Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

BBC monthly outlook

Summary

Often unsettled with regular swings in temperature

Wednesday 4 December – Sunday 8 December

Turning milder, wetter and much windier

So far this week, we have had a large area of high pressure located across the south of the UK. This has brought dry, calm but also chilly conditions to southern areas, with some overnight frost and patchy fog, while milder westerly winds have spread slowly in across northern and central areas. On Wednesday, the southern and eastern half of the UK can be expected to stay dry, following another chilly start, with some patchy fog and frost. A weakening cold front will push a band of cloud and increasingly light and intermittent rain south-eastwards across Scotland, Northern Ireland and into north-western England. Breezy and showery weather will follow to western Scotland on Wednesday afternoon.

A big change is on the way for the rest of this week, as a powerful westerly jet stream (high above the far North Atlantic Ocean) forces a vigorous low pressure track and associated fronts into the UK and pushes away the high pressure. These fronts will arrive over northern areas on Thursday and linger through Thursday night. A conveyor of strong to gale force south-westerly winds and prolonged heavy rain over western Scotland and Cumbria could bring widely over 50mm of rain and locally between 75mm and 100mm in less than 30 hours.

These normally very wet areas have avoided the heaviest of the UK's autumn rains, but there could still be some flooding issues, as the river levels and stream rise rapidly. Further south, turning much milder and windier than recently, but the wettest weather will on Friday and Sunday, with Saturday offering a brief window of drier and brighter weather.

Monday 9 December – Sunday 15 December

Unsettled, but also colder with risk of some snow

An unsettled and windy week is expected, especially so across the south. Winds are likely to come from a westerly or north-westerly direction early in the week, keeping temperatures close to the seasonal average. However, there is increased evidence on the latest model guidance for the low pressure track to shift just to dip just to the south of the UK from midweek, allowing colder wind flows from the north and north-east to extend in from Scandinavia. Many areas are likely to have showers and some lengthier outbreaks of rain spreading from the west and south-west. Rainfall amounts are favoured to be above average for many southern and western areas, but less so over northern and north-west Scotland.

The most important aspect of the forecast involves the fact that some of the rain may start to fall as snow, as the cold air moves down over the UK. The extent and the timing of the snowfall threat is extremely uncertain, not least because temperatures will be very marginal regarding the rain / snow mix. While the higher parts of central and northern Britain will be most likely to see some snow, lower levels could see some at times, too. Later in the week, night frosts are likely to return, especially to northern half of the UK, but perhaps further south as well, especially where there has been some snowfall.

Monday 16 December – Sunday 29 December

Variable temperatures, but often wet and breezy

The second half of December is expected to be wet and windy at times with swings in temperature. Low pressure areas are likely to be often nearby or to the west and southwest of the UK, bringing wet conditions with above normal rainfall expected quite widely. The rainfall could lead to some further flood issues too, especially where river catchments are already saturated, such as across parts of Wales and the Midlands. It is likely to be breezy at times, too, with the strongest winds often over western and south-western areas.

By the festive week, confidence in the forecast remains quite low. However, there are still indications that the low pressure areas will often sink southwards near or over the UK and down into France, while high pressure builds over Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. Wettest over southern and western areas of the UK and quite dry over northern Scotland. It is very possible that some colder air could tuck into the UK on a few days and even bring some wintry showers. But the signal is for short-lived chilly spells, rather than a prolonged period of significant cold.

Further ahead

We will provide more detail on the threat of some snowfall over the UK later

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/outlook

• Like 1

Posted

Met office 10 day trend

Next 10 days

Low pressure
Colder than average

Later next week

Colder than average
Frost and Ice
Wintry showers

Posted

Posted

Winter Storm Brings Snow to at Least 30 States

A winter storm that barreled across the United States from Cedar Grove, Calif., where it dropped 49 inches of snow, to Ogunquit, Maine, which saw more than a foot, was finally departing on Tuesday, but not before giving New England one last whack.

Having come ashore from the Pacific a week ago as a “bomb cyclone,” the storm dropped at least four inches of snow in 30 states. Its mix of cold, wind, snow, sleet and rain shuttered schools, blocked hundreds of miles of highways, scuttered scores of flights and was linked to multiple deaths over the long holiday weekend in Missouri, Arizona and South Dakota.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/03/us/winter-storm-snowfall.html

Posted

Frost And Ice Is Forecast For Election Day. Emergency Measures Are Being Prepared To Help Voters Get To The Polls

Special contingency measures are being put in place to grit hundreds of miles of additional roads across Britain, as weather forecasters predict icy conditions in parts of the country on election day next week. A million tonnes of salt has been stockpiled by local authorities and emergency planning is underway to send a fleet of gritting trucks to extra routes to ensure voters can safely travel to polling stations for Britain's first December poll since 1923.

