Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

9 July 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast, Discussion And Reports

Posted

It would be nice of you in the north to give us who are further south something to cheer about. Please arrange it. :whistling:

So, the risk seems far less widespread than yesterday. It'd be nice to get something though.

Posted

It would be nice of you in the north to give us who are further south something to cheer about. Please arrange it. :whistling:

So, the risk seems far less widespread than yesterday. It'd be nice to get something though.

wont be so widespread today but there will be some around

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Convection is on the UP again..

Fingers crossed for today.. Then again we do have a worsterly

Posted

It seems that a bit of convection is happening in the Peak District, looking at the radar. With the showers pretty much moving directly east, if something strong develops there I could be in luck today.

Posted

I see NE England at a high risk of thorms today...whats new? *yawn*

Must admit, the way it's going the NW stormchase team will be forgetting the USA & instead booking flights to Newcastle for next years Great Plains (of the North East) storm season...It's quickly becoming the Mecca of storms!

I can tell you not all of the NE is great lol, ive only seen 2 showers since May the grass has a deep brown colour its been that dry :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Just had a brief torrential rainstorm with a bit of hail mixed in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Look what's moving in from Carlisle towards the NE. Have been intensifying nicely but radar has gone on the blink so not sure now! Looking out towards my west can see the cloud starting to build look fairly stormy :rolleyes:

Edited by Paul-Michael

Posted

just had an email back from the METO,they wern't aware but have now informed their IT team.

so hopefully it will be back up shortly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

MetO 5 minute radar now working again on N-W showing that the cluster of showers around Carlisle still has a fair distance to travel. I can see some impressive Cb towers towards the west, which is presumably them.

Posted

MetO 5 minute radar now working again on N-W showing that the cluster of showers around Carlisle still has a fair distance to travel. I can see some impressive Cb towers towards the west, which is presumably them.

mines not Ian,it's stuck on 1210

Posted

mines not Ian,it's stuck on 1210

Mine's on 1220- maybe the refresh button might cure it?

Posted

Radar back up to date (currently on 1230), will be having words with the met-office about the level of service during the last few days, it's not good enough.

Posted

Radar back up to date (currently on 1230), will be having words with the met-office about the level of service during the last few days, it's not good enough.

i already have Paul lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Nothing cnovective here today at all. Just innocent cumulus and stratus clouds being blown along on quite a stiff breeze. Oh well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Dammit - large shower heading towards Norwich *hurtles outside to retrieve washing* dry.gif

Posted

Formula1 currently being affected by a small shower which has caused headaches for the drivers running on slicks. Intermediates going on next session as more heavier rain (confirmed by the NW Radar) is due.

Posted

2 big downpours today. Nice hearing it slap against the bivvy whilst out fishing staying dry! Fingers x'd for a storm later on this evening

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Ah, this old bean again....

The storm chance stuff is purely derived from GFS data. Modelling is not an exact science, otherwise forecasting would be clear-cut. A 51% chance of storms still gives a 49% chance of storms *not* happening. In fact, so many people moan about it, I wonder whether it's worth Netweather actually dropping this.

I am not a meteorologist, you're not a meteorologist, and this I know from your comment. Don't get me wrong, I understand your frustration, because I anticipate 90% of people who visit these storm threads actually want to see storms (myself included!), but such comments are pointless.

The UK is a small nation, yet can yield very changeable conditions dependant on location. A level 1 severe was issued for a lot of southern England by Estofex, which didn't see anything. I'm not going to slate their forecast though, namely because [a] that's within 40km of a point and check out the team of forecasters, with their Masters in meteo and PhDs in various meteorological (namely severe weather) subjects. Take, for example, Johannes Dahl's paper on lightning frequency - it certainly makes interesting reading, and plenty of fascinating equations for your perusal: http://edoc.ub.uni-m...hl_Johannes.pdf

This is by no way anything personal, but such comments really get on my nads.

Cheers,

Simon

Oh do keep up. I already know that i was just staing that i have not had much luck with storms this year. There are quite a few people in the same boat

2 big downpours today. Nice hearing it slap against the bivvy whilst out fishing staying dry! Fingers x'd for a storm later on this evening

Have you caught anything???