Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

10 July 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast, Discussion And Reports

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Probably slightly less electrical activity tomorrow. I think East Anglia around the middle part of the day (11am- 3pm) would be a good bet, along with the east coast of England 12-6ish. For the rest of the UK I think Northern Ireland may cop some fairly heavy showers along with a zone east Wales across into the Midlands, maybe into southern parts of northern England too; though the main threat here will mostly just be a few heavy downpours rather than intense storms.

We shall see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Oh great.... another storm/convective forecast to build the hopes up before they inevitably get crushed into the dirt....again. :rolleyes:

OK so I sound like a right whinger but many posters have had more than their fair share this summer...some of us...well its just a few of us now...have seen and heard NOTHING.:whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Nothing's forecast for me tomorrow , I think as CreweCold has mentioned it's more for the Eastern side again! I thought I'd see something today but sadly nothing happened again. Oh well, back to the NSC for me. :(

Posted

I have put together a storm risk map for tomorrow. Base map courtesy of map-of-uk.com :)

See below

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

I have put together a storm risk map for tomorrow. Base map courtesy of map-of-uk.com :)

See below

Thank you CreweCold.

Sadly I'm just under the yellow box so I guess Its just light showers or drizzle for me again lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Im just in red i think but once again will be radar watching

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

I'm not quite in the amber box :D

I demand the NE give back the storms which should be in the East tease.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

I have drawn up a convective risk chart-these are my thoughts based on GFS 18z data.

lets take a look at some of the models charts first.

we have some unstable air around-enough for some action!

post-11361-0-60494100-1310252993_thumb.g-lifted index 12pm

post-11361-0-39665100-1310252991_thumb.g-lifted index 6pm

some pockets of high dew points

post-11361-0-02722500-1310252989_thumb.g-dew points 3pm

and some ground heating to bubble up those clouds!

post-11361-0-09745000-1310252998_thumb.g-surface temps 3pm

looking a bit bumpy on upper wind flows

post-11361-0-14897300-1310253004_thumb.g-upper winds

post-11361-0-14897300-1310253004_thumb.g-upper winds

post-11361-0-30992100-1310253008_thumb.guppers winds----note areas to the east-interesting

enough CAPE for some big cumulonimbus to grow..

post-11361-0-81655000-1310253232_thumb.g-12pm

post-11361-0-55989800-1310253065_thumb.g-CAPE 3pm

post-11361-0-58133400-1310253068_thumb.g-CAPE 6pm

cold upper temps-hail possible

post-11361-0-71803600-1310253000_thumb.g-upper temps at 500

The risk boxes

post-11361-0-99829600-1310253122_thumb.g-my convective risk chart!

Posted

I must be the only one hoping nothing happens. Still inches of standing water in places and with the rain over the last two days I seriously don't think the Edinburgh area can take anything more without there being more widespread flooding than has happened in the last two days. I would have been more than happy with one storm for the year but this is taking the micky, seriously storms other people deserve to enjoy you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

I must be the only one hoping nothing happens. Still inches of standing water in places and with the rain over the last two days I seriously don't think the Edinburgh area can take anything more without there being more widespread flooding than has happened in the last two days. I would have been more than happy with one storm for the year but this is taking the micky, seriously storms other people deserve to enjoy you!

it is a concern that more downpours are on the way for flooded areas, we would like storms but not flooded homes, its that balance of wanting and not wishing for to much, a storm can be severe without flooding though, but areas already had a lot of rains then a mild storm is more of a problem

Posted

Sorry you have suffered. A similar thing happened here 2007. A totally out of the blue storm towards the end of the day. Was so so spectacular though! Will never forget it. Here is the link to the blog on it......

http://images-of-cre...t-downpour.html

http://images-of-cre...h-flooding.html

I heard the fire brigade had to be called out to several places, mostly flooded houses I think.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Here is a couple of stills from Fridays storm day

The line of storm looked like they developed around the Seven valley and travelled to the E

Reported by Gord in Wordsley, travelling over Blizzard nr Stourbridge and crossing into W Birmingham over Warley Woods

They then crossed close to the W of the city centre and on to the E of Barr Beacon on to the communication towers at Sutton Coldfield

Ive tracked the storm on a time lapse and are still trying to process the 5000 odd frames( which is taking the computing power of a small country :wallbash: )

....But I`ll get there and share, sometime this week :pardon:

post-12214-0-80316200-1310257170_thumb.j

post-12214-0-72056600-1310257213_thumb.j

Noctilucent clouds(?) while i`m processing makes it easier :drinks:

post-12214-0-02913600-1310263519_thumb.j

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Any one wanna bet Edinburgh gets battered again today? :/ I thought the south was meant to get storms more then the north. haha seems that in recent years the storms have been up north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Any one wanna bet Edinburgh gets battered again today? :/ I thought the south was meant to get storms more then the north. haha seems that in recent years the storms have been up north.

