had nothing round here, Just patch rain all summer.

Fingers crossed for later but as ever, not holding my breath

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

One thinks its about to rain. Heavily.

Posted

Scotlands had the best of the storms as the Low's have been fortunately placed for them, to enable the convective showers around the region of forcing to be funneled in that general direction. Not to mention putting into play moisture inhibition with Glasgow and Edinburgh just 30 miles apart, adding into that topographic lift.

I've missed out on nearly 99% this year (no exaggeration) i've seen storms over Cheshire go North, storms firing over Kinder Scout and head into Sheffield, seen London get hit yet been absolutely dry here. And now Scotland seeing multiple days of severe storms last week and again not a raindrop for myself, but am I disappointed..nope..because noone knows what tomorrow is going to bring, and given the weather is a fluid mechanism its just a case of luck/bad luck than thinking its anything to do with your personality or such superstition.

Getting back on track though the NW Radar on the 4hr accumulation for today shows the LP precip loop quite well, aswell as showing where the high totals are going to be for the remainder of today.

Posted

Another torrential downpour just clearing through, again nothing thundery.

Things are going in the right direction, but it is looking like sferics could be very isolated at best. GFS CAPE/LI figures are the right side of zero but quite feable, there's nothing of a CZ to speak of, sunshine is very limited because of the shower activity...all rather meh to be honest. But, 3-7pm is 'the' time period for sferics traditionally (however NE England/S Scotland bucking that trend as ever) so shall wait patiently :D

Posted

Just went out for a walk with my lassie..as the storm moved away it seemed to intensify..we headed towards the top of a hill where we would get a good view.

Walking up....right in front of us...MASSIVE CG with ear shattering thunder 3 seconds after it..was pretty scary TBH being so close.

We got to the top of the hill but couldnt see any more lightning..it was worth it though just to see that strike. :)

Posted

Just went out for a walk with my lassie..as the storm moved away it seemed to intensify..we headed towards the top of a hill where we would get a good view.

Walking up....right in front of us...MASSIVE CG with ear shattering thunder 3 seconds after it..was pretty scary TBH being so close.

We got to the top of the hill but couldnt see any more lightning..it was worth it though just to see that strike. :)

Sounds like a classic positive CG to me :D can't beat them IMO!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Cloudy and showery in Cleadon, just missed that torrential downpour that hit Newcastle, looks like the sferics are mainly out to the west of this line of heavy showers so it'll be a case of seeing if they keep their electrification.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

storm shield at 100% its either further north or down south oh well never mind

Posted

Afternoon all.

Are we in for something down here? My AM radio is picking up strikes at the rate of 3 per minute, that generally means within a 10 mile radius but so far I've not seen or heard anything remotely interesting other than all to frequent moderate showers!

Posted

First storm of the year here. Torrential for about 10 minutes. Lots of rumbles but no lightning seen due to very poor visibility.

now had lightning and a loud clap.

Edited by Wivenswold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

WOAH Torrential Rain Here with thunder which is very loud and lightning and ive just had one of the clearest lightning ive had in my life!

Its every 1minuite here this is unbelievable!

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

NW Wales is gonna get some flooding at this rate.

Looks like some serious amounts of rain..

Posted

Afternoon all,More heavy rain in the early hours here,The road opposite my house is flooded and vehicles are lining up because the right side of the road is really deep but the wrong side is more shallow so vehicles are taking it turns to get through,Hoping for some thundery weather today but not holding my breath,think the North and Scotland will hog it all again,Can only hope,Good luck all.

Guest Quantumsnow

Several torrential downpours here this morning/afternoon, few strikes starting to show up in the SE now :)

Posted

Big clap of thunder just now!

Another rumble of thunder and now extreme rainfall.:shok:

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

The thunder is like a constant drum!

Posted

Black skies rolling in...will this deliver a rumble???

Slight element of shear, lower clouds moving in different direction to higher level clouds...either way looks as if it's going to pour down!