The vast salting exercise comes as senior Conservatives fear that adverse weather conditions could reduce turnout among older voters, who are typically more likely to vote Tory. The Met Office has forecast colder than average weather across the country on Wednesday and Thursday next week, with widespread frost and icy streets expected. Councils typically grit so-called "precautionary routes" during freezing conditions — the roads that are most important to keep cars moving. Less vital "secondary routes" are not usually salted, but local authorities have made exceptional plans to grit these streets if there is icy weather on election day. Snowfall is forecast in parts of Scotland and the Pennines, with frost and ice likely in the North and the Midlands.

sub-buzz-177-1575542727-4.png?crop=1002:
WWW.BUZZFEED.COM

The special plans come as senior Conservatives fear that adverse weather conditions could reduce turnout among older, typically more pro-Tory voters.

Posted

Australia bushfires north of Sydney 'too big to put out'

A "mega blaze" raging across a 60km (37 mile) front north-west of Sydney cannot currently be put out, Australian fire officials have warned. The fire across almost 300,000 hectares (1,150 sq m) is just an hour's drive from the nation's most-populous city. People who cannot defend their property from approaching fires have been told they should leave immediately. Since October, bushfires have killed six people and destroyed more than 700 homes across Australia.

The severity of the blazes so early in the fire season has caused alarm, and prompted calls for greater action to tackle climate change. Fires have also raged across Queensland, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-50690633?ns_campaign=bbc_weather&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central&ns_mchannel=social

Posted

BBC monthly outlook

Summary

Wet and very windy at times but not too cold

Saturday 7 December – Sunday 15 December

Very windy at times with some milder days

A strong frontal system moving through by Sunday 8th will bring some widespread heavy rain across the country, coupled with some very strong winds. The strongest of these winds will be in southwest England and Wales, especially Cornwall, with some gales or severe gales likely later on Sunday and into Monday. Although things will calm down a bit heading into the working week, this will be a sign of things to come for a while.

Low pressure is expected to sit often near or just north of the UK while a large area of high pressure lurks to the south over the sub-tropical Atlantic. This will mean winds will often be moderate to strong with fronts likely to be frequent. A strong frontal system is likely to sweep across the country on Tuesday and into Wednesday, with further strong wind gusts and bands of heavy rain, although these will mainly be for the southern half of the country.

Election Day will see yet another front move in making for a cloudy, wet, and breezy day, although central and eastern areas may see some brighter and drier weather for a time early on. Later in the week and into the following weekend things will likely stay unsettled across the country, but winds will tend to ease, and temperatures may dip to slightly below average, especially into the weekend. This will mean hill and mountain snow in the northern half of the country may occasionally reach into lowland areas as fronts move in.

Monday 16 December – Sunday 22 December

Staying unsettled, slight risk of lowland snow

For the week before the Christmas holidays, our weather in the UK will become highly dependent on the exact position of the jet stream, which is a ribbon of fast-moving air in the upper atmosphere that drives weather systems. While the jet stream is expected to be nearer to the UK earlier in December, but the third full week we are expecting to see it dip further south into Spain and France for a time. However, at the same time the jet stream is expected to remain strong, so weather systems will tend to be progressive and move through quickly.

What this means for our weather is that things will likely stay quite unsettled with only a few, brief dry spells, but the winds will tend to ease as the stronger winds and fronts are sent to the south. This will also make it harder for the milder sub-tropical air to reach into the UK, so temperatures will likely end up slightly below average, especially in the northern half of the country. This will bring with it a risk of some occasional lowland snow when fronts do move through.

There aren't currently any strong signals for prolonged and intense cold, so any lowland snow events will likely just result in a dusting here and there, mainly for the Central Belt in Scotland and possibly further south into northern England at times. There is a chance that the jet stream will fail to make its southern sojourn and instead remain near the UK throughout the week. This is still an unsettled trend, so we have high confidence it will be often quite wet, but a more northern jet stream will mean it is windier and milder. In this case, lowland snow is unlikely.

Monday 23 December – Sunday 5 January

Turning milder, less windy and eventually drier

For the end of December and into the start of the new year, low pressure is expected to become increasingly less influential on the weather with an area of higher pressure moving in. This will be quite a gradual shift, and high pressure (with its associated drier and milder weather) will likely be quite sluggish to arrive. As a result, 2019 will most likely end on a rather wet note. As the jet stream wiggles its way back north and across the UK, the colder Arctic air will remain locked nearer to Iceland. This means that rather than looking for a white Christmas, one should probably expect a wet Christmas.

Towards the end of the year high pressure will become more influential in Central Europe and begin to make its presence known in the UK. This will start with some longer dry spells in the southeast coupled with some milder air feeding in from the southwest. This will gradually spread northwest as low pressure systems retreat towards Iceland. For New Years and into the first week of 2020, some milder air is likely to reach clear into Scotland with some drier weather and sunnier days. A few weak fronts may creep into Northwest Britain and Northern Ireland, so things will tend to be drearier here.

The main uncertainty in the forecast is how quickly the high pressure may arrive. Weather models are sometimes a bit too keen to bring high pressure in during winter, as Atlantic weather systems are at their strongest for the whole year and are hard to shift. There is a chance that high pressure will build in earlier near the end of December, bringing a break of the wet and windy weather faster.

Further ahead

We will hopefully be able to pin down the notoriously tricky winter jet stream so get a better idea of the cold and snow potential before Christmas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/outlook

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

John Hammond's latest monthly outlook

• Turbulent times ahead
  • No clarity on Christmas weather
  • Hints of change towards New Year

Full forecast as ever is here for subscribers* https://weathertrending.com/2019/12/06/john-hammonds-christmas-keeps-us-guessing/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
36 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

John Hammond's latest monthly outlook

• Turbulent times ahead
  • No clarity on Christmas weather
  • Hints of change towards New Year

Full forecast as ever is here for subscribers* https://weathertrending.com/2019/12/06/john-hammonds-christmas-keeps-us-guessing/

Tried subscribing, all i successfully managed to do is give them my e-mail and password - its a con

Posted
26 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Tried subscribing, all i successfully managed to do is give them my e-mail and password - its a con

I'm signed in and able to see it

Try this link to log in https://weathertrending.com/wp-login.php 

Then go off and go back on via this link https://weathertrending.com/2019/12/06/john-hammonds-christmas-keeps-us-guessing/

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

I'm signed in and able to see it

Try this link to log in https://weathertrending.com/wp-login.php 

Then go off and go back on via this link https://weathertrending.com/2019/12/06/john-hammonds-christmas-keeps-us-guessing/

Says unknown e-mail - even though i had the e-mail after registering from them, at times i have got past that screen in your first link but then it said i failed the maths question even though it was 1+3 and needless to say i put 4

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Says unknown e-mail - even though i had the e-mail after registering from them, at times i have got past that screen in your first link but then it said i failed the maths question even though it was 1+3 and needless to say i put 4

Not sure why you can't log in. Never had those issues myself.

You don't have to click a link in the email you receive do you to active the email address?

Posted
10 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Not sure why you can't log in. Never had those issues myself.

You don't have to click a link in the email you receive do you to active the email address?

Yes - and i did.

EDIT : tried again - no go - useless - just wished i hadn't gave them loads of personal info now for them marketing methods - no worries - i will just get my self a new e-mail.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes - and i did.

EDIT : tried again - no go - useless - just wished i hadn't gave them loads of personal info now for them marketing methods - no worries - i will just get my self a new e-mail.

No idea then. It's working fine for me.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Turn off any ad-blockers.

It doesn't matter - i am never prepared to downgrade my security just to see a month ahead forecast - thanks anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It doesn't matter - i am never prepared to downgrade my security just to see a month ahead forecast - thanks anyway.

Add the site to a filter, then? Ad's aren't a security issue on genuine sites.

It's obvious that a piece of javascript is probably being blocked, but it's quite simple to use a filter list.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

What browser do you use? 

I have Chrome and an ad blocker running and it loads up fine

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

What browser do you use? 

I have Chrome and an ad blocker running and it loads up fine

Same - chrome - anyway thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Try it on an incognito tab..

I'm not sure why you're worrying about security in ad's when you've said that you have handed over loads of personal info? lol

I'm also not sure what info you've given?! It only asks for a username/password/email.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
6 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

He's a cold ramper, you have enough of them on here to give you false hope, don't  need to subscribe to another one lol

Edited by lassie23