Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn Thoughts And Predictions (Discussion Thread) Feel Free To Discuss Your Favourite Things About Autumn

8 members have voted

1. 1. What type of Autumn are you expecting this year

• Cold and wet
    • Mild and wet
    • Dry and cool/cold
    • Dry and mild
    • A similar one to last year
    • Mixed
    • Average
    • other(if there is any other)

Posted

With Summer so far being a disappointment for many, I thought I would make an Autumn thread. IMHO, I am more excited about the prospects of Autumn than the summer(if you call it that) that we are having. I think it is safe to say June 2011 will not be a memorable one, but there is still July and August, while I hope to see an improvement, I cannot see the summer being anything particularly special.

Anyway we had a Winter thread at the start of September 2010, 3 months before winter( I checked in my previous posts because I made many responses), it is June and we have passed the middle of June, so I don't see why we can't discuss Autumn for now, as I think many will be more interested in the prospects than the summer.

Longest day next week, Tuesday I think and the nights start drawing in slowlyrofl.gifbiggrin.gif

So my punt and has not changed for a while now as I have been thinking about Autumn, is that it will be colder than normal, the second half of Autumn being the coldest, I have a feeling we will have a Greenland high particularly october onwards, september being the warmest month with average rainfall.

I hope we don't have that annoying western based Greenland high or mid Atlantic high like last autumn, saying that look what happened in November and Decemberohmy.gif.

Here is a few lrfs for autumn, some even show winter if interested winter, which is too far out, but does looking interesting once again, but I think by September we can start to take winter lrfs more seriously, of course some people don't at all, but from what I remember the lrfs in the summer showed an averagish winter, then by September to december non stop blocking on the december anomaly chart:

Anyway here we are:

http://www.cpc.ncep..../glbz700Mon.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep..../glbz700Mon.gif Don't know which link we should be looking at, which is recent as both show upated dates

http://cmdp.ncc.cma..../pred/en_cs.php If anyone can find the autumn forecast on here it would be a big help

http://www.jamstec.g...esearch/d1/iod/ click 'seasonal predicitions' in the side bar for autumn forecast and more

That is what I could find, feel free to add more and I will add them to this post, so members can see them.

ALSO FEEL FREE TO USE THIS THREAD AS ANYTHING ABOUT, AUTUMN, POST PICTURE, YOUR STORIES, MEMORABLE WEATHER EVENTS IN AUTUMN OR EVENTS FROM LAST YEAR LIKE THE SNOW OR DISCUSS YOUR FAVOURITE FEELINGS AND THINGS ABOUT AUTUMN. LETS GET PEOPLE IN THE MOOD.

Heres hoping for a lot of this:

drinks.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gif and a lot of wind!

and less of this wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

P.S mods, feel free to change the title or shorten it or pin it.

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted

Ah Yes Autumn, quite a special time (like every season). I love the sunshine in all three months, the heat on a warmish september day. I also like the first feeling of cold in September and the first frosts in October. By October time, usually prefer cold nights and morning and pleasant afternoons with sunshine. Fog can be quite good in October along with the odd cold snap, august like day and occasional rainfall. The light during October can also be special and I usually like the feeling of approching December. Of course, Halloween and Guy Fawkes night are special and conditions such as clear skies and cold nights between late October and Mid November can be special.

Now to predictions of the upcoming Autumn, all I can say (judging on the weather we've had so far this year) is I don't have a real clue. However looking back at patterns of this year I might come up with something.

January - After harsh December, we were treated to a mixture of Atlantic storms, dull days, cold, crisp nights and some snowy days. All in all it was a bit of a mix.

February - There were some snowfalls and cold days, however by the end of the month things began to warm up and look Spring like (like Late November became winter).

March - After spring like conditions, Winter returned with some snow (and for the last time). Eventually things began to clear up and it became quite a pleasant month.

April - High pressure dominated and we had a warm, sunny spell (that now looks to have been our summer). Nothing cold and rarely wet.

May - Warm and settled until My Birthday (8th May - that was quite a nice day). After that, thunderstorms arrived and then it became really wet and windy. My Uncle's newly built stables near Freuchie (Fife) lost it's roof in a powerful storm.

June - So Far, it has been pretty poor with the odd nice day and one thunder shower.

So by looking at the past few months, I believe we can see a mixture of weather types this Autumn. I expect some warm days in September, along with jet stream influenced spells, clear and calm periods and potentially another cold end to the month. Looking at recent news about the sun, it seems that it has become a little more active, however it is still pretty low for max. If this keeps up, we could see some warm and cold weather this autumn.

Posted

Theres already a thread for discussion beyond summer.

Please use this one here: