Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

The only problem with his forecast is that the low temps in the Atlantic are supposed to disappear by winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The only problem with his forecast is that the low temps in the Atlantic are supposed to disappear by winter

Which makes one wonder at what made him 'forecast' 100 days of snow, the year before last? IMO, he's just another one who likes to pretend he knows things us lesser mortals don't?

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Not according to the ECM long ranger, but it's moot anyway because it doesn't necessarily follow that cold atlantic=cold UK winter. Last year he said we'd have a cold winter because of the easterly QBO, this year it's the cold Atlantic, and next year it will be the Sun or something. The factors change but the outcome is always the same.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Which make one wonder at what made him 'forecast' 100 days of snow, the year before last? IMO, he's just another one who likes to pretend he knows things us lesser mortals don't?

Like Jo laminated floor who is supposedly qualified always forecasts a cold winter. Conclusion they don't know what they are talking about. Annoying the press take the forecasts to sell papers and then blame the met when they forecasts are crap.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I wish James Madden would 'wind down'!

Should he forecast 'calmer' weather then  :laugh:

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Next two years hottest, says Met Office

The next two years could be the hottest on record globally, says research from the UK's Met Office. It warns big changes could be under way in the climate system with greenhouse gases increasing the impact of natural trends. The research shows that a major El Nino event is in play in the Pacific, which is expected to heat the world overall.

But it also reveals that summers in Europe might get cooler for a while as the rest of the globe warms. The scientists confirm that in 2015 the Earth's average surface temperature is running at, or near, record levels (0.68C above the 1961-1990 average).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34226178

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

Met. Office news release.

Big changes underway in the climate system?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2015/big-changes?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I would like to know from met office where is it warming as I think the years are cooling here in Britain obviously depending where you live. But for me it's cool all year round

Posted

Mmm so they're using a natural phenomenon as a reason for warming over the next two years and beyond, or are they implying that temps will rise from here on regardless of what is looking like a Nina following on from this Nino event. I'm remain far from convinced at the attention grabbing headline but warming does look like continuing in the short term for sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I would like to know from met office where is it warming as I think the years are cooling here in Britain obviously depending where you live. But for me it's cool all year round

The surface air temperature measurements show most months this year as the warmest on record globally.

The Japanese Meteorological Agency has some easy to view monthly temperature graphs here http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/gwp/temp/jul_wld.html 

Mmm so they're using a natural phenomenon as a reason for warming over the next two years and beyond, or are they implying that temps will rise from here on regardless of what is looking like a Nina following on from this Nino event. I'm remain far from convinced at the attention grabbing headline but warming does look like continuing in the short term for sure.

Not that warming will be entirely natural, but that natural factors (El Nino, +ve PDO) will accelerate the warming.

I think the main thing will be the big regional differences. We may see cooling if the AMO turns -ve, but the rest of the planet may continue warming.

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34236010

Strongest El Nino since 1950 on the way: An El Nino climate event is under way that could potentially become one of the strongest events since 1950.

That's according to a new Met Office report which says that 2015 has already seen the warmest start to any year on record.

It also outlines that El Nino is one of three key climate patterns that could lead to changes in our global temperature.

The event occurs when the waters of the Pacific become exceptionally warm and distort weather patterns around the world.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

I was half-awake this morning but on Radio 4's "Today" Dame Slingo said that while the rest of the world is warming substantially NW Europe will cool - exactly as has happened to the UK over the past few years.  Apparently this cool period could last  for a decade.

Posted

Met Office Chief Scientist Dame Judith Slingo interviewed here by the BBC’s John Humphrys, long known as a bit of a crank on climate matters.

Slingo calmly brushes his incredulity aside, to explain what those paying attention already know – the Globe is warm, and getting warmer, fast.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted

"UK faces coldest winter for 50yrs" > http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/604619/Long-range-weather-forecast-Britain-cold-winter-2015-arctic-snow-freeze

Naturally James Madden is mentioned  :nonono:

Posted

"UK faces coldest winter for 50yrs" > http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/604619/Long-range-weather-forecast-Britain-cold-winter-2015-arctic-snow-freeze

Naturally James Madden is mentioned  :nonono:

In that case, 1965 was much colder than I remember it? Though I do, I think, recall some very cold, snowy weather in April of that year...

Posted

So if

Met Office Chief Scientist Dame Judith Slingo interviewed here by the BBC’s John Humphrys, long known as a bit of a crank on climate matters.

Slingo calmly brushes his incredulity aside, to explain what those paying attention already know – the Globe is warm, and getting warmer, fast.

So if you question aspects of the science you're a crank then, its funny because I know of no other field in science that takes this approach. Edited by Hocus Pocus
  • Like 1

Posted

So if So if you question aspects of the science you're a crank then, its funny because I know of no other field in science that takes this approach.

The old rhetorical trick, of asking an intelligent-sounding but scientifically-baseless 'question', has you fooled, eh? Sometimes, thankfully, it's the questioner who ends up sounding like a wazzock! :D

• Like 2

Posted

The old rhetorical trick, of asking an intelligent-sounding but scientifically-baseless 'question', has you fooled, eh? Sometimes, thankfully, it's the questioner who ends up sounding like a wazzock! :D

I'm not interested in petty point scoring and it was a direct question.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Is it a general question or entirely directed at knocker?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

In that case, 1965 was much colder than I remember it? Though I do, I think, recall some very cold, snowy weather in April of that year...

It wasn't April, it was January and February.  That winter my school opened its new swimming pool and as I was a non-swimmer I was one of the "elite" who was taught to swim.  The others had to do cross-country in the snow (snigger) because rugby and hockey were snowed off for weeks.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
  • Like 1

Posted

Is it a general question or entirely directed at knocker?

directed at knocker BFTV, I know most scientists and proponents of AGW like to engage in healthy scepticism some don't like any debate, now I'm not implying knocker falls into the latter.

Posted

It was a direct question; it was also one that no scientist would have asked, as he or she would have already known the answer. It's also been asked and answered a zillion times over.

• Like 1

Posted

directed at knocker BFTV, I know most scientists and proponents of AGW like to engage in healthy scepticism some don't like any debate, now I'm not implying knocker falls into the latter.

So what are you implying? I don't have a problem with people questioning aspects of the science providing they use science as the basis of their questioning and don't have some ideologically driven motive.

• Like 1

Posted

So what are you implying? I don't have a problem with people questioning aspects of the science providing they use science as the basis of their questioning and don't have some ideologically driven motive.

My mistake then knocker so apologies for that.

Posted

The Met Office doesn't have a great record with these sort of predictions, who remembers back in 2003 after that summers record breaking heat that we (in the uk) should expect those sort of temperatures (100+F) to occur in 1 in every 3 summers....  15 summers later and it aint happened again, so whatever long range models they use I for one would not take them too seriously............

• Like 3