Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Gott in Himmel! What a load of conspiracy-theorist drivel!

From whence do these nonsensical claims originate, one wonders?

But don't you see sausage, everyone at the MetO is in on it, they are being paid off by the government.

It's all so the government can use thier weather machines to promote the idea of global warming.

Open your eyes, for the love of God, man! *shakes solar sausage*

:p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Thank god someone on the internet did spot it and wrote a blog about it!!!!!

Posted

A famous ex-weather forecaster for the MO turned up with his family, naturally being interested in weather, we had a good old chin wag. He told me that the Government do intervene with forecasts, it happened to him several times when he was working there. Both incidents were down to bank holiday forecasts for Bournemouth and Brighton. They were told to change the forecast to give the impression that bad weather would be due on these bank holiday dates, yet the complete opposite happened. He said the reasoning behind it was to stop thousands of people travelling to these destinations in cars and clogging up roads etc ..

There was even an article about the Bournemouth episode in our daily rag.

This is huge news, can you message me the name of the forecaster, the dates and which paper covered the story?

I have just spent a long time trawling archive material and the pages available from publications in that area and can't find anything except this thread in search engines (and believe me, I have looked deeply!). Can you post a link into the article (or even just tell me which actual publication it was and the year) as something of an exposé on this level should have been headline news and not just in a local rag.

Sounds to me like a confused version of this story from 2010:

Bournemouth set up its own local service – the first of its kind in the country – to counter "unpredictable and confusing forecasts".

The council said the move followed last year's Whitsun bank holiday prediction when, it claims, a forecast of showers led 25,000 potential visitors to stay at home, even though Bournemouth's seven miles of beaches were bathed in sunshine. It estimates the forecast resulted in more than £1m in lost revenue, angering the town's hoteliers and tourism officials.

http://www.guardian....eather-forecast

Edited by Essan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

http://www.guardian....eather-forecast

I remember that weekend and the story as well. Whether anyone told the MetO to deliberately make themselves a laughing stock and predict poor weather, or they just simply got it wrong is the real issue, and to be honest the chances of them deliberately manipulating a forecast to prevent busy roads is laughable. That's a lot of people who would be in on the game, and only one has ever spoken out, in a cafe, to a stranger... Has everyone else who ever leaked this snippet been snatched at 4am never to be seen again?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

That national article doesn't show all the facts. Even so, there's no confusion. This was not soley about Bournemouth, this happened for Brighton too, and probably many other coastal resorts. This isn't about articles in the media, I was physically listening to a MO forecaster saying these things to my face. I've already spoken to John Holmes on the matter, so this will be the last post regarding the subject as it could stir up an unwanted mess.

and only one has ever spoken out, in a cafe, to a stranger... Has everyone else who ever leaked this snippet been snatched at 4am never to be seen again?

My brother was there listening to it, and so was my sister in law. And it was even the topic of discussion in the local pub that evening. I'm fine with people not believing me for whatever reasons. But DO NOT mock me for posting a truthful piece of information.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

My brother was there listening to it, and so was my sister in law. And it was even the topic of discussion in the local pub that evening. I'm fine with people not believing me for whatever reasons. But DO NOT mock me for posting a truthful piece of information.

I'm not mocking you, it could be the forecaster was enjoying the notoriety, playing up to stereotypes or just simply had enough of being blamed for getting the forecast wrong so decided to pass the buck. What I will say though, is that you expect us to take on faith that this happened, without any form of proof, names or any shred of rumour coming out of the 1800 employees, not including staff who no longer work there ( a number of which are now forecasters for competing commercial organisations), you can see why it's a little hard to believe...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Posted

The actual Bank Holiday was late May 2009, and have now found this which is a copy of the original news story about the inaccurate forecast

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2009/05/28/2873751-inaccurate-forecast-riles-british-tourism-official

And the fax chart from that day:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2009/brack/bracka20090525.gif

(I seem to recall cloud was expected off the Channel)

Such news stories are, of course not uncommon - Llandudno, Blackpool & Mablethorpe have all been in the news in recent years complaining that the MetO forecast was wrong on one occasion or other. Oddly enough, they never issue stories when the forecast is spot on - as more often it is, even in Bournemouth.