Every time I've been to Edinburgh it's been gloriously sunny - perhaps I ought to move there unsure.gif

Posted some pics of yesterday evening's storm in the Photography forum - feeling quite chuffed that I managed to do that rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

I think that you are spot on, its only 9 am and the horizon is building already.. Never seen cells like this over Edinburgh in a decade + living here.

Posted

Awww crap. The flooding here is bad enough. We've already come within a baw hair of loosing the kitchen...the water still hasn't gone down outside the ground just can't take it any more. We've had a months worth of rain in within 6 hours over the last 2 days. Even a wee shower here is going to flood everything. Time to go up the road and get some sandbags me thinks.

Posted

Looks like the same area under consideration as yesterday then, with hopefully for those in Scotland, not as much rain:

post-6667-0-30491100-1310286236.png

Storm Forecast

Valid: Sun 10 Jul 2011 06:00 to Mon 11 Jul 2011 06:00 UTC

Issued: Sun 10 Jul 2011 05:18

Forecaster: SCHLENCZEK

A level 1 was issued for S/SE-central Europe mainly for large hail and to a lesser extent for severe wind gusts and excessive precipitation.

A level 1 was issued for the N Maghreb States mainly for large hail.

SYNOPSIS

A southwesterly upper level flow has established over most parts of SW to NE Europe between an upper high over the eastern Mediterranean and an upper trough over the northern North Sea. Warm and unstable air is located southeast of the frontal boundary which stretches from W Portugal via central France and E Germany towards the N Baltics. Vertical shear is only in order of 10 - 15 m/s in most places and therefore the potential of severe weather is tied to those regions where instability is highest.

post-6667-0-43829700-1310286429.png

Forecaster: Dan

Last Updated: 00:25 Sunday, 10th July 2011

Valid: 06:00 Sunday, 10th July 2011 - 05:59 Monday, 11th July 2011

Areas Affected:

N and E Scotland, NE England and Yorkshire (lower risk for remainder of Scotland, N England, inland Wales, E Midlands and East Anglia)

Synopsis:

On Sunday the country sits underneath an upper trough extending southwestwards from Scandinavia. Rather slack conditions will promote local convergence zones to develop, which will provide the main focus for convective potential.

Discussion:

Diurnal heating will allow a few hundred J/kg of CAPE to develop, creating an unstable atmosphere. Given T500's as low as -23C, steepening lapse rates will allow widespread convective showers to develop across northern and eastern Britain once again. With forecast ELT's as low as -40C in places, deep convection is expected with a few thunderstorms likely.

DLS is rather meagre, with up to 20kts expected along the east coast and limited LLS. Consequently, funnels and tornadoes are unlikely, although cannot be ruled out given the prescence of convergence zones.

Given the cold upper temperatures and predicted values of CAPE, hail is possible in some of the showers, and an isolated moderate-sized hail event cannot be ruled out, most likely over eastern Scotland. Gusty winds will accompany stronger downdrafts.

There is likely to be a distinct line of showers developing close the east coast of SE Scotland/E England during the afternoon along a convergence which may cause local flooding in any prolonged, slow moving downpours.

Over Northern Ireland and Eastern Ireland, unfavourable ELT's as a result of a dry layer in the mid levels precludes even a Watch threat level at this stage. Despite the fact that a few showers, locally heavy, are still expected here, thunder and lightning is unlikely.

Showers will decrease in coverage after sunset, slowest to decay over Scotland.

21OWS_ATLANTIC-EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_24.gif

21OWS_EUROPE_MODEL-DATA_UKMO-GLOBAL_TS-THREAT_SFC_18_00Z.png

PGNE14_CL_small.gif

cape.curr.1200lst.d2.png

30_24.gif

30_19.gif

gfs_layer_eur12.png

gfs_kili_eur12.png

MLCAPE higher than yesterday though:

gfs_spout_eur12.png

gfs_pw_eur12.png

Overall I would think less chance of something than yesterday.

post-6667-0-30491100-1310286236_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-43829700-1310286429_thumb.pn

Posted

Time to go up the road and get some sandbags me thinks.

Or a diving suit..... Sorry to hear your troubles, Sammie.