Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

If it was triple the seasonal average it would be like 21C?

Posted

I find it difficult to believe that the weather this winter has shortened the gestation period for sheep by 4 months. Farmers have obviously been missing out by not factory farming sheep to produce lambs more quickly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

'We're colder than Moscow' - I don't think so! absolute garbage from both Express and Daily Mail once again, I read a section in the Mail yesterday (well away from the front cover) and there were so many inaccuracies in the piece e.g. Dec - Feb 2011 had a mean of 1.5c, December 2010 was the coldest December for 31 years? 'The weathers going to get milder mid-week but colder towards the weekend with temps of 8-9c although milder than recently will still be chilly for the time of year'...I could go on but we all know that journalists at these papers know very little about weather, other than the great Jonothan Powell at PWS (how he's managed to do anything this autmn/winter is beyond me due to the constant quotes/forecasts he keeps giving these rags). :p

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

OK, hands up all those who think 12 degC is triple 4 degC ??? :search:

I thought the daily average in the UK for the winter months was about 7...

Posted

Well I wonder what the dear xpress would print if they were covering wher I am. I started in Toronto on the 12th at 2c. It started to snow and temps started to fall. Flew to Calgary and minus 20c and snow covering. Arrived in Banff on 15th evening to ski. Started to snow when I arrived -27c. Canadians were saying ok it's getting cold. On the 17th Banff hit -30c and now the ski runs closed. Canadians starting to winge as I left Banff for Lake Louise on the 17th. Still unable to ski as we were down to -33c and continues light snow. Roads well ploughed and traffic fine. Canadians starting to stay in. Record energy consumption recorded for Alberta as reported on TV. Left Banff for Lake Louise on 17th and arrived in light continuous snow and -33c. Roads ploughed and traffic running. In the morning left for Jasper and we are standing at -35c. Schools starting to shut and engine block heaters are plugged into the mains to get the cars started tomorrow. Canadians now staying in. Going down to -38c tonight with a wind chill expected of -47c tomorrow morning. Buses now stopping and no one will be moving around early.

Wonder what the xpress would write about that. Catching the train on Friday through the Rockies to Vancouver on Saturday. I am told train will be late on Friday as it starts in Toronto so we will see.

• Like 1

Posted

Some incredible updates from NW States here : http://www.hpc.ncep....ns/nfdscc4.html

I have absolutely no idea what seeing that amount of snowfall would be like - amazing (note those depths are in INCHES!)

SS

Edited by SuttonStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Latest from James Madden

Wintry further north and milder further south

Things are set to remain the same as we head into this weekend, with further wintry showers and cooler temperatures in the north, with milder and drier conditions further south. Friday day and into Friday night will feel chilly across northern parts of the UK, with further wintry showers falling as snow at times, across higher ground in parts of Scotland and northern England during today. It will be somewhat milder and windier in areas further south.

Saturday will also see wintry showers falling as snow across higher ground in northern parts of the UK, with some further showers of sleet and snow to some lower levels too. It will also be particularly windy in the far north, it will however remain relatively dry and mild for most areas further south.

Sunday and into Monday will see a somewhat chillier feel across most parts of the UK, and although areas further south are again likely to remain relatively dry, further wintry showers and cooler temperatures will continue across northern parts of the UK.

This is how I expect things to continue as we head into next week, with the possibility of some strong winds and snow showers to even lower levels than of late.

James Madden (UK Long Range Forecaster)

ExactaWeather.com

Published: 20th January 2012 (06:17) GMT

Content copyright © 2010-2011. Exacta Weather. All rights reserved.

http://www.exactawea...e_Forecast.html

• Like 1

Posted

Country File forecast with Darren Bett

First half of the week

Mild

Cloudy

Wet

Second Half

Cold

Dry

Frosty

High pressure coming from the azores

:good:

• Like 1

Posted

Jonathan Powell is quoted in the media as saying the rest of the winter will be similiar in pattern to as what we have experienced so far ie mild

Does that mean we are now guaranteed of a pattern change to much colder weather?

Edited by Mr_Data
  • Like 3

Posted

Whilst not guaranteed, it must surely increase our chances... :rofl: Have seen some pretty puzzling quotes from him over the last 12 months, many clearly designed for effect, but given all

that is currently going on this latest one looks uber puzzling.

Posted

Yes, got a FB message from a friend in Manitoba yesterday and he said it was minus 48 where he lives. All your fillings fall out and your tears freeze at that temperature!

He sent me a photo too

post-1781-0-33342800-1326979888_thumb.jp

Yes, got a FB message from a friend in Manitoba yesterday and he said it was minus 48 where he lives. All your fillings fall out and your tears freeze at that temperature!

He sent me a photo too

post-1781-0-33342800-1326979888_thumb.jp

Wouldn't want to be sleeping rough there in just my undercrackers... :rofl: Do you know if that was f of c?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Took my kids to finnish lapland a few years ago. When we got there it was -15c. after a few minutes i could feel my lungs crystalizing( burning) weird feeling. i thought that was bad, by the fourth day of the holiday it was -32c. We mangaed about half an hour out in it then had to get in side and jump in the sauna to thaw out. lol.

Amazing place of natural beauty though.

Posted

SNOW ON THE WAY IN ARCTIC COLDSNAP

BRITAIN is braced for a burst of winter chaos this week, with forecasters warning of an Arctic blast followed by torrential rain and the risk of floods. Temperatures will plunge today with snow forecast for much of the country. Blizzards are likely in some parts and heavy rain in the rest. The mercury will drop to -6C (21F) in the North with even London and the milder South-east set to shiver in lows of -4C.