Posted

The actual Bank Holiday was late May 2009, and have now found this which is a copy of the original news story about the inaccurate forecast

So I read:

"You can, literally, have four seasons in one day," Gromett said. "It is that variability, and the very varied nature of our weather that makes it so very fascinating for the general public, and so difficult to get right."

The city of Brighton, just 95 miles (150 kilometers) east of Bournemouth, had a gloomy, wet weather forecast for Monday — and it was accurate, Gromett said.

Or that the Met O got the Bournemouth forecast wrong, but the Brighton one correct? I also see that they put their hands up to the inaccurate forecast for Bournemouth for that day, but nothing about deliberately getting it wrong under orders from A N Other? In fact I've not read much at all about the theory of a deliberate series of wrong forecasts to satisfy another agenda.

Yet again it seems a bit incongruous of the Tourism Chief to pick one day when the forecast was wrong and not mention the countless other days of the year when it was probably right. If there was a deliberate attempt to mis-forecast the weather for some higher reasons or by command, then wouldn't we be seeing more of it? One day's lack of visitors in one Summer is hardly going to make a difference to the economy, road infrastructure or back the government policy on climate etc etc.

On the Met O performance thread I posted this link to their accuracy:

http://www.metoffice...us/who/accuracy

and these examples of major events they predicted:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/who/how/case-studies

I'm not challenging for a moment that Mapantz heard what he said he heard from the individual, but one may like to consider that any aggrieved employee (or even one just shooting the breeze) can say what they like about the place and people that they work with, if they have a receptive audience gathered around.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Ok.. own up. Who did it?? All this talk about conspiracies.....

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread795359/pg1

Posted

Ok.. own up. Who did it?? All this talk about conspiracies.....

http://www.abovetops...hread795359/pg1

By the same bloke who predicted the early Januray storms would be like doomsday and bring unimaginable destruction.

That website is lol-a-rific, full of people who spend far too much time in their bedrooms smoking weed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

By the same bloke who predicted the early Januray storms would be like doomsday and bring unimaginable destruction.

That website is lol-a-rific, full of people who spend far too much time in their bedrooms smoking weed.

I love reading it just affirm that i am sane, compare to a whole load of nut jobs. Always worth a chuckle.

Posted

1000 BRITISH SKIERS TRAPPED BY 18FT SNOWFALL

THOUSANDS of British holidaymakers have been trapped in the Austrian Alps after mammoth snowfalls severed road, rail and air links.

Some 1,000 Britons are in the town of Ischgl alone, but more are trapped in places like Galtur, St Anton and Arlberg, all of which have seen as much as 10ft of snow in 48 hours and 18ft all told in the past few days.

http://www.express.c...y-18ft-snowfall

• Like 1

Posted

1000 BRITISH SKIERS TRAPPED BY 18FT SNOWFALL

THOUSANDS of British holidaymakers have been trapped in the Austrian Alps after mammoth snowfalls severed road, rail and air links.

Some 1,000 Britons are in the town of Ischgl alone, but more are trapped in places like Galtur, St Anton and Arlberg, all of which have seen as much as 10ft of snow in 48 hours and 18ft all told in the past few days.

http://www.express.c...y-18ft-snowfall

I just saw this, this morning. Can you imagine if 10ft of snow fell on the UK in 48hours. Havoc would not be the word.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

big pattern change for the USA. There date is the same target as ours 15/01/12

Historic Pattern Change to Usher in Cold Arctic Air & Storm Potential in 8-10 Days

It has been nearly one month since meteorological winter has began, but we have seen little cold, and a snow drought for most areas. Portions of the Great Lakes cities are down nearly 10inches. That is soon to change as one shot of air is expected to come in Wednesday-Thursday and the next but much stronger punch of arctic air is set to arrive next weekend. Either or, these snow drought totals may be erased due to this pattern change… Storm Central is predicting 2-3 Major Storms (Not necessarily winter storms) to affect the United States by the end of January.

Back in December, we explained in great detail the affects of a AO and NAO on the United States. Surprisingly, neither one of those patterns are set to make a strong negative affect on portions of the United States. A negative EPO or Eastern Pacific Oscillation is due to turn negative after being positive for the past month. In combination with a Negative AO, or Arcitic Osocilation, you could say that the majority of the United States is in for a cold car ride for the remainder of January, no pun intended.

As forecast by Storm Central’s Staff just over a month ago, we stated that the major pattern change would change in Mid to Late January and it is sure too do that. A Negative EPO (Eastern Pacific Oscillation) turns negative when a strong High Pressure is set to build over Southwest Alaska. That turns the Jet Stream winds up and over the Alaskan High and surges the cold air south. The Negative AO, or Arctic Osculation is going to re enforce the cold air south from Canada. Due to the fact you have a Negative EPO and AO at the same time, you will have the following affecting some regions of the United States:

-Below Average Temperatures some 10 to 20 degrees.

-Numerous (every 2-3 days) Alberta Clippers

-Cut off Low Pressures to turn into a storm potential.

-Mountain Snow

-Severe Storm Potential

With this active pattern, their is virtually no areas that can be dry. Currently, we are in a nearly east to west Northerly Jet Stream. We have not seen a major storm to affect the United States in just over a week. In 7-9 Days, this pattern is set to flip dramatically which has historical characteristics. Most areas have not seen High’s in the teens or 20′s so it is going to be a wake up call for many locations.

Posted ImagePosted Image

<<< Current Jet Stream Pattern

Mid January Jet Stream Pattern>>>

So, Breaking it down, here is what to expect. The Jet Stream pattern is the divergence between cold and warm temperatures but note that is the peak of the dip and not an everyday at every minute shape.

Posted ImageWith the Jet Stream pattern dipping so far south in the west, that is due to keep the majority of the Cold air in the West and Central locations. One wild card which keeps noting in the ever changing NAO Index’s is that if the NAO Index were to go negative. If that were to occur, nearly the whole United States would see below average temperatures for quite some period.

-Most locations above that blue line will see temperatures 5-20 degrees below normal.

-In the South east, if a strong storm were to ride up the northeast, enough warm air would be in place to cause Severe Weather.

-South western locations are going to wet with seasonable temperatures.

-East Coast will see temperatures just at average or just below.

-Western States will see average to just below average temperatures.

-Core of Cold will be situated in the North central and north west where Alberta clippers are a likely hood.

Posted Image

Another big issue that I am going to touch on that is with pattern change, odd things happen. Storm Central’s very own has noted a January Ice Storm for since early December and with pattern changes, that can occur. Also, with this type a pattern, northern locations will see more Alberta Clippers than usual that will place down 2-5 inch snow amounts. The East Coast from Chicago to New York has to be on Storm Watch heading into the end of the month as once again, 2-3 major storms are a potential to affect these locations.

Posted

TRAPPED SKIERS PAYING £4,000 TO BE AIRLIFTED OUT

SKIERS desperate to escape after being snowed in at Austria’s top ski resorts have been paying more than £4,100 to be flown out by helicopter. One small pass leading out from the Ischgl and Galtur resorts in western Austria was cleared yesterday, but conditions remained treacherous and there was a high risk of avalanches.

Many Britons are thought to be among the tourists who could not wait for roads to be cleared and did not want to brave the dangerous route. They have been forking out £1,800 €2,200 euros) to be airlifted out of the resorts, or up to £4,100 (5,000 euros) for a helicopter transfer to Innsbruck airport.

Conditions began to improve yesterday, but rescuers warned that the roads could be closed again at any time, as avalanches are sporadic, and conditions meant that accidents were likely. Skiers who had decided to make the most of their extended stay could enjoy the best snow conditions in over 30 years. But they were warned that more snow is due over the coming days in Tyrol and Salzburg, while the weather was causing chaos in other areas of Austria.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/295077/Trapped-skiers-paying-4-000-to-be-airlifted-out-

• Like 1

Posted

More money than sense.

Pay several thousand to be airlifted out or enjoy an extended holiday for much cheaper.

Hmm hard choice.

Posted

Temperatures Set To Plunge At The Weekend

The early signs of spring that have been in evidence after a mild December look set to be blasted away over the weekend as temperatures fall dramatically across the country.

The Met Office has warned that severe cold weather in parts of the country could increase the health risks for the very young, very old and vulnerable patients. The weather could also disrupt the delivery of services, it said. The cold weather is expected to hang around until at least Monday, with the North West, North East and Yorkshire & Humber regions of England expected to be hardest hit.

Last winter was the coldest for 31 years in the UK with an average December to February temperature of 1.51C. New research suggests more cold winters may be on the way in Britain - thanks to warmer Arctic summers. High pressure in the northern polar regions is thought to push colder air into mid-latitude regions, producing chillier weather.

http://news.sky.com/...rticle/16148398

• Like 1

Posted

UK Shivers As Temperatures Plunge To -7C

Temperatures in parts of the UK are expected to plunge to -7C tonight as icy Arctic weather sets in for the weekend.

The Met Office has warned that severe cold weather in parts of the country could increase the health risks for the very young, very old and vulnerable patients. Temperatures plunged to -7C in central England last night and similar temperatures are expected tonight and Sunday.

The cold weather is expected to last until at least Monday, with the North West, North East and Yorkshire & Humber regions of England expected to be hardest hit. The coldest temperatures last night were recorded in Pershore, Worcestershire, and Benson, Oxfordshire.

The most extreme weather tonight is expected in the North East of England and parts of Scotland.

Last winter was the coldest for 31 years in the UK with an average December to February temperature of 1.51C. New research suggests more cold winters may be on the way in Britain - thanks to warmer Arctic summers. High pressure in the northern polar regions is thought to push colder air into mid-latitude regions, producing chillier weather.

http://news.sky.com/...rticle/16148398

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

More money than sense. Pay several thousand to be airlifted out or enjoy an extended holiday for much cheaper. Hmm hard choice.

Not really.....if you or your company can afford a helicopter flight in the first place, then it's likely you're the sort of person who's worth at least £5,000 a day at work in the place you're supposed to be instead of still on holiday - £5K a day is less than £1.5m a year (assuming a 6-day week & 3w hols a year), and plenty of top managers are paid more than that even before their profit-linked bonuses.

It's not my world, thank God, nobody would miss me - I can't even afford the original holiday, let alone the cost of hurtling back from it!

Posted

Latest from WeatherOnline

Valid from 24/12 to 20/01 2012

Cool & unsettled month end

Issued: Saturday 14th January 2012

Duty forecaster: Simon Keeling & Captain Bob

If it wasn't for the currently settled, pleasantly sunny, crisp and frosty weather, winter so far could be considered as being rather 'dull' in nature?

Will this be winters last gasp, one desperate attempt to redeem its reputation for being able to stage something which many of us would consider fitting for seasonal triumph, I doubt it will manage it?

High pressure is currently bringing a quiet and 'cool' rather than cold apology for winter, this looks set to be swept away by less cold conditions as Atlantic air moves back through the UK on westerly flow, this too indicated to be replaced by an unsettled and colder flow from the northwest, but perhaps far from what many would consider fitting for the mid to late-winter period. As we move through into February high pressure looks as if it'll be taking control, the extended outlook therefore looking settled and akin to the current settled, cool to frosty cold conditions.

Full outlook here - http://www.weatheron...ad&DAY=20120114

• Like 1

Posted

How a touch of frost has seen winter spring back after the coldest day of the year so far

Posted Image

He has been absent during one of the mildest winters on record. But yesterday Jack Frost covered the country with his icy spell on the coldest day of the year so far. Temperatures fell to as low as -10.5c (13f) as the frost-covered landscapes brought a traditional winter feel to much of Britain.

Many farmers were forced to dress their lambs – born up to four months early because of this winter’s unseasonal warm weather – in plastic jackets to prevent them developing hypothermia. However, the chill did not stop eager fishermen braving the cold to cast a line on the first day of the salmon season on the River Tay in Dunkeld, Scotland. The Met Office said that the coldest place in the country yesterday was Aboyne in Aberdeenshire, where the temperature dropped to -10.5c (13f). In England, the village of Redesdale Camp in Tynedale, Northumberland, the mercury fell to -8c (18f). Forecasters say that the cold snap will start to ease from tomorrow, with the freezing conditions replaced by heavy rain and clouds.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Helen Chivers, of the Met Office, said last night: ‘Most of the country had a layer of frost yesterday, apart from coastal areas in southern and south-west England. It’s fair to say it is the first big frost. We have had these conditions for a couple of nights and it is the first widespread cold snap to last more than one night. ‘By Wednesday, temperatures will reach 13c (55f) but the stunning sunshine we have seen across the country will disappear.’

Posted Image

But there is worse to come, with a three-day snap due to envelop the country from Thursday night. Stunning winter scenes were revealed all over the country as the first frosts dusted landscapes. Mist hovering over frost-covered valleys burned away as the sun rose, its rays breaking through cloud and creating glorious hues of orange and pink in the sky. According to the Met Office, the country's northern and western parts will be hit hardest before things settle towards the beginning of next week. Forecaster Byron Chalcraft warned temperatures would feel 'quite mild' in the middle of this week. Cool conditions in some areas from today would mean temperatures of up to 11c (52f) on Wednesday – a few degrees above average for this time of year. However he added: ‘By Thursday it will turn colder again. Temperatures will dip to freezing, maybe a couple of degrees under, and we’ll see rain and snow showers around due to cold north-west winds. ‘This will mainly affect northern and western parts of the country, Manchester in particular. ‘It could be enough for snow to settle in some parts, maybe a few centimetres, which would be the first snow of the year.’

Posted Image

Temperatures are likely to rise to 8c (46f) by the beginning of next week. While it remains ‘unlikely’ that the country will be blanketed by the kind of heavy snow seen last year, Mr Chalcraft warned that this weekend’s winds could reach up to 40mph, making it seem even chillier. He added: ‘It will be nothing like the gales we’ve seen. ‘The weather is very changeable at the moment but as we go into the beginning of next week it will warm up again with temperatures of around 8c or 9c. That’s still chilly but mild for this time of year.’

Meanwhile, one farmer prepared his newborn lambs for the approaching cold snap by wrapping them in toasty orange jackets. The tiny animals wear the polythene 'lammacs' to prevent hyperthermia in the freezing temperatures.

Posted Image

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1jiEoantp

Posted

WRAP UP...NOW WE’RE COLDER THAN MOSCOW

BRITAIN will get its first proper taste of winter this week, with a bitterly cold blast prompting experts to issue an emergency health alert. It is expected to plunge to below freezing today and icy winds will make the UK colder than Moscow. After a milder day tomorrow, temperatures are predicted to fall again as the weekend approaches.

The Met Office has issued a Cold Weather Alert with the Department of Health for central and northern areas. The level-three amber notice warns of a “90 per cent probability of severe cold weather†from last night and through today. A Met Office statement reads: “This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services.†Forecasters warn the mercury could plummet to minus 5C (23F) this week, with windchill making it feel more like minus 7C (19F). It follows an unusually mild winter so far. The bizarre weather will continue this month with temperatures likely to yo-yo up to double figures, experts suggest. Jonathan Powell, of Positive Weather Solutions, said: “This cold snap is certainly one of the coldest this winter. We expect it to turn milder from Wednesday and then cold again by the weekend.

“This alternating pattern is likely to continue through January with temperatures fluctuating between below freezing and around 12C, almost triple the seasonal average.â€

Helen Chivers at the Met Office warned: “We have got a few days of very cold weather and frosty nights.â€

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/296129/Wrap-up-now-we-re-colder-than-Moscow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looking over the past few articles, some of the coverage is somewhat sensationalist- I don't see any evidence of a major cold blast this weekend (in fact temperatures will probably be a few degrees higher than over the last few days) and the recent cold bright frosty spell, though noteworthy in the context of this winter so far, is nothing compared with what we had last December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I was going to say, you couldn't make it up. Maybe I shouldn't bother...