Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

19Th June 2005

Summer of 95

Posted

Can't believe this is 6 years ago- by far the best June day in recent years:

Following a steadily warming week the temperature got uop to about 28C on the Saturday, and unlike most warm spells since there was plenty of sunshine to go with it.

Sunday dawned clear and warm, and at about this time of day it was nearing 30C and I decided to go out to watch the cricket down the pub (it was thinking about doing the same now and realising it's Sunday June 19th again that prompted me to write this!), and walking down it was blazing hot and a touch muggy, but still sunny. At about 3pm we were all suddenly distracted from the cricket by thunder and lightning, and a few of us went outside to see it absolutely hammering it down, with T/L about every 10 seconds. This continued for an hour or so, before this storm delivered its real signature of the biggest hail I can remember: easily 2cm diameter, and coming down at a tremendous rate. By now some local roads were flooding and the temperature had dropped noticeably, though it was still warm. The hail lasted over half an hour, and the rain, thunder and lightning carried on till about 8pm.

Walking home at 10pm- still in daylight it was so much cooler it was hard to believe it was the same day. It had dropped to about 16C, yet the heat started up again on Monday and continued till the end of what became a superb month.

It turned out that there was widespread thunder, lighning, hail from the Midlands and Wales all the way to Yorkshire, seemingly caused by a cold front hitting the warm air (why does this never give thunder here nowadays?)- one of the best days for weather I can remember in the last 10-15 years.

Posted

Incredibly, nearly 200 miles away, we had an almost identical day. Hot and sunny morning, a peak temperature of 26.6º at 2pm, followed by the most memorable thunderstorm and hail. I actually took some pictures of the giant hail - I've seen nothing like it before or since - and the stones were up to 40mm, and 25-30mm with regularity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i dont remember individual days but June 2005 is almost the perfect summer month..yet it is often forgoten

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Remember it well, I'd been out in Northumberland in the heat, and hit the thunderstorms on the way home - they rumbled on all evening, and the ground was white at times with the hail as though it had been snowing. Probably the best thunderstorm I've ever seen in the UK. I know North Yorkshire and parts of County Durham were worst affected.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Remember it well, first year in uni, sat out all Sunday afternoon reading. Went to Castle Howard on the Monday with some uni friends (was at York Uni). The Monday was fantastic and hot, not a cloud in the sky all day!

• 8 years later...
Posted

15 years ago today. I remember it well, a hot and humid Sunday afternoon followed by a massive thunderstorm with monsoon rain and hail in the afternoon.

2005 was a decent year storm wise, we had 3 big ones off the top of my head, one around the early May Bank Holiday, 19th June and also an absolute monster on the 31st of August that year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

The 2nd half of this month was almost the perfect 'half' summer month (the first half was actually quite cool).  There seemed to be 3 thundery peaks to this event.. the 19th, 24th and 28th.  The 24th I'm sure is when the SW had the humdinger of a storm that flooded Glastonbury.  We had good storms on the 24th and 28th and most days from mid month were warm or hot, but the weekend of 25/26 was not so good from memory

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I remember the 19th - hot, steamy and sunny. A beautiful weekend down here!

Indeed, the 24th was the day we had about 5 separate thunderstorms cross the area between 4am and 4pm. Then the 28th storms were much more severe and dramatic but moved through within a few hours in the evening. A great period of weather!

Posted

For some reason summer 2005 just doesn’t stick out for me. I recall a London thunderstorm in the evening and constant flashing heading north of London around 10pm. Think that was late june and a weeknight. 

Apart from that, I remember some sunny and warm days in August, but also wet and cloudy weather during July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

I remember this weekend very well, not sure if I can recall weather as humid as what we saw in Hull on that Sunday. The evening turned very dark thanks to the storms to my north-west but we missed them here. Not sure what was worse, missing on the huge storms or seeing all the Michelin F1 cars withdraw from the US grand prix, leaving the Ferraris to get their easiest win they will ever get.

A good summer though with a fair few storms, especially at the end of August.

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted

I remember Sunday 19th June 2005 very well.  I went to see Green Day perform at the National Bowl, Milton Keynes in the sweltering heat!  Slightly different 15 years later, although next week could be nearly as hot.

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Remember that Sunday 19th June very well. I was living just outside of Glossop in Derbyshire at the time. It was a glorious warm/hot day but a thunderstorm literally rolled up the valley from down Marple way from memory. My poor dog was watching it from the lounge window but ran off yelping when a big bolt landed fairly close to the house!