Jonathan Powell, senior forecaster at Positive Weather Solutions, said: “We are looking at a slice of winter chaos with a short Arctic blast set to make it a treacherous start to the week. Mr Powell said: “The snow will readily turn to rain with some very heavy downpours, especially across the Midlands. It is back to widespread severe frosts and another bitterly cold blast by Thursday as the nightmare January continues.â€

Experts are predicting a chilly spring with lower than average temperatures.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/297564/Snow-on-the-way-in-Arctic-coldsnap

• Like 1

Posted

SNOW ON THE WAY IN ARCTIC COLDSNAP

http://www.express.c...Arctic-coldsnap

and the Guardian say:

Snow hits northern UK, but milder weather to prevail

A band of snow is moving across high ground in northern England in a brief return to wintry conditions – but forecasters do not see an end to the current and unusually mild weather in most of the UK.

Brighter skies are due to follow the cold front, which briefly threatened to close some roads but is now turning into rain in most of the affected areas of the north Pennines and the Scottish lowlands. A large yellow lozenge is inching across the Met Office's severe weather warnings map, indicating the lowest state of alert – "be aware". Forecasters warned that snow could still fall as far south as the Peak District before midday, with the risk of icy roads extending further towards Birmingham and the Wash on the east coast.

Milder but sometimes brisk weather is likely for the rest of the week, but the longer-term outlook continues to make frequent use of the word uncertain. Although a nasty delayed shock is not expected, older weather watchers recall that the severest winter of modern times, in 1947, did not begin in earnest until late January. The Met Office is hedging its bets for early February, saying: "There appear to be two main scenarios, each equally probable, but which are very different."

"The first consists of a changeable westerly or southwesterly weather type with rain at times and with temperatures noticeably above average for early February, with only occasional frosts. "The alternative is that much colder weather with winds mainly from an easterly or northeasterly quarter, will prevail well into February, bringing widespread frosts and snow to some areas. In this scenario, it would be the east that was most vulnerable to snowfall. Snow turning into rain in most of the affected areas of the north Pennines and Scottish lowlands

http://www.guardian....l?newsfeed=true

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny, freezing cold and snowy!!

Took my kids to finnish lapland a few years ago. When we got there it was -15c. after a few minutes i could feel my lungs crystalizing( burning) weird feeling. i thought that was bad, by the fourth day of the holiday it was -32c. We mangaed about half an hour out in it then had to get in side and jump in the sauna to thaw out. lol. Amazing place of natural beauty though.

Hi john mac. We went to Levi last year and it was -25 when we arrived! Our eyelashes, hair, and up our noses froze!! Loved the place so much going back 12th Feb..... Will our winter arrive here before then?

Posted

BRITS IN A WHITE MESS!

ARCTIC snow storms blasted parts of Britain yesterday in a freak 24-hour cold snap.

More than four inches of snow covered northern England and Scotland, causing road chaos.

Residents in County Durham woke to find their cars and houses blanketed in the white stuff as temperatures dropped to a shivering -4C. And forecasters warned there could be another whiteout today.

Heavy rain and temperatures of 10C should return tomorrow.

It is likely to be colder and brighter over the weekend.

But forecasters are warning that snow could return as early as next week.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/232066/Brits-in-a-white-mess-/

• Like 1

Posted

BRITS IN A WHITE MESS!

ARCTIC snow storms blasted parts of Britain yesterday in a freak 24-hour cold snap.

More than four inches of snow covered northern England and Scotland, causing road chaos.

Residents in County Durham woke to find their cars and houses blanketed in the white stuff as temperatures dropped to a shivering -4C. And forecasters warned there could be another whiteout today.

Heavy rain and temperatures of 10C should return tomorrow.

It is likely to be colder and brighter over the weekend.

But forecasters are warning that snow could return as early as next week.

http://www.dailystar...-a-white-mess-/

What a load of popycock!! I drove from Cairngorm (Aviemeore) to Stevenage (Hertfordshire) yesterday - Set off at 9am and got back at 6pm. There was a slushy covering in the Highlands but nothing from Glasgow south! Where are the whiteouts today?? Even Northern scotland and the highlands are above 5C all day today!

Posted

What a load of popycock!! I drove from Cairngorm (Aviemeore) to Stevenage (Hertfordshire) yesterday - Set off at 9am and got back at 6pm. There was a slushy covering in the Highlands but nothing from Glasgow south! Where are the whiteouts today?? Even Northern scotland and the highlands are above 5C all day today!

Gotta love those chaos, freak (erm its January in Scotland???) and Arctic phrases chucked in to spice it up!!! Must be a slow news day yet again at the Daily Star.

Posted

Weather is a bit flakey

SNOW falls yesterday — as our weather gets in a white old mess.

This flurry came in Tow Law, Co Durham, with others across the Pennines also affected. Meanwhile in Falmouth, Cornwall, butterflies were emerging TWO MONTHS earlier than usual. Experts blamed unpredictable conditions on cold air from Russia battling mild Atlantic winds bringing rain.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4083713/Weather-is-a-bit-flakey-in-some-parts-of-Britain.html

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Having just checked the "alternative media" it's bye bye to Positive Weather Solutions then. The econonic climate as well as the weather bites then. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

Today on facebook by Mark Vogan!

While an area from Norway through Russia down to Bulgaria may be cold just now... this is nothing compared to the period starting Sat-Sun through at least mid next week where a wall of intense Siberian air roars in. First Russia, then Poland then Germany eventually knocking on the door of France, low countries, UL, Ireland by end of next week. Hope these governments are aware of what's coming.

Hmmm ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Actually, it's Monbiot in the Guardian who has killed PWS...It's a rather interesting insight...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2012/jan/26/weather-forecasters-daily-mail