Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

10 July 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast, Discussion And Reports

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Just picking up rain from the gauge and there was a big crack of thunder approx central Lancs. That was a surprise, nithing rumbling earlier. Looking very black that direction.

Posted

Any one wanna bet Edinburgh gets battered again today? :/ I thought the south was meant to get storms more then the north. haha seems that in recent years the storms have been up north.

as much as i like a good storm, im actualy hoping we we dont get anything today, for sammies sake aswell.

edinburgh for some reason cant cope with severe weather as has been proven over the years.

im not complaining about getting a storm,far from it,i think we sometimes forget how damaging they can be.

Best of luck sammie :)

Meanwhile another dry start here. Once again I'm foolishly hopeful of a rumble today, even though it is further east that is forecast to get the best of it once again. Still, if the British weather has one thing going for it, it is the element of surprise. Just ask those in the Scottish capital!

Posted

Hope those showers over N Wales track this way. Already some torrential downpours N and W of Leeds.

I can vouch for that, absolutly tipping it down! No thunder yet though..

Posted

I can vouch for that, absolutly tipping it down! No thunder yet though..

And yet to the east of Leeds its blue sky above haha, weather can be strange at times :-D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

From all the charts above it looks like we cannot escape here today, although we probably will! Everything seems to point to this part of the country having about the highest potential and, indeed, we have already had our first shower of the day (not heavy) and now the sun is coming out again.

The current temperature is 15.8°C and rising and the Td is 12.2°C, so it is very humid (79%). The wind is also almost non-existant from the NW.

Let's see what today brings: we have had storms the last two days but they have not really been direct hits and we missed a massive storm on Thursday that went over Holderness by a whisker, so I guess we are overdue for a direct hit. I will miss any action today though as I shall be in a swimming pool in Hull, where the noise level is such that you cannot hear yourself think dry.gif

Temp now up to 16.2°C and the humidity has also risen to 80%. Quirky!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Had a Thundery shower around 9am this morning, produced a couple of CG's and some awsome crackly type thunder :) classic surface based stuff :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

can hear some close sferics which are increasing in frequency, don't know where they are coming from though, anyone know?

Posted

I'd say your literally im the prime spot Muffelchen, the charts seem to zero in on the Beverley area...good luck

Posted

Sky now clearing and the sun is out. As a result the temp has shot up to 17.5°C and the humidity has remained at 79%. Have also now heard my first sferic on the radio, although it was not that loud so probably fairly distant.

There is a mass of showers now marching eastwards across the Pennines (asource of sferic?) which would seem to have our name on them it seems. If they hold together they should be here in a couple of hours.

Starting to look promising again for a storm I must say.

Edited by Muffelchen

Posted

I'd say your literally im the prime spot Muffelchen, the charts seem to zero in on the Beverley area...good luck

What's coming across the Pennines looks to have your name on it too and you get first shot :good:

Keep me in the loop......

Posted

can hear some close sferics which are increasing in frequency, don't know where they are coming from though, anyone know?

Chris. It's looked black south of here all morning and the odd clap of thunder from over there. I reckon big shower clouds have moved from the sea up through the Ribble valley or over Rossendale and now are now piling up over the Pennines.

Good bright blue patches to north, but much thermal activity there too producung some interesting clouds.

Posted

very nice.looking at the cloud structure there,could that be classed as some sort of super cell?

There were reports of a funnel cloud with the storm as well at about 2.30 though if it was that cell or the cell before it I'm not sure. It does look VERY American in structure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Thanks Rainy so everything northeast of me then. Any chance for me from anything coming in off the irish sea?

Posted

I dont think i will see any today but what a great last few days here so that make my storms up to 3 so far this year but that could be my last time here :whistling:

Posted

There were reports of a funnel cloud with the storm as well at about 2.30 though if it was that cell or the cell before it I'm not sure. It does look VERY American in structure.

i can remember watching the second storm and seeing the clouds rotating and they looked like they were being sucked upwards(very intresting to watch) but im new to all this and still learning so didnt want to jump to any conclusions.but it did have a very american look to it ,from what ive seen on t.v anyway lol

Posted

Temperature now up to 18.8°C and the humidity has dropped a bit to 72% but that is still quite a lot of water vapour to provide energy for storm development later.

That group of showers over the Pennines (and now East of same) is holding together and I can now see TCu and anvils to the NW.

Still looking good .

Temp now 19.1°C and humidity 71%

Posted

What's coming across the Pennines looks to have your name on it too and you get first shot :good:

Keep me in the loop......

Will do mate..A large ridge of cloud has started to bubble up to my West as I type, doesnt look to be producing rain yet but I think as it heads towards you it could be the first of many as its looking rather ominus as the structure builds :)