Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted

I am starting to get so so tired of all this scaremongering. Is news really so slow these days that they have to resort to pure lies? It makes me really angry. There are some of us who are utterly dreading a repeat of last years severe weather (I am one of them). Its such a low tactic to sell newspapers. >:(

Posted

It gets my goat too. The media's willingness to not only irresponsibly worry people but also to blatantly change the meaning of what someone said should be outlawed. This of course applies to all media reporting, not just the weather.

They should be held responsible for any problems caused by their actions, simple as that.

Posted

Daily Express has three types of headlines I've noticed over the last few months and it doesn't vary - 1. Health issues (and new scientific finds i.e. for cancer/lowering blood pressure etc. 2. Pensions/VAT/Tax 3. Extreme weather to effect the UK. and the headlines are larger than any other paper.

I hope when this weather (Siberian Freeze) doesn't come off (probability says it won't) that they get lots of mail/letters reminding them of the countless headlines they've had over the last couple of months. We used to get this paper back in the 70's thank god we don't now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I remember reading in a book called 'weatherwise' by Philip EDEN and he stated that we never get Siberian Weather, The cold never comes from eats of the Urals. That'll be no Siberian Freeze coming then.... http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.png

BFTP

Posted

Frankly I would not have a problem with the Express printing the above, if come the time they hold up their hands and say we/the forecasters we use got it wrong... but they never do. As has been frequently said, by all means make a forecast, but having done so have the balls to stand by it. If it's right you'll get the plaudits, but if it's wrong simply say so and move on... it seems simple to most of us, but let's face it from a commercial standpoint it makes no sense at all, so don't hold your breath regarding a chance of policy at the rags.

Edited by shedhead

Posted

Frankly I would not have a problem with the Express printing the above, if come the time they hold up their hands and say we/the forecasters we use got it wrong... but they never do. As has been frequently said, by all means make a forecast, but having done so have the balls to stand by it. If it's right you'll get the plaudits, but if it's wrong simply say so and move on... it seems simple to most of us, but let's face it from a commercial standpoint it makes no sense at all, so don't hold your breath regarding a chance of policy at the rags.

They would also need to print it on the front page, in the same screaming headlines style, for example:

Express Gets the Weather Wrong!

It'll never happen of course, the press are a law unto themselves.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

I'd expect the Express to blame immigrants for a failed forecast...They do for everything else after all...

Sometimes I wonder who reads the Express... :fool:

Daily Express has three types of headlines I've noticed over the last few months and it doesn't vary - 1. Health issues (and new scientific finds i.e. for cancer/lowering blood pressure etc. 2. Pensions/VAT/Tax 3. Extreme weather to effect the UK. and the headlines are larger than any other paper.

I hope when this weather (Siberian Freeze) doesn't come off (probability says it won't) that they get lots of mail/letters reminding them of the countless headlines they've had over the last couple of months. We used to get this paper back in the 70's thank god we don't now.

But surely you'd rather a big headline about the weather then one telling us that Ken Dodds Dads Dog's Dead???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

But surely you'd rather a big headline about the weather then one telling us that Ken Dodds Dads Dog's Dead???

I would rather proper journalism, stories about facts!

What we have in this country is cr*p journalism, stories about fiction and mis-representation of any facts that might occassionally be used!

• Like 1

Posted

I would rather proper journalism, stories about facts! What we have in this country is cr*p journalism, stories about fiction and mis-representation of any facts that might occassionally be used!

Any journo worth his salt will never let facts get in the way of a good story! Edited by shedhead
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Never let facts get in the way of a good story!

This is the problem though, they are just "stories"!

Posted

I'd expect the Express to blame immigrants for a failed forecast...They do for everything else after all...

Sometimes I wonder who reads the Express... :fool:

I have it on good authority that their readership mostly consists of zombies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

To see whats been going on around the world with the weather check out this link here - http://www.worldweat...st.com/2011/10/

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Head up for an interesting looking programme tomorrow on BBC 2, 9pm:

This topical programme taps into the nation's obsession with the weather and asks whether we are heading for another 'snowmageddon' as experienced in the previous two years. Can forecasters give us warning this time around? How does the 'olde' weather lore compare with the supercomputers? And what are we doing across Britain to prepare ourselves as we head into winter? 'Will It Snow?' predicts what another extreme cold snap would spell for Britain's economy as it puts the science of weather forecasting to the test and asks the experts what we are in store for between now and spring.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b0175m9n

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Cheers Coast. I'll catch it on iplayer as it's on at the same time as Downton Abbey lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I remember reading in a book called 'weatherwise' by Philip EDEN and he stated that we never get Siberian Weather, The cold never comes from eats of the Urals. That'll be no Siberian Freeze coming then.... http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.png

BFTP

And, as he usually is, Philip is quite right. Siberian weather, at least in winter, is largely the product of a huge anticyclone creating a deep inversion and resulting in spectacularly low temperatures over large areas of the region.

It would be a physical impossibility for this mass of cold air to break its confines and find its way across Europe and into Britain.

The best we can hope for is a deep mass of polar continental air brought to us on a strong E/NE wind from the plains of western Russia, as in January 1987.

Unfortunately the press make no distinction between a standard cold spell in a British winter and the depths of cold experienced in Siberia. I suggest that all reporters responsible for such exaggeration are shipped out to Verkhoyansk in January, that they may better appreciate the difference.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Just removing my post as I got the iPhone to work and I see you have picked up the bbc2 programme tonight. Damn it is on at same time as downtown Abby and I have no means of recording. :(

Edited by Polar Bear

Posted

Head up for an interesting looking programme tomorrow on BBC 2, 9pm:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b0175m9n

Five minutes in and two fails already:

"December was the coldest month for over 100 years."

"We're just emerging from the warmest October on record."

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think some are being a little harsh, it's far better than some of the crap documentaries we've seen on the BBC recently. I'm enjoying it.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes some big blunders, but some very good work between 5-20 minutes in on snow, snow forecasting, model data and 62-63, nice little nw snapshot.

Yes, I liked that.