Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Nathan Rao.....Nathan bloody Rao.......

:angry:

There's only one Nathan Rao...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

who ks the stupid woman who did the itv weather after the news...apparently it will be pershing cold tonight with a low of -2c and tomorrow will be extremely cold with a high of +6c ..i thought i was living in Brazil for a minute..not the UK in the middle of winter.

• Like 1

Posted

Why are the written media especially so bad at reporting weather? Even quality press are poor at times.

From today's Times and it starts with "Sweeping gales from Siberia...." What gales? The air isn't coming directly from Siberia.

"5 days of sub zero weather...." What model shows such temperatures? Temperatures are widely expected to get above zero during the day...

"predicted to leave the UK colder than Greenland" Greenland is a huge place, the interior is definitely going to be colder than the UK

Even the quote by the Met Office spokesperson says 3C-4C. That's not sub zero, it ain't going to be colder than Greenland...

It's media hype and inaccurate reporting.

Posted

Looks like PC has received a promotion from the Express to the Telegraph :blink2:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/11386174/Snow-chaos-hits-Britain-live.html

Piers Corbyn, forecaster for WeatherAction, has blamed a "wildly fluctuating" jet stream for opening the floodgates to Arctic winds.

He warned bitter gales will make it feel close to -15C (5F) in parts of the UK over the next three days with more heavy snow on the way.

He said: "We are getting ready for a big snow hit over Britain and Europe for that matter.

"It is an example of mini ice age conditions which have been causing the severe weather in America and the displaced Polar vortex which is bringing winds in from the Arctic."

No Piers; it's an example of Winter conditions, now get back in your box poppet.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Why are the written media especially so bad at reporting weather? Even quality press are poor at times.

From today's Times and it starts with "Sweeping gales from Siberia...." What gales? The air isn't coming directly from Siberia.

"5 days of sub zero weather...." What model shows such temperatures? Temperatures are widely expected to get above zero during the day...

"predicted to leave the UK colder than Greenland" Greenland is a huge place, the interior is definitely going to be colder than the UK

Even the quote by the Met Office spokesperson says 3C-4C. That's not sub zero, it ain't going to be colder than Greenland...

It's media hype and inaccurate reporting.

Although i do agree with you, I think I did read that Greenland (obviously on its south coast) was going to reach temperatures of 11C for a time recently

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Although i do agree with you, I think I did read that Greenland (obviously on its south coast) was going to reach temperatures of 11C for a time recently

wonder if the Greenland Express headline is record breaking warmth with temps higher than the UK shocker?
  • Like 2

Posted

I'd love a little genie to deliver every express forecast in one winter.

Preferably on top of on express forecaster.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

"It is an example of mini ice age conditions which have been causing the severe weather in America and the displaced Polar vortex which is bringing winds in from the Arctic."

What a load of crap, When will he let go of his silly 'mini ice age' claim.

Posted

What a load of crap, When will he let go of his silly 'mini ice age' claim.

When he's stuck in a 1976-type hot summer? Or when someone tells him what the term ice age means?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Sit tight, hold on the Daily Express is on a roll....again....

"Parts of the country are braced for floods with up to four inches of rain expected in an a matter of hours tomorrow.

A lurking Arctic front is poised to sweep across the UK sending temperatures plunging below freezing again by the end of the week."

Oh no just when spring is loitering....

Posted

Met Office staff may go on strike on Thursday afternoon for 3 hours (those in the Union)

Mild enough but blustery showers about in Exeter

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11431308/Met-Office-staff-to-strike-jeopardising-accuracy-of-weather-forecast.html

Posted

Funny I was just about to post the same story. I well remember the last strike which was a bit of a disaster. I think we were docked a days pension but my memory is a bit hazy on the subject. I've no idea what percentage are in the union these days.

Posted

Funny I was just about to post the same story. I well remember the last strike which was a bit of a disaster. I think we were docked a days pension but my memory is a bit hazy on the subject. I've no idea what percentage are in the union these days.

telegraph claimed 950 in UNion and I think Met Office have just over 2000 staff (not all at Exeter)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

COULDBEFACT.....one that is probably fact but hasn't been checked out...... The Daily Express used the words "Snow" and "ice"  - and other associated words - more times in its headlines this winter than it did in the winters of either 1947 or 1962/63

Posted

And we're off....

B_CtncyXIAAiCio.pngB_CuSz6W4AE1Gcp.png

So Jeff Farrell- front page for a Monday morning, 2nd day of March, easter weekend being over a month away

Temperatures are set to soar to 21C, making it hotter than Spain over the holiday.  21C wow 70F, people will be overcome

Millions of families are expected to head for coastal hotspots such as Brighton. - millions

But the good weather is not arriving just yet.  really is that because it is the start of March

Heavy snow and ice is forecast this week, kicking off a miserable March with a sub-zero chill on the way from Canada.

wait lets put in a Met Office quote , like N.Rao

“This week will be cold with sunny spells and some wintry showersâ€
Met Office forecaster Chris Page

The gloomy outlook from the Met Office also predicted torrential rain, cold evenings and wintry showers in the north. - cold evenings, be prepared!!!

It comes as four inches of snow was set to fall last night in Scotland and two inches in north-west England and Wales on the first official day of Spring. -did you miss the word hills, Chris didn't?

Met Office forecaster Chris Page said: “This week will be cold with sunny spells and some wintry showers.

“These showers will see snow fall on the hills in the north.

“Temperatures will certainly feel cooler because of the blustery winds.†so no mention of Easter heatwave then

Motorists, walkers and cyclists have been warned of icy patches.

:fool:

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Express off again with Easter going to be the HOTTEST EVER at 80f. The ENTIRE country will bake in the fiercest April temperatures for years out scorching Spain Greece and North Africa. Apparently due to an unusual wavy jet stream???.

Ah well a wet and cold Easter weekend on the cards then

• Like 1

Posted

COULDBEFACT.....one that is probably fact but hasn't been checked out...... The Daily Express used the words "Snow" and "ice"  - and other associated words - more times in its headlines this winter than it did in the winters of either 1947 or 1962/63

Pity they were 100%, completely, totally and utterly wrong then, wasn't it!!!!

Posted

Express off again with Easter going to be the HOTTEST EVER at 80f. The ENTIRE country will bake in the fiercest April temperatures for years out scorching Spain Greece and North Africa. Apparently due to an unusual wavy jet stream???.

Yup, whatever the express says it does the opposite. time and time again :lazy: , but could they be right this time........

naaaaagh  :laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Sledges out! :hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Piers Corbyn this time reading what they put as James Madden says snow is coming back

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/564196/Weather-forecast-Easter-Hottest-ever-temperatures-rise-heatwave

“Throughout next next week there is the potential for some more notable and widespread snow showers across the country.

â€œHowever, warmer weather is around the corner, and parts of the UK can expect some widespread warm temperatures and pleasant weather throughout May.â€

And this appeared on his FB page on the 15th

There is also something very big for the time of the year on the cards for later this month - that will take other forecasters by surprise for the UK and Ireland ‪#‎SNOW‬

https://www.facebook.com/ExactaWeather

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Anyone having trouble getting on the US weather channel site? Seems to revert back to the uk one no matter